Hotrodders Beware!!!!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2007, 09:05 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hotrodders Beware!!!!!!

Hotrodders, especially in Pennsylvania are in serious jeopardy. In January, 2007, PENNDOT _IMPLEMENTED a new "ENHANCED VEHICLE INSPECTION PROGRAM" known as EVIP. This program was developed and enacted without any public exposure, debate, input, or knowledge, just like the insideous midnight pay raise that they tried to foist upon us. Please read about what is going on, or you will soon be paying huge amounts in fines, and new procedures.

Basically, PENNDOT began to develop a program to regulate and identify problem cars, like reconstructions, flood damaged vehicles, etc. Unfortunately, as wilth eveything that the state decides to stick its nose into, it went awry, and some brilliant idiot decided to include any and all cars that are not absolute, 100% stock vehicles.

Here's how it goes. Once the plan gets fully implemented, there will be a network of special inspection stations across the state, and you will have to take your custom, collector, hotrod, streetrod, etc (Or any vehicle tagged by a state trooper as not being 100% stock) to one of these stations for inspection. Inspections may range in price from $100 up to $500, but that is still unknown. If your car passes inspection, you will be issued (And have to pay for) a new title, and the specifics of your vehicle will be entered into a data base.

Now here's where the fun comes in. A state trooper may pull you over at any time, even if you are legally licensed, inspected, etc, and doing absolutely nothing wrong. He will print out a list of specifics from the data base, and compare them to your vehicle. If ANYTHING has changed on your vehicle, he will fine you, declare that your title is now invalid, and force you to go through the expensive inspection and retitling process all over again, and you will not be able to use your car until you comply. Listen to what I said. ANY CHANGE IN YOUR VEHICLE can result in a fine, and costly reinspection and retitleing. So that means that if you change the size of your tires, put on different wheels, add air shocks, add a lift kit, add ground effects, ANYTHING, you are in trouble.

This will affect EVERY SINGLE CAR OWNER AND DRIVER IN THE STATE OF PA, NEW CARS AND OLD. If you buy a brand new truck and put bigger tires on it, YOU ARE IN VIOLATION OF THE NEW LAWS. If you buy a tuner and put ground effects on it, YOU ARE IN VIOLATION OF THE NEW LAWS. If you buy a motorcycle and put custom pipes on it, YOU ARE IN VIOLATION OF THE NEW LAWS. If you replace the engine in your cars with another size engine, YOU ARE IN VIOLATION OF THE NEW LAWS. If you repaint your car, YOU ARE IN VIOLATION OF THE NEW LAWS. If your car develops rust, YOU ARE IN VIOLATION OF THE NEW LAWS. If you put headers on your car, YOU ARE IN VIOLATION OF THE NEW LAWS. If you change the exhaust on your car, YOU ARE IN VIOLATION OF THE NEW LAWS. If you change the air induction system on your car, YOU ARE IN VIOLATION OF THE NEW LAWS. I repeat, anything that deviates from 100% stock, or changes your vehicle in any way from the last time it was titled, IS IN VIOLATION OF THE NEW LAWS.

This is a savage, and brutal attack on the drivers of PA, and especially the car enthusiasts in this state.

What can you do? If you are concerned (You should be FURIOUS!), there are things you can do. Groups are starting to form, but we need all of the help and support we can get from all of you. This is a battle that will depend on grassroots support. No one will fight for us or help us, unless we show that we will not take this sort of thing lying down. Car clubs are starting to rally, petitions are starting to be passed around. People are starting to complain to their elected officials. I urge every driver in PA to sign one of the petitions, and join one of the groups. Volunteer a little of your time and service, or it will untimately cost you much more. Call, email, or write to the state senators and representatives and tell them that you want this stopped. The people that are implementing this insideous program are appointed, but the politicians are elected, so tell them straight out that you are so mad, that if they don't do anything about this, you will not vote for them in the next election.

There has been almost no information about these new laws let out to the public. The state is trying to get inspection stations to sign a contract to become one of these enhanced inspection stations, so if you, or someone you know owns an inspections station, tell them to refuse to join up. If they read the fine print of the contract, they will find out that if they accept the terms of the contract, THEY WILL AGREE TO ACCEPT LIABILITY FOR ANY CURRENT AND FUTURE PROBLEMS RELATED TO OR CAUSED BY ANY VEHICLE THEY INSPECT.

