Hot Rod Forum banner

Hotrodders.com March Art Contest, 31 - 32 Model A Fords "Finished Street Rods"

6K views 43 replies 9 participants last post by  Only Racing 
#1 ·
Hotrodders.com March Art Contest, 31 - 32 Model A Fords "Finished Street Rods"

Hotrodders.com March Art Contest, 31 - 32 Model A Fords "Finished Street Rods" Any Style "No Rat Rods"

Joel Nelson winner of last months Hotrodders Art Contest has made his choice and looks like a good one at that. 31 -32 Fords "Finished Hot Rods" full fendered, fenderless; meaning painted complete no "rat rods". They can be any body style 2-3-5 doors tudors and so on, must be a complete car this time. One of the all time favorites of the street rodders by all means. So get out your art media, pencls, markers crayons, computer, camera; whatever you choose and come play in this.

Contest begins now and will end on March 26th leaving five days for voting, Thanks in advance for playing in the Hotrodders art contest

See less See more
#27 ·
Gee guys, don't take me wrong, I'm not complaining about anything. I just wish I could do what you guys are doing with a computer. I now that there are different types of work, I mess around with oils, acrylics, clay or what ever I can get my hands on to be creative. I love what 57, does, I really like that gas station from last month and Doodler, you've got a neat style the way you do our tunes and Only Racing , your work is great, the Nova you done awhile back blew me away and what you do with this contest is great. Everyones style is different and unique, that why I keep checking in. Again, don't take what I had the wrong way, I just wish more people would enter the contest, I know there's more talent out there. Oh yea thanks for the comments on my work. OR, thanks for the comparison to Dave Deal, I grew up with with him and Dave Bell so they were my inspirations. later, Phil

#28 ·
IROC100 said:
Gee guys, don't take me wrong, I'm not complaining about anything. I just wish I could do what you guys are doing with a computer. I now that there are different types of work, I mess around with oils, acrylics, clay or what ever I can get my hands on to be creative. I love what 57, does, I really like that gas station from last month and Doodler, you've got a neat style the way you do our tunes and Only Racing , your work is great, the Nova you done awhile back blew me away and what you do with this contest is great. Everyones style is different and unique, that why I keep checking in. Again, don't take what I had the wrong way, I just wish more people would enter the contest, I know there's more talent out there. Oh yea thanks for the comments on my work. OR, thanks for the comparison to Dave Deal, I grew up with with him and Dave Bell so they were my inspirations. later, Phil
Maybe my wording wasn't right Iroc, I was definatley praising you, ever since I lost the use of my hand dexterity I miss being able to draw my stuff real fast, now it seems that amouse llows me more control but man I'd sure like to take out a pad and inks and plain draw, I admire all of you and you different styles, please take my above comment as a gesture of your fine artwork in praise.
Sincerely Mark

#30 ·
Me personally, I begin with a photo and from there, it's a bunch of different ways to do it depending on the contest, the photo toons were a kinda plaything since I'm a photographer I have access to my large format pictures, the bigger they are the better. I moved on to drawing out the car and simply painting it, all the stuff I use is basic photoshop tools that are in any of the programs. I mainly had to learn layers and that was it, once you learn layers, you're good to go, knowing when to flatten them or when to merge them. All the neat photoshop stuff like brushes and gradients are readliy available anywhere on the net for free I may add. I've taught guys within an hour to create something cool and give them a head start.

The more advanced guys know the pen tool, which I just can't seem to get right, i have two versions of photoshop on my comp and both pen tools work different.

#31 ·
Man, am I late posting this month! First of all, cudos goes to the guys that have contributed artwork this month. Nice work, guys! I've been so busy with work this month that I just breezed in here now and then, and just today managed to quickly do a colored pencil rendering of this month's subject, and after reading more closely, I found that it was pertaining to a finished rod. Oh oh, I drew up a neglected roadster sitting out in a field. I'll have to pay more attention in the future! LOL

#32 ·
brickyardboy said:
just today managed to quickly do a colored pencil rendering of this month's subject, and after reading more closely, I found that it was pertaining to a finished rod. Oh oh, I drew up a neglected roadster sitting out in a field. I'll have to pay more attention in the future! LOL

Still very cool work ..... I did the same thing in November. Had the right car, but had the wrong year.

#33 ·
Well Brickyard, I think it'll buff out :thumbup:

Again, I'm not gonna make this one, A bad virus got into my machine and took out most of my presets and added photoshop stuff. But I will be able to get this poll up as soon as the contest date ends, man I really wanted to get in on this one, my only form of relatation anymore, lol.

#37 ·
Iroc, I've never tried Gimp but heard good things, Me personally it's always photoshop but always it's personal preference. I believe all have layers so again, once you catch onto layers, you will find it easy to begin crafting digital work, Didn't I send you a copy of Photoshop before ??

#41 ·
Only Racing said:
Iroc, I've never tried Gimp but heard good things, Me personally it's always photoshop but always it's personal preference. I believe all have layers so again, once you catch onto layers, you will find it easy to begin crafting digital work, Didn't I send you a copy of Photoshop before ??
Mark, I think you're referring to me. You sent me a copy of Photoshop CS and Image Ready a few months ago, which I greatly appreciate. I have a slow learning curve, and not lots of free time to practice, plus it's installed on my wife's laptop, so I've had limited time with the program so far. Last time I played with it, I was trying to learn the function of all the tools, options and pallettes, and started to remove backround and try the layer option. Next I'll read the tuturals and take little steps to digest it. It's a great program!

#42 ·
brickyardboy said:
Mark, I think you're referring to me. You sent me a copy of Photoshop CS and Image Ready a few months ago, which I greatly appreciate. I have a slow learning curve, and not lots of free time to practice, plus it's installed on my wife's laptop, so I've had limited time with the program so far. Last time I played with it, I was trying to learn the function of all the tools, options and pallettes, and started to remove backround and try the layer option. Next I'll read the tuturals and take little steps to digest it. It's a great program!
Man, it was killing me Brickyard, I couldn't figure that out, lol. Remember how I told you that the laptop was gonna be hard, at least for me it is, I need a mouse at least, those pads can be devastating when you push them wrong, lol. Well at least I know now, really it was bugging me to death. I hope you find some time and try new stuff, all these guys here are really into some neat stuff with illustrator and other very hard programs, which I'd love to learn but just need a new comp first.

Looking at one of these: http://www.falcon-nw.com/ choose configure a Talon, I love this website, awesome machines and I only know PC's not MAC

#43 ·
Only Racing said:
Man, it was killing me Brickyard, I couldn't figure that out, lol. Remember how I told you that the laptop was gonna be hard, at least for me it is, I need a mouse at least, those pads can be devastating when you push them wrong, lol. Well at least I know now, really it was bugging me to death. I hope you find some time and try new stuff, all these guys here are really into some neat stuff with illustrator and other very hard programs, which I'd love to learn but just need a new comp first.

Looking at one of these: http://www.falcon-nw.com/ choose configure a Talon, I love this website, awesome machines and I only know PC's not MAC
You're right about not having a lot of control using the pad. I will be buying a plug-in mouse soon, which should be a lot easier to manipulate. Next computer will be a desktop, so I always know where it is! :D

#44 ·
My comp now is a Falcon Northwest and it's been plugging along since 2004 but granted it was way overbilt in the beginning, now it's time for a new one but don't really want windows 7 unless I can get XP on it also which they will do for me, Machine or should I say just the box comes in at around 2,450 without shipping and again it's overbuilt but I'd rather stay ahead of the game. That truly is funny about the finding your laptop, lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.