Hotroding and retirement - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2006, 01:39 PM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hotroding and retirement

I must not have enought to do because,I was think again and trying to deside when to down size to mabe one project. But also what my last project might be before calling it quits. So I thought that with the high cost of health now day that I should starting keeping my Eye out for that Power wheel chair to Hot Rod ! Now I would need two one for around the house and one for outside. But how would one get around town on a battery? so more thinking and it would have to be powered with a gas engine. so some more thing and I think there is a market for us retired hotroder you don't need a lic# or insurance no smog stuff heck there are know rules this could be fun.

Craig

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2006, 02:14 PM
Chief Procrastinator

Last photo:

I see a 60mph golf cart in your future!

golf clubs, cooler, and Weeeeeeeeeeeee!
Old 04-27-2006, 02:21 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

Thumbs up

You'll need more than two!!

~let see ...
~.inside .
~outside
~one to ge.t from the inside to the outside.
~a1/4 mile one.
~a cruising one.
~a economy one {for when electric gets too expensive]possible solar powered.
~a 4X4 one.
~a tow rig one .
then
we can dupe all that with gas powered ones or hydrogen or whatever the fuel flavor will be in the future. . .

~A bar stool one.

~a super endurance one to escape the wife/relatives.

I can see it now "Slowrides Senior Scooters"

The only wheel chair with a roll bar!

R

~a gasser one

~a rat rod one.

~a trailer queen one.

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 04-27-2006, 02:28 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

DO they come with seat belts and a cup holder that all I need well mabe a wet bar.

Craig
Old 04-27-2006, 02:29 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Hotroding and retirement

Why not convert one of those racing lawn mowers into a wheel chair or convert one of those high powered racing karts.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:50 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Home brew, I had consider that but with the lack of hand Eye reaction time I would probably be a splat some where. I was think of a more modern approach to the old standard.

Craig
Old 04-28-2006, 01:58 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Hotroding and retirement

There is always the Smart car. Totally safe - saw a video of it hitting a cement wall at 70 mph and it bounced off with very little damage. One door could still open and close while the other would open but was sprung a bit.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:31 AM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

70mph is a little fasts. I don't think old people are allowed to drive that fast When they retire, at least here in Arizona its seem the 25- 35mph rule applies. Everyone seems to honk and flip them the left hand out the window As they speed by. reaction time is key if you had a smart car but being old I'm not sure I could figure out how to drive it. So low tech would be my first pick.

Craig
Old 04-28-2006, 08:10 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Seriously, I kind of like the lawn mower conversion idea, but not so souped up. One of those that have the engine in the back and plenty clearance in front of the seat. Without the mower deck it could be lowered 3-4" for easier mounting, then a nice swivel seat mounted. Would have to be electric start, of course! Keep speed limited to about 20 mph. Those electric scooters only run about 10-15, I think. But this would be something to get around the yard or run short errands with, say within a couple miles of the house. That's why batteries might be fine as long as it's plugged in when at home. An auto charger that will switch down to a 1-2A "float" would be the ticket.

I used to know an old guy in Kentucky that bought a cabin in the mountains for retirement. He still got around good on level ground, but the hills were liller! He bought an ATV for running around outside. Dirt roads all the way to the local country store, about five miles, so he had no problems at all! If you need something more powerful than a scooter, that's more likely the way to go. If you're so old you can't climb on an ATV, you don't need something that will go over 10-15 mph!

I'm not prejudice against old people at all, I know I'll be one sooner than I'd like to! At 44 I've already realized that I'm not going to be able to start and finish a lot of projects I've been waiting for until I get out of the military (next year, 01 June if not late May!!). I still have plans for a rodded Rambler or a track T (just can't do both), a 26-30' inboard boat, and at least one more AMC project (keep thinking about how cool a stretched 58-59 Ambassador with continental spare would be... but might semi-restore a 70s model). Thats in addition to upkeep and improvements on my current driver 63 Classic wagon, possibly building a driver Jeep Cherokee, and remodeling/adding to my grandmother's old house (no matter how long I live there, it will still be "grandma's house" to me!!). At least I do have my shop about 65% complete now!
Old 04-28-2006, 10:19 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Hover Round chairs are the ticket here. I'm thinking a little faster so that I'll be able to out run the doctors. A nice big padded seat to keep the back side safe. A seat belt cup holder and a sun shade. of course I'm going to need bigger wheels and tires. To handle all terrain stuff.

Craig

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.