How-to - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2002, 09:15 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post How-to

Hey there fellow rodders,
Can I shoot DP-90 in my garage or should I leave this to the professionals? Would an HVLP gun or system work? Its the overspray and fumes that I worry about. Are paint shops receptive to just shooting a prime coat? I like the nostalgic suede look and probably will never paint either of my trucks with a gloss finish.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tristen

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2002, 11:42 AM
Returning American Maddman

Last photo:

Yes, you can try this at home. It is not the best way, but it is possible. Hose the floor, do it early in t5he morning before the flying critters are awake. Know that overspray will get to everything around, so mask, cover, tarp, move anything that should not get primed. Use any gun set up you are comfortable with. I'm still getting used to the gravity feed gun I have. I have an old Sharps I use just for primer. The only other thing to scope out is if your neighbors are environmentalists.To dry it good, scream down 495 from Andover to Marlboro and back, then hose it down with Mumford river water
Old 07-02-2002, 03:04 PM
SprayTech

T-man, DP-90 doesnt take any special gun to spray it, HVLP is the way to go but you can get by with the siphon feed guns.
The only bad thing is DP will not stop water penetration to the steel underneath , as DP doesnt have UV protection.It is a very good product,but I havent used it in 4 years since it went lead free. If you want to keep the satin look I would put a couple coats of clear with flatening agent in it over the DP-90 for a little better potection of the elements.
SprayTech

[ July 02, 2002: Message edited by: SprayTech ]</p>
Old 07-02-2002, 06:11 PM

SprayTech is right, DP90 is now DPLF90, (lead free). You can put it on bare metal, applying several coats, and wet sand it with 1000 or smoother, and come up with a nice, dull but shiney paint job. I also agree, if you intend to keep it this way, shoot a couple coats of clear with flattening agent in it so it will seal the primer. You could also use K-36(or K200 if you can still find any) tinted with black DBC or base, which would come out as a dark grey color. This will also give you a medium gloss but dull finish, depends on how much sanding you do to if after the paint is laid down on it.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.