Hotrodders.com acquired by AutoGuide - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2012, 01:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

Hotrodders.com acquired by AutoGuide

Hotrodders.com has been acquired by AutoGuide, a company that runs forums. I have been hired by AutoGuide to remain as administrator.

Why? Time/stress/money/life/site growth/legal vulnerability. Being hired to stay on as an admin keeps me connected to the community, but not as the formal owner. In addition, we're growing exponentially, and we can benefit greatly from the tech team that they bring to the table.

There's a lot that goes into a decision like this. When I started this site out of the corner of my bedroom more than a decade ago, I never could've imagined the adventure it turned out to be. Thank you all for the opportunity. For the ride.

There is no "hotrodding expert" being parachuted in, and I am not expecting that there will be significant changes around here. I also know that most of us have been around the web long enough to know that online communities are ultimately controlled by their members, and not their owners. AutoGuide will be handling the entire backend, and all new development for Hotrodders.com and the CrankshaftCoalition.com wiki (including an upcoming forum software upgrade). In addition, we'll be adding one AutoGuide rep: Helena Barclay, who will be joining us in this thread to answer any questions.

This is, as usual, an open thread. Feedback, constructive criticism, questions -- I'll do my best to answer. If you have ideas on how to further build or improve Hotrodders.com, this is a good time to let them be heard.

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Last journal entry: test
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hi Everyone,

My name is Helena and I work for AutoGuide.com, as you have read above we are now the proud owners of hotrodders.com. I would like to start out with letting you all know that we are not here to close this site or change this community; we are here to help improve the functionality of the site and help it grow to a new level. We have a great team of tech support that is here to fix any functional issues you have with the site, and help keep the site updated and working. I am here whenever you need help with anything, or if you have a question or concern.

With that I would like you all to know that this is still YOUR community and we are here to work with the community and the existing staff to keep this site a place for you to come and feel at home.

Feel free to post your concerns or questions below or you can PM me any time, you may also email me at helena@autoguide.com.

Thank you everyone.
Helena
Old 04-09-2012, 01:16 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,031 Posts
What can I say....wow, this is a shocker.

Brian
Old 04-09-2012, 01:58 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

Jon

Thanks for all the hard work keeping things going over the years, I am sure that a site this popular has been a challenge to keep up to. I can totally understand that life goes on and one needs to move along with it. Glad you are still here and will keep it honest.

Hi Helena,

Welcome to the best hotrodding site on the WEB, together with all the other members I am sure we can keep it that way!

TJ
Old 04-09-2012, 02:18 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Jon,

As long as you'll still be here as the admin and the place runs like it always has, I think the rest of us will be here too. Thank you sooooo much for everything you have done for this forum and community.

Here's to a new era.

Again, thank you.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:36 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Jon,
I completely understand why you chose to sell. The last couple of years had to be a drain on you and you're bank account. Thank God that's over and its just too bad George Lavin escaped some serious jail time in the process. His arrogance and intimidation tactics finally worked to his disadvantage for once and a terrible company has been finally, and hopefully for ever, put out of business. If ever anyone had grit, it would be you.

To the AutoGuide people, I would only suggest this: People are resistant to change, myself especially. If you have changes in mind for this site, I would bring them on line gradually and piece meal, not all at once. Most of us are here because we like the HR.com the way it is and we appreciate the way Jon has administered the site and stood up for what was right. We feel a loyalty to Jon. Now that the ownership of HR.com is no longer in his hands and a faceless entity has taken over, that loyalty factor is no longer there. The fastest way to drive long time members away is to abruptly change things, so please go slowly and it wouldn't hurt to ask for members opinions before jumping off the deep end with a boat load of changes. That includes bombarding us with ads like many other forums do.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Old age and treachery will always trump youth and exuberance." - Anonymous

Last edited by Centerline; 04-09-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:37 PM

Last photo:

In case your wondering,,,check out the other forums under the big wing. It is all about advertisement, nothing wrong with that I suppose,,,we all gotta make a buck.

