Hot Rod Forum banner

House of color paint

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  67Elcamino 
#1 ·
My next project a 48 dodge the guy wants painted with house of color BC-05 Lapis Blue. The test panel that he showed me said you have to use a black sealer and put down 5 coats of base coat. Seams like a lot of base to me unless it dosn't cover good.I haven't used any house of kolor paint for over 20 yrs. Any of you house of kolor guys that can give me any insite on this would be appreciated.

#2 ·
If the base coat covers why would you put down more than one coat? This doesn't make sense unless your jobber overbought some black base coat. :evil: I used one coat of black base, then purple over the base on mine.

#3 ·
I guess I didn't make it clear. The test panel that he had that looked like one you would see at a booth at a trade show said black sealer that I understand. But then it said bc-05 base 5 coats then clear 3 coats. Just seems like and awful lot of base coats unless you do 3 then wet sand then do 2 more. I've done that.

#4 ·
The issue with HOK is that it is translucent in order to get the effects desired..3 coats will "show different" than 5 coats if you get the drift.. Also the base sealer will affect the final appearance..usually the black base is black base coat material then the kandy lapis blue is hot over that then the clear. Not at all like the standard stuff we are used to where you shoot to coverage and be done with it..

Sam

#5 ·
That's what I've always done on true Pearl jobs was black base but this said black sealer. He's going to pick up all the paints except for the clear. That I told him I wanted to use spi universal.Just trying to get a feel of this before I get in to deep. The old house of kolor pearls you used either white or black base. Then a Pearl in clear, then either a candy color or just clear coat at that point.

#6 ·
What Sam said. When I shot mine, I call a black base coat/sealer is needed for the final shade of color. HOK paint, if anything like mine, the more coats, the darker and deeper the color will look. I shot one coat of black, 3 coats of base. I almost stopped after 2 coats but it just wasn't dark enough, had a pinkish tinge.

#7 ·
Im currently painting a car with HOK basecoat metallic Orion silver/Galaxie Grey. It recommends to use the Ko-Seal white sealer. Do you have to use HOK's Ko-Seal? The stuff seems kindy pricy. I believe its just a Urethane primer sealer?

Mine recommends 3 coats of base. I will also be using SPI Universal clear

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.