A friend of mine, and longtime car enthusiast, Bob Pisaneschi is locally spearheading the fight against the new laws. He has already been in contact with State Representative Dan Surra, who was totally unaware of the extent of PENNDOTS plans. Mr Surra, a car enthusiast himself, was quick to promote the creation of a MOTORSPORTS CAUCUS in the state legislature, to protect the rights of car enthusiasts in the state of PA. Every driver in PA needs to contact MR. Surra (814-375-4688), and give him your support, and tell him that you don't agree with the new Enhanced Vehicle Inspection Program, and its impact on drivers, car owners, and car enthusiasts in the state of PA. Every driver should also contact his or her own State Representatives and Senators, and voice these same concerns to them. If you would like Bob Pisaneschi to talk to your group or car club, to learn the true extent and potential impact of these new laws, and to see how you can help, PM me, and I will put you in touch with him.

Please, I urge every driver and car owner in PA, and especially those of us who own custom, collector, streetrod, hotrod, or any other type of special vehicle, to get involved in the fight now, and not let the state of PA pull these Gestapo-like tactics on the law abiding drivers and car enthusaists of PA. If you don;t do it, no one else will, and you will have no one else to blame, but yourself, when collector and special interest vehicles become a thing of the past. This is truely a sad day in the history of this great state, when a decent, law-abiding interest and hobby like ours is targeted for destruction by a few self-serving, misinformed, beurocratic bozos like the ones who developed these new policies

From Nitrogeezers web site

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2007, 09:53 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

All I can say at the moment is "WOW!"

I also recall reading about something similar happening in Utah.

I know that SEMA has left a bit of a bad taste in the mouths of some members here ... but they, and their membership, have a lot at stake in this. If there are laws passed that discourage modifications to vehicles ... a lot of aftermarket accesory / performance companies are going to fold.

Perhaps a letter / e-mail to them advising them of emerging trends may garner some support / attention / money / lobbying ... etc.

NHRA?
NASCAR?
Powerblock TV?

The more I think about this, the angrier I become.
I don't want to drive "cookie-cutter" rice-burners ... and this is where we're heading ... if this turns out to lead to the demise of the "American Muscle" car.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:45 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Bob, after reading this a couple of times, it appears that PennDOT has made an independent decision to implement an internal DECISION to enforce rules and not laws. That or a State Representative has been asleep on the job. This happens over and over again in our ever growing government and it takes a near uprising in the general population to reverse rulings by governing agencies that are supposed to only implement law.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention 'cause it is a threat to our hobby.

Trees
Old 05-10-2007, 06:12 AM
Last photo:

No doubt the threat is there, but I can't help but wonder how long this legislation will remain in effect if implemented. I can for see this really tying the hands of law enforcement if they devote precious time doing these silly inspections. How many robberies, murders and such will be committed while my car is being looked at on the side of the road to determine if I have installed a larger carb. The public and law enforcement outcry will stifle this goofy legislation in time.

Vince
Old 05-10-2007, 06:37 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Thanks for the heads up on this Bobcrman. This is huge. Not just for Penn. rodders but for car owners everywhere because if Penn does it, other states are sure to think they ought to follow "just to be on the safe side".

I would guess that SEMA is already circling the wagons (this will have a MAJOR impact on the entire aftermarket industry) but by the sound of it it's going to require a big time effort to stop this.

Those of us outside the state need to not only remain alert to what's going on here but we need to support the efforts in Penn to stop it. Hopefully Hotrodders.Com can be a conduit for passing along information and getting rodders involved.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:08 AM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

Just called Mr. Surra's office, and offered our help.

The bill is here: http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI...3/0/HB2066.HTM . Actual text of the bill is here: http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...r=2066&pn=4752 .

SEMA is a marketing association, not a non-profit organization. If this can be significantly demonstrated to affect their members' profits, then they can be expected to intervene. Or, if they are somehow profiting or otherwise benefiting from the bill, then they can be expected to support it. I couldn't find any information on their site about it.

Quote:
If your car develops rust, YOU ARE IN VIOLATION OF THE NEW LAWS.
Sounds dubious. Some of the above announcement has got to be politically-charged hyperbole.

Quote:
A state trooper may pull you over at any time, even if you are legally licensed, inspected, etc, and doing absolutely nothing wrong.
This sounds like a clear Fourth Amendment violation. I'm wondering what the exact implementation of this policy is on a day-to-day basis. Hotrodders being pulled over, just for driving a hot rod? That would definitely be a call to action for us.

