hotrod road trip.. carb swap?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2010, 12:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

hotrod road trip.. carb swap??

Im about to drive a short 375 mile trip in my trans am again. Car has a 383 and an lt1 t56 (.5 6th gear) with a 3.42 posi rear end also from a 4th gen. Right now I have a Holley 750 double pumper with a proform mainbody on the car. Car runs AMAZING with this carb, but I can tell its running slightly rich during cruise. Ive checked my plugs a couple weeks ago, i remember checking cylinders 1 2 3 4 and they were a slight tan color after a decent drive. I checked plug 7 and it was a tad bit rich. I understand you cant make all cylinders run the perfect stocheometric ratio, but you can get close.

I was given an edelbrock 1406 carb (600 cfm electric choke) about a week ago. I took it apart and cleaned it and rebuilt it. It was sitting up for a while. I have yet to put it on my car, but I thought I might as well rebuild it and sell it. Then somthing just popped in my head.. would the smaller carb help with the fuel economy for this trip or would it make the car run too lean during cruise?

Right now the engine is running 30 total centrifugal advance with 20 vacuum advance with a max of 50 degrees during cruise. Should I slap the carb on, or just sell it to pay for gas??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2010, 01:37 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

I'd give it a try, if it doesn't help then sell it.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:12 PM

Last photo:

Thats what I was thinking, Just wanted some input. Thanks!
Old 08-29-2010, 09:37 AM

Last photo:

The 1406 is setup pretty lean from the factory. I have one on a 350 SBC and ended up going about 2 steps richer for both the primaries and secondaries.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:32 PM
More for Less Racer

If the Holley gets 10 mpg, even if the Edel picked up 3 mpg, on a 375 mile trip it likely won't even save enough to pay for the rebuild kit and cleaning fluid. It's not going to be some mpg miracle. I wouldn't think it would be worth the hassle of setting it up, fuel line differences, etc. And thats if the calibration is right(not likely)

Probably make two-three times off selling it what it will return in gas savings on one trip
Old 08-29-2010, 03:36 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

But if you keep the edelbrock and sell the holley, you'd make even more than if you sold the edelbrock.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:30 PM

Last photo:

I slapped it on, but it wasnt as great as I suspected. I put my holley back on the smile came back on my face when i pressed the go pedal hehe. Honestly the car gets horrible mileage if I get into the secondaires, but i imagine the little 600 would also. Doing 70 in my car is only at around 1700 rpm on the interstate, im not positve on what Im getting, but its around 18-22 highway.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:17 PM
More for Less Racer

You should be thrilled that you are getting 18-22 highway, it will take some intense tuning and time to prove each step to make an improvement. It isn't like you have a stock 290hp LT engine w/injection in front of that trans. I think you will be hard pressed to do much better, most guys with performance engines would be extremely happy with your figures.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
You should be thrilled that you are getting 18-22 highway, it will take some intense tuning and time to prove each step to make an improvement. It isn't like you have a stock 290hp LT engine w/injection in front of that trans. I think you will be hard pressed to do much better, most guys with performance engines would be extremely happy with your figures.

I supose you are right.. my fuel gauge is really wonky, but ill see what i get this next few days when i leave for the trip.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:02 PM

Last photo:

Try a leaner jet in your primaries. Just one step leaner may clean your plugs up.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.