Is Hotrodding Changing? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2003, 11:57 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Is Hotrodding Changing?

While welcoming 69SS back to our sport I couldn't help but think of the things that have happened in the last 20 or so years. What do you think is the biggest thing that has served to help keep our sport alive? Is it the aftermarket industry, swap meets, girls in swimsuits, etc?
Happy Rodding,
Vern

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2003, 01:28 PM

Last photo:

Well imnot what you would call a hotrodders,although i want to be someday. But for me the biggest thing is all of the people with hotrods that have good attitudes. I went to some car shows and talked to people for hours, and that really inspired me to start my own project (even though it was a 84 Z28 lol) But i think its the influence of the older hotrodders out there.
Old 08-09-2003, 02:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Definitely...girls in swimsuits.
Old 08-09-2003, 05:44 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

girls in swim suits for sure 4jaw!

The biggest influence on rodding in the past 20 years? The whole thing, muscle cars,Rods,drag cars,stock unmolested show cars. Everything coming together, parts vender's, swap meets, people helping people enjoy this hobby!

Todd

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 08-09-2003, 06:14 PM
Anything with a throttle

Last photo:

I'm with TM....the whole thing....There are not that many cons to the sport and technology is incredible. And, we even have the import crap keeping the cops busy! Last night I spun the tires for 10 to 15 feet in the light rain and as I turned the corner I saw two officers in a squad car staring right at me. They didn't even follow me. I do have dog dish hubcaps on the car while I'm putting tires on the Centerlines. They probably think Mrytle's foot slipped in her old Monte Carlo.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:13 PM

Last photo:

passion
Old 08-09-2003, 09:27 PM
Rooster

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I believe hot rods are dieing a not so slow death. when I was in high school, and don't get me wrong, it wasn't that long ago, but everyone had a hot rod. or they at least tried. every teenage boy had a car that he bought, he fixed up the best his money would allow, he drove and he loved. by the time he was a senior usually his car looked pretty sharp and was fairly quick too. speculation as to who had the fastest car ran amuck, and didn't it seem like someone always had a wickedly nasty, crazily fast station wagon that always ended up getting wrecked before it could establish it's place as the undisputed king of the streets (my high school had two such wagons)? now days if you see a goat or super sport lurching it's way up to the stop light it's being driven by a middle aged or older person. drive by your local high school; all you will see is two or three year old four bangers that mommy and daddy bought their spoiled teenager who knows less about wrenching than geometry. when I was 17 if your car was newer than twenty years old it just wasn't cool....
Old 08-10-2003, 06:07 AM

Last journal entry: 2 years later
Last photo:

i think rodding is on the decline here,all the young guys cant afford the money for parts and fuel like the old days,i bought a good used tranny for my old rod in the 80s for 100.00 , last month i put new wheel bearings in my minivan that cost 200.00 a set.no wonder the guys with the real cars are grey headed, they are the ones who can afford them. when the young guys see my vette, they all want one, but couldnt afford the gas if the car was free...mike
Old 08-10-2003, 08:37 AM

Last photo:

its definitly not what it used to be..but i think the car shows and swap meets keep it going. its a chance for everyone who is even remotely interested to get right in the middle of it and look at parts, cars, and ask questions. its a expensive hobby for a young kid. but i do see alot of suped up hondas with these carbon fibre hoods huge wings on the back and expensive rims so times have changed hell my daughter drives a half suped honda and my oldest son drives a bmw but the real telltale is on friday nites i can remember you couldnt pull up to a light without running somebody a chevelle, javelin, cuda, challenger. there was always somebody looking to run . i get my fix going to carlisle a few times a year . and now finally taking a friday nite cruise..
Old 08-10-2003, 08:45 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I would say that I am a new generation Hotrodder, and my passion for it came from my Dad. He always talked about cars they had in the 60's in high school and kindof pointed my head towards engine performance and putting parts together that did not fit. He never had the time or money to build a rod, so he helped me build one for my first vehicle. I was hooked before I ever got the 57 home for the first time.

Lately, the net has kept up my interest. I dont have time to go to events all the time and build my projects. Chatting on the net about hotrods keeps my interest up and my mind sharp about all the parts, tuning, and fabrication tricks.

Chris
Old 08-10-2003, 09:38 AM
All Throttle...No Bottle

""THIS SITE""! ! ! !.......and girls in swimsuits ! !

Actually I dont think the sport is dieing...its just thining out because the older cars that everyone wants to restore are getting harder to find. I mean I would much rather be working on my 66 Chevelle but finding one worth restoring at a decent price is almost impossible....thats why i have an S10.

Also, if you're a rodder, pass it on to your kids...thats the only way we're gonna keep this sport alive. I'm not saying force it on them but if they're interested let em turn a few wrenches with you.

S10
Old 08-10-2003, 10:26 AM
Sittin' on top of the world...