I'm curious as to why this wasn't addressed when the bill was first introduced?

Also, I couldn't find this on the NitroGeezers website, although I can see in Google that it's made it onto a few other boards. Who is the original author of the above post? If anyone has any more details, please let me know.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:40 AM

Last photo:

One word: REVOLUTION.

Chris
Old 05-10-2007, 11:02 AM

Last journal entry: Timepiece - Design in Blue

It definitely deserves to be dealt with. My guess is that it really has little to do with custom vehicles, and is intended to support some other program they have going. I was involved briefly with a Pennsylvania Weed & Seed program, and they cleared the way for the local cops in the designated area to stop people for ANY possible violation, real or suspected. They really weren't targeting the average person, but trying to gain access to the inside of more vehicles to find drug dealers and users. By stopping you for not using your turn signal when pulling away from a curb, they could see if there was any evidence of drugs in the vehicle. An inconvenience for sure, but the other option was rampant illegal activity. Ultimately, after the initial overreaction (on both ends) things settled down and only those with reason to be concerned are concerned. I don't live there, but I have business contacts in the area. Overall, I appreciate the effort to make it a safer place.

I doubt very seriously that cops are just going to start harassing hotrodders. Most likely they'll use the laws to help them target specific individuals. HOWEVER, I still think it warrants public resistance, if for no other reason than to keep a healthy balance. We want the freedom to do whatever we want - not always the safest way to live. They want the ability to keep everything under tight control - not the American way to live. The two usually balance each other out.

Edit - I forgot to mention that, incredibly, people who engage in illegal activities often drive customized vehicles. Instead of trying to keep as low a profile as possible, they tend to "advertise" with flashy cars and apparel. Weed & Seed is huge in PA right now, and I can see how they could use this to support it. You're a State Trooper and see a vehicle that you know is owned and operated by known criminals. You suspect that the vehicle may be transporting large quantities of illegal substances, but they're following the traffic laws to a "T". If you could run their registration and find some new part that was added, and have a right to stop the vehicle... Probably gives them the right to search the vehicle for more "equipment violations" as well.

Most likely, if that same State Trooper sees a nice 72 Chevelle with a blower sticking out of the hood and the new 20" Mickey Thompsons stuffed under the back, he'd probably just smile and wave.

One the other hand, it does leave the door open for an overzealous cop to abuse the system - so it should be balanced...

Last edited by toddshotrods; 05-10-2007 at 11:14 AM. Reason: forgot sumpin
Old 05-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon

SEMA is a marketing association, not a non-profit organization. If this can be significantly demonstrated to affect their members' profits, then they can be expected to intervene. Or, if they are somehow profiting or otherwise benefiting from the bill, then they can be expected to support it. I couldn't find any information on their site about it.

I am inclined to think this is not as big an issue as what some would make it out to be.

You would think that it would interest SEMA in that the law, as stated here on the forum, would make it so that no one in the state of Pa could buy ,install or use any aftermarket performance or appearance part.

I couldn't find anything on the SEMA website either.

The bill Jon linked to has been in effect since 2004, the section dealing with streetrods needing an inspection came into effect on january 1 2007.

I think some people should read the text of the bill, there is nothing near as alarming as what was in the OP.
In fact, here is one section,

Quote:
27 (C) SAFETY INSPECTION CRITERIA FOR STREET RODS.--THE
28 DEPARTMENT, AFTER CONSULTATION WITH THE NATIONAL STREET ROD
29 ASSOCIATION AND OTHER INTERESTED GROUPS, SHALL PRESCRIBE SPECIAL
30 INSPECTION CRITERIA FOR VEHICLES REGISTERED AS STREET RODS.
20030H2066B4752 - 12 -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 VEHICLES REGISTERED AS STREET RODS WILL NOT BE REQUIRED TO BE
2 EQUIPPED WITH BUMPERS, FENDERS OR ENGINE COVERAGE AS ORIGINALLY
3 MANUFACTURED. IF THE HOOD, TOP AND SIDES, OR BOTH, ARE REMOVED
4 FROM THE VEHICLE THE ENGINE FAN MUST BE ENCLOSED WITH A SHROUD
5 DESIGNED TO PROTECT THE FAN FROM ACCIDENTAL CONTACT FROM THE
6 OUTSIDE.
They are consulting with NSRA to compile the rules., if SEMA isn't going to do anything, it's probably because they don't see this an issue.

Read up a little further on the list where is says who will be on the advisory committee to make the rules.