Just wondering if we here will soon be bombarded with adds? hope not.

http://www.autoforums.com/
Old 04-09-2012, 02:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom10
In case your wondering,,,check out the other forums under the big wing. It is all about advertisement, nothing wrong with that I suppose,,,we all gotta make a buck.

Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"You just can't fix stupid!" - Anonymous
Old 04-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

This is the mother site. http://www.autoguide.com/

Relatively clean of ads. Let's not jump to conclusions.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline

To the AutoGuide people, I would only suggest this: People are resistant to change, myself especially. If you have changes in mind for this site, I would bring them on line gradually and piece meal, not all at once.
I call it "New Manager-itis" and it is a killing condition.

Now that my shock has passed, yes by all means Jon, thank you so much, you are very skilled and have created a hell of a forum!

Helena, welcome to a great site!

Brian
Old 04-09-2012, 02:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom10

It may be because you aren't signed up, even Hotrodders has a ton of ads if you aren't signed up. I noticed two of my favorite forums are on that Autoguide list Team Camaro and Team Chevelle, both EXCELLENT sites so I have to assume Hotrodders will stay much like it is.

Brian
Old 04-09-2012, 03:09 PM

Last photo:

Roger that Brian, I know that signing up will rid one of those pesky adds.

In keeping with other sites under the big wing, checkout the chevy volt forum site, nothing but adds and small space for the forum at the bottom.

http://www.voltforums.com/

Not trying to be negative, just dont want to go there, other than that,,,as Dorris Day put it Que Sera Sera.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:12 PM
never 2 old to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
Hotrodders.com has been acquired by AutoGuide, a company that runs forums. I have been hired by AutoGuide to remain as administrator.

Why? Time/stress/money/life/site growth/legal vulnerability. Being hired to stay on as an admin keeps me connected to the community, but not as the formal owner. In addition, we're growing exponentially, and we can benefit greatly from the tech team that they bring to the table.

There's a lot that goes into a decision like this. When I started this site out of the corner of my bedroom more than a decade ago, I never could've imagined the adventure it turned out to be. Thank you all for the opportunity. For the ride.

There is no "hotrodding expert" being parachuted in, and I am not expecting that there will be significant changes around here. I also know that most of us have been around the web long enough to know that online communities are ultimately controlled by their members, and not their owners. AutoGuide will be handling the entire backend, and all new development for Hotrodders.com and the CrankshaftCoalition.com wiki (including an upcoming forum software upgrade). In addition, we'll be adding one AutoGuide rep: Helena Barclay, who will be joining us in this thread to answer any questions.

This is, as usual, an open thread. Feedback, constructive criticism, questions -- I'll do my best to answer. If you have ideas on how to further build or improve Hotrodders.com, this is a good time to let them be heard.

I have to say, I agree with everything that has already be said. This has been a great site and I hope it stays that way. Thank you Jon for all that you have done in the past and will continue to do in the future but with less headaches.

Welcome Helena and AutoGuide.com You have some big shoes to fill. Again welcome.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
This is the mother site. http://www.autoguide.com/

Relatively clean of ads. Let's not jump to conclusions.
Not jumping to any conclusions. Of the hundred or so forums owned by AutoGuide, I visited several earlier today. Tons of ads on everyone I visited. Maybe it was because I'm not registered on them, I don't know for sure... but it wasn't encouraging, I'll say that much.

When you think about it... what is their motivation in buying HR.com? ADVERTISING !!! That's how they make their money. Jon wasn't in this to "make a million" but a faceless entity probably won't care about bombarding the site with ads. Of the websites AutoGear owns that I visited most had a large area at the center of the screen with ads and ads down both sides of the page with a small section in the middle for the forum. I'll withhold final judgment for now, and I hope I'm wrong... but I doubt it.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"I'm not upset that they lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe them" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Last edited by Centerline; 04-09-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Last journal entry: test
Last photo:

Hey everyone,

Every change made to this site will go through your moderator team, i have already disused ad changes with them.

Yes most of our sites have ads, but you are looking at them as guests, when you are a registered user ads are minimal.
Closed Thread

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.