Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - House of Kolor Paint
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2007, 12:27 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

HOK paint

I haven't painted for over 20 years now & getting ready to do another project. I've vacillated some over PPG, Autocolor & HOK. My local paint store carries all 3 right now, so supply is not an issue.

Right now, I'm leaning towards HOK - this may change down the road as I investigate prices & associated factors. Why am I leaning towards HOK ? Well, look @ the product support. For 50 bucks you can buy their digital paint booth & paint your car on your computer. When done, it prints out the paint codes. You can 2 tone, stripe, flame etc w/this program. I like this !! They are supporting the hobbyist in my opinion.

They have an excellent tech book - I have hard copies they have given out free to anyone walking into their booth @ the tradeshows. For me, & again I am not a pro, but I like the easy to follow instructions on paints that I am not all too familiar with. PPG guys have individual spec sheets that do not seem to be user friendly for the hobbyist - maybe meant more for the pros.

PPG has 3 blacks right now if memory serves me correctly - all for OEM usage. I just want the "blackest" black I can get, & the HOK paint seems to deliver this in my initial observations.

To me, HOK is in the business of supporting the hobbyist/custom painter, & do not rely on Detroit to dictate policy to them. I would prefer to buy from those who support the industry, which appears what HOK is doing.

Mike.