House of Kolor paint - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2003, 07:40 AM
70Chevelle/91Eclipse

Last journal entry: My 81 Silverado(SourApple)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Question House of Kolor paint

Has anybody ever bought paint from House of Kolor??? I went online and priced some of their stuff and its not too expensive. Ive read in tons of magazines about their custom mixtures and all i hear is good things, like them winning shows and stuff like that. My 70 chevelle's gettin a custom paint job, so i have to be real careful when im buildin it. I was thinkin about goin with some of their base coat as the final color, and addin some crushed pearl, or maybe even some flake, then puttin on a pretty thick coat of clear coat. Would anybody know how, if at all, hard it is to work with the crushed pearl or flake???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2003, 08:32 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

There paint is not hard to use at all.

Troy
Old 10-09-2003, 08:38 AM
Last photo:

First quality paint, just like PPG or DuPont. No harder to use than any other, but just like all paint, the application and color sanding either makes it an average paint job, or an exceptional paint job.

Vince
Old 10-09-2003, 09:41 PM

IMHO HOK paint has far better colored pearls (if your not trying to colormatch) than anything Doupont, or PPG put out. I dont know what it is about their colors, but ALL of their colors just look terrific. I've sprayed their Kandies, their Kandy Base-coats, their Shimrin Pearls and their Basecoat line, and they cover nicely, flow out well, and have just as good of adhesive properties as any other paints. Their old UMC1000 clear is a little runny, but it's VOC is high and it's clarity is the BEST I've seen. Very nice, stuff, just read the bottle 4 times before spraying and you'll be fine.

The 'hopper
Old 10-10-2003, 04:35 PM
Last photo:

I agree with Grashopr, the guy at our local PPG store told me that they cannot match some of HOK colors, especially the pearls.

Vince
Old 10-10-2003, 07:07 PM

hok

i use HOK everyday. in my bike paint shop. webpage listed in my profile will show you alot of samples. i uses ppg or hok on everything. just read the tech sheets for each of the products or get tech book. be aware when talking candy colors some of them take 6 coats to get the color that adds to time & material cost. pearls & flakes can be added to base or clear. must put 2-3 coats straight clear on top. i have found it is best to rub out the day after clear, as it gets harder & quicker than other paints. hit it right away & you wont chase scratches as much. as far as spraying most of my jobs don't need to be rubbed out, the clear is that good, & it flows so nice.watch your wet spot jwart
Old 10-10-2003, 07:12 PM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:

Man, I was going to ask if HOK paint was worth the money, I need to paint my stang, Its banged up pretty bad, not to mention my cowl hood recently decided to come loose and banged up the cowl, and the top of the car, I through a quick paint job on the stock hood and stuck it on there for now, So is house of kolor all that good? Im looking into a bright tangerine color or nitrous blue, Im not sure yet, but could they make custom colors?
Old 10-14-2003, 11:33 AM
70Chevelle/91Eclipse

Last journal entry: My 81 Silverado(SourApple)
Last photo:

im goin for a tangerine too. look at their neon honey kandy base coat, that looks really nice.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:18 PM

if you want to see HOK check out their color book it $35 so look at dealers. ea candy color is shown with 12 optional base coats to acheive totally different colors. you want custom blue you say. House Of Kolor is owned by Valspar for about 5 yrs. so if looking for dealer another option to look for. hok web search got me to dealer search for our local area.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:06 PM

Last photo:

What do I have to do to spray the HOK Kameleon Blue to Red with a Silver Mini Flake.

If someone can email to me or post the actual painting application method (from bare metal to clear coat finish) for me that would be great. (what gets sprayed where & how many coats of what)

I have a F-150 sitting at bare metal right now & I want to have the Kameleon custom paint applied.

I have a good paint man working with me that has all the tools to do the job but he has never sprayed custom paint before. He said he will spray it on if I purchased everything for it.

Sorry if this seems like a pain in the but post, but I really want my truck to look goood!
Hopefully someone will feel enuf sorrow & pitty for me & will send me their knowledge of what to do!
Old 11-25-2003, 10:08 PM

house of color paint

go to any house of color store,(valspar) , get tape of Joe Kosmoski painting secrets, or pick up a tect manual. Doc.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:14 PM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

The HOK spec sheets will tell you every thing you need, and how to do it. That would be a lot easyer for you to understand and you would have it right in your hands.

You should have started a new thread in the body and paint forem.

Troy
Old 11-25-2003, 10:25 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
What do I have to do to spray the HOK Kameleon Blue to Red with a Silver Mini Flake
Do they really have this color combo ?? I think my 65 Chero would be awsume this color!

Here's the Tech sheet for this paint.
http://www.hokpaint.com/man/KF23.html
They also have some color charts on there web sight but I don't see any of the Kameleon kolors listed.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Ranchero_65
Do they really have this color combo ?? I think my 65 Chero would be awsume this color!

Here's the Tech sheet for this paint.
http://www.hokpaint.com/man/KF23.html
They also have some color charts on there web sight but I don't see any of the Kameleon kolors listed.

Yes & no!

they have the Kameleon color that fades blue to red & they also say that you can mix any dry element into the paint, that is where the silver flake comes in.

I don't thin you buy the paint straight from HOK. I was looking at colors & pricing at autobodysupply.net

Quote:
Originally posted by troy-curt
You should have started a new thread in the body and paint forum.
I am deeply sorry. I found this paticular thread in a google search engine trying to find tech sheets for this paticular subject. I click on the link that brought me here & was to eager to post my question before navigating the site.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:23 PM

HOK is very good paint,but beware of the kandie colrs they are very prone to fading.I painted my 88 chevy truck kandie tangerine an the paint faded pretty bad within five years.Just my 2 cents

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.