Last photo:

Hotrodding is NOT dead and no thanks to the Internet or the Silicone Valley 401(K), shadetree rodding has morphed into something the average car-enthusiastic individual, or Kid, can't even begin to afford hence, the "hotrod" Civic and late 70's to 80's American "Dream Machine". Thank to the retired Boomers, most big cruise-in's look more like trailer-in roadster shows. Most classic fixer-uppers are out of reach especially, on a kid budget. for the average person there is no shortage of interest in classic American iron, just a shortage of capital. For school kids, sometimes nessessity trumps the need for speed - ain't it grand, in most cases, this is only a temporary disability!

Last edited by PrimeMover; 08-10-2003 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-10-2003, 05:58 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

Aftermarket is killing but at the sametime saving hotrodding.
Companys got a hand in everything making the mags less of a hotrod thing and more of an instruction manual for there parts.
Yet at the sametime when the smog nazigo after our cars theaftermarketstands up for us to protect it customers.
When I first started rodding I got an old 51 chevy pickup.I had all the Jeg's catolog dreams and a scrapyard budget.I'm lucky I had someone there to teach me,you can go fast in 2yrs or drive it tommarow.The mags don't show you nothing anymore,rather than tell you what car to get a set of 3.73s from and what SSI cam to choose.They choose to grab the sponsors buck and sell some $500 heads and a $200 intake for Scoggin Dickey or someone.
Another factor is there are no more rear wheel drive cars being made.As the old cars get old and go to the scrappers the supplie of junk parts for us poor guys dwindles,leaving only the aftermarket for the rich guys.Anyone try to find a "junkyard 350"???Not happening anymore.
Evan dragracing ain't what its sposed to be.Everything is money if your poor you can't compete,so you run brackets.Brackets are pretty lame,theres no competeition its all reaction time verse how well you dial your window.Yourcar don't matter you can run a 21sec Yugo and dominate.
Itsbecome standard to buy not build.There for those who can't afford which is your average hotrodder,can't learn how to hotrod because were just given a grocery list of expensive parts from Hotrod.We can't mod anything 73 and newer without some unemployed California treehugger telling us our cars pollute worse than the smoke stacks they give exemptions too.And smog legal parts thats a ****ing joke!!!There for the most part more expensive cause the manufacturer knows they got ya by the Balls,cause its the only thing you can use.
As for me I can't be without a hotrod so I scour the swap meets and leftover yards for yesterdays parts that don't meet up to todays fades and Jegs catolog fantasys and I tune um to there best.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:30 AM
Chevy sittin' low

I agree, hotrodding is an expensive sport. I'm 20 and make way more than my friends, due to being active duty national guard. I was talking with some friends tonight and a couple of them couldn't believe that I'm making approx. $1800-$2000 a month after taxes. They all buy nice clothes, stereo equipment, drive new cars, and other thing too look cool, but I'm always busy buying parts for my car and paying rent. My buddies thought that I wasn't making good money, because I drive an old car(which is looking better by the month) and live in the barracks on base (cheaper then ANYTHING off base.) Every time I'm working on my car and "improving" something, they just think that it's broke down again. They don't understand the concept of upgrading and going faster. Sometimes I think about where I could be living, what new car I could go buy, or what I could be doing too get chicks (well I still do a little bit of that), but the satisfaction of turning a piece of coal into a diamond is exhilirating. Turning wrenches is at times therapuetic. Well, too make this short, it's true, my buddies would love too have a classic, but cant' afford too fix one up or pay the gas too drive one. It's just so dang hard too convince others my age as too why it's worthwhile too "sink" (as they put it) money into an old car. The negative just seems too outway the positive. And yes, everytime I pull up too a classic at a stop light, it is a grey haired guy or gal driving it, but their cooler than alot of the ricers I know.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:49 AM
Poor Student

Last photo:

Hotrodding isn't dying, it's just getting older. When I graduated from high school, there were only 6 hot rods in my class. However, out of those six rods, all of the guy's dads except maybe one had either worked on the car or had rods of their own. My uncle, who's a former police officer, has noticed it too. When he started working in the mid 80s, every weekend there'd be at least 3 muscle cars or street rods running around town (pop. 2500). Not always the same ones, either. However, they slowly got wrecked, or sold, or put in garages and now on a weekend you're lucky to see anything with more than 300 horsepower on the street. And, if you do, it's somebody's dad or grandpa.

The prices for parts and cars are to a point where your average high school kid making 5.15 can't afford to be working on his car. Also, you're not going to find a vehicle that you can rod for the prices you used to. We all know somebody who sold that Chevelle or Camaro for $1000 and wished they'd kept it. Well, now people are keeping them and there's nothing left for us young punks to rod. Instead of the typical old beater having a 6cyl (but room for a V8) and rear wheel drive, now it's a 4banger and FWD. How can you expect to get horsepower out of a car like that?

Edit: You can get HP out of a 4banger, but it's a lot different than the way it used to be. Computers instead of carburetors and all that.

Recap:
The auto industry isn't building cheap cars that can be rodded
The cars everyone used to rod are disappearing, either not for sale or wrecked
The whole industry costs too much for the average high schooler

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.