Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - House Speaker > Car Speaker
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 06:50 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

home speakers are rated at 8ohm..
almost all car audio is 4ohm.. some of the high end stuff is 2ohm and some 1 ohm..

the 8 ohm home speakers will over work your amp.. why because if you think you need big speakers ,you're gonna play it loud.. and 8 ohm is half as loud (generally,) than 4 ohm... at same input power..

so lets start over with rule #1.. you don't need huge speakers...

you need quality speakers and a "SINGLE" subwoofer..
also home speakers are not MADE to handle the outside world like car speakers are..
they are not made to deal with winter cold and summer baking..

rethink this..
yes the home speakers if big enough will boom but they'll die a fast death..
you'll be better served with 5.25" or 6.5" seperates and ONE 10 sub in a sealed box if you like tight bass, 12" in a sealed box if you like it so loud everyone knows you have it.. exspect your car to be stolen soon after, 12" in a ported box.. for that muddy boom boom for showing off.. and car stolen soon after,, or 12" in a band pass box... for the stupid I can't hear anything but boom ... duals just double the boom and are for those that have no clue.. as bass in just about every recording is mono..
and in a car.. two are overkill..

now if you want clear/crisp sound with all the bass you'll ever need and go as low as any MUSIC recording.. one 12" in any sealed box or one 10" in a seal box if you knew what you where doing..
and good 5.25/6.5" speakers and a quality amp(S) ..
a single 10 will go lower be clearer and cleaner and get loud enough in the cabin without the quite silly boom boom boom in the trunk.. as those systems the low end sounds better outside the car than in it.. a more for the lame.. look at me crowd than the music fanitic..
but it's your car... if you do the home speakers plan on them rip'n the cone from the surround within a year or less

FYI most high end home speakers rarely have drivers bigger than 6.5" and 8" is tops.. as balanced sound is more than the driver size... and might have a single 10" sub or a 12"
my boston acustic referance speakers(largest towers they made ) aredual 6.5" mid bass drivers that will go down to 20 hrz and with a single 12" sub I have to turn the bass(sub) channel as far down on the gain as I can.. on the surround sound and it still rocks the whole house at maybe 1/20th the rated power

Last edited by gearheadslife; 05-05-2013 at 06:59 AM.