It has more businessmen from the automotive industry than beaurocrats. In fact several politician types initially listed were crossed out.

I would do some real research before I went off saying that you can get fined for changing paint, having a rusty car..etc. As Jon said, it sounds like hyperbole.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 05-10-2007, 12:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddshotrods
My guess is that it really has little to do with custom vehicles, and is intended to support some other program they have going.
You could be right, but it seems like an awfully round-a-bout way, to take on the entire Hot Rod Nation, to catch some drug dealers. Again, not saying if could be what's behind this, just seems like there would be MUCH more effective laws they could pass if that is what they want to do.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
Just called Mr. Surra's office, and offered our help.
Excellent move. Let us know what you hear back, if anything, and what they suggest we can do to help oppose the bill.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:41 PM

Last journal entry: Timepiece - Design in Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
You could be right, but it seems like an awfully round-a-bout way, to take on the entire Hot Rod Nation, to catch some drug dealers. Again, not saying if could be what's behind this, just seems like there would be MUCH more effective laws they could pass if that is what they want to do.
It is round-a-about, but sometimes that's what it takes to catch them. Criminal types invest a great deal of time into avoiding and skirting the law. The ones who are serious at it and make a living doing it, often know the laws that pertain to them as well as or better than the people trying to enforce them. I am not saying this is definitely what this law is for, but it would serve that purpose well, because it would literally catch them off guard.

I also live two blocks from the OH/PA border and everything we do is usually in PA. I have a lot of custom car associates in PA, and have been told by a few that the laws have recently been relaxed for street rods - as posted above. I've never heard any of them mention this, which made me think it could possibly have been instituted for an alternative purpose.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:12 PM

Last photo:

Jon, The posting was taken from the Nitrogeezers member e-mail postings. There is quite a bit of discussion on it.

In this day, "Common sense" is not allowed in a court room and after being a victim a few times. I personally am quite sensitive to any of the new "rules" ordinances and laws being forced upon an unsuspecting public. These rules being interpreted differently by the various enforcement people to fit their situation.

In Michigan the unwarrented stopping of a motorist is grouped under the catch all of "Vehicle inspection." It's done all the time, especially on older vehicles.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

I just bought myself a "work" truck ... a 1992 GMC K1500 pickup.

Being that it is more than 10 years old, my insurance company stipulated that it had to be inspected for roadworthiness before they would offer to insure it.

One of the check-boxes on the supplied form was:
"Has this vehicle been altered for speed or performance" [Yes] [No]

My mechanic had checked [Yes] ... which I knew was wrong ... it's a bone stock 305.
(We all know that "Bone Stock 305" and "performance" can not be used in the same sentence, right? )

So I phoned the insurance co. today (with this thread in the back of my mind), asking for a definition of "altered", and the implications involved. (I was thinking higher premiums.)

Answer: ANYTHING that the vehicle was not originally equipped with, including tires. There were other items mentioned, but I picked up on "tires".

"TIRES?" I asked ...

[Paraphrased Response] More specifically, tire size ... if the incorrect size has been installed, the speedometer may not be reading correctly. If speed is a contributing factor in any collision, it may have a bearing on your elegibilty for coverage. I reminded her that there ARE ways to re-calibrate.

Yes, I know ... there are a multitude of reasons to discriminate, and that it's all about avoiding having to pay claims in this situation ... but if it's OK for insurance companies to make judgements, it leaves the door wide open for others as well.

============================

Here's something else to consider:
Some of the modifications that we "hot-rodders" (general term) perform actually ENHANCE or IMPROVE the safety of our rides.

My 66 GMC, for example, will now be sporting hydroboost-assisted power disc brakes and 11-5/32 x 2-3/4 rear shoes ... quite an improvement from the 11 x 2 manual drums! It's also going to have a beefy front sway bar ... another big improvement over NOTHING.

We need to promote the fact that we are much more than a bunch of post-adolescent tire-fryers and street-racers, and that safety is an important aspect and consideration in most of our builds.

We HAVE TO change the negative image association with our hobby.
Join your local car club.
Be responsible.
Promote safe driving practices.

Last edited by 66GMC; 05-10-2007 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:43 AM

Last photo:

One Word: CANADA

Where I live (British Columbia), we don't have to put up with any of this bull**** you guys have to. I really feel for the folks who have to stop doing what they love because millionaires up in parliament would rather drive a new mercedes than a vintage ride.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.