Hot Rod Forum banner

how about a 1970 chevy pu.

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  MT71c-10 
#1 ·
ran accross one for sale. Just a straight old truck, with a straight six and three on a tree. Always liked the old column shift, no computers and should have good parts avalibility and possibiliy of upgrades to a Small block and auto. Any dangers to think about?

#3 · (Edited)
owned a million of the 67-72 my first was a 68 c-10 longfleet with 307 2bbl and three on the tree manual SM326 full synch trans.

you can get anything for them and they are extremely popular and have bene for well ever and value has skyrocketed

if you can get it for cheap and its not rotted out junk then get it

but be good to it

ivr parted driven and junked many over the years and now i just want ot find one that i can play with and drive

but havs not been able to find one here in a couple years now

my last '67-72 gm truck was a '67 C-60 short wheel base 2 ton with small journal steel crank 2bbl 327 and CH465 trans a couple years ago

i know of two left here in town, a 67 dually 1 ton C-30 with a 250 or 292 in it i can tell by the sound of it going by out here every once in a while, its blue and real clean solid nice

and theres a beater dark green all stock original 69-72(cant see the grille and bumper so i dont know what year exactly unless i could see if the rear view mirror is glued ot the windshield or not because only in 72 they were glued and not screwed to the ceiling metal) it sits parked pretyt much 365 a year except the old guy uses it to haul yard waste about 3 times each summer.

a couple 68 c-10 longfleets i had:

the 67 C-60:

i have pics of all kinds ive had over the years including a '72 K-5 blazer 4x4(350 and 465 and 205 and 3.07 axles), '68 panel delivery c-10(250 and 3 on the tree) a '70 short wheelbase c-10 cab and chassis(model code CS10903 no bed from factory and very low production numbers), a '72 C-30 factory 157" dually wheelbase(longest factory wheelbase offered) lengthened 24" to 181" wheelbase,
and more.

if you want to convert it to auto and its not the SM318 trans(probably is though if its the 260 L-6 engine) then a th350 with 6" tailshaft length is the one to pop right in(also th200c and 2004r)

if its got the 292 L-6 engine then it should be the SM326 and will have the 11" clutch and not the 250 SM318 combo 10" clutch unless it was ordered with HD clutch(check RPO sticker in the glovebox on the door, iot will lkist the engine, and sometimes the trans also, if it was specially ordered)

the SM318 is not fully synch gears and is 3" shorter than even the 6" tail th350 were. so that will be more difficult because you will need to go driveshaft hunting at the yards for a car or something 27 spline driveshaft that is the right length. or cut yours down 3" which is not hard to do yourself if you have an old arc welder
the sbc engines used shorter height engine frame mount stands/trees than the 6 cyl engines, also difernet mounts.

the 292 frame mounting locations were offset 3" from one side to the other, so when swapping in a v-8 you just move one forward and leave the other one alone because it will already be in the forward set of frame holes that were for the v-8 mount brackets

you will need an auto trans crossmember from any 5-30 series 2wd with any auto trans, from '64-72 years. i have one laying in the attic if you want to see what one looks like.

the column you cna rig up to use for auto trans and you can use 73-up auto trans linkage rod and pivot bracket parts you just weld the pivot bracket to the top side of the frame ail straight across from the shift shaft on the auto trans, and adjust the rod ewith the slider nut on the piece that slides on the rod and moves the pivot down by the tranny.

and wire up one shift lever on the end of the column, and use the other one for the rod

works fine

jump the two neutral safety switch wires on the 3 speed olummn together with a short length of 16 guage wire and crimp spade terminals

until you find an auto column from any '67-72 5-30 series truck.

real easy

good luck

#4 ·
The problem areas are few. The stock trailing arms tend to rust ( because of the way they are welded together ) so check them out. Cab supports ( where the rocker panels are connected to the frame mount ) are also prone to rust. Check the rockers under the weatherstripping for rust, another spot of interest of the rust. And as always, look under the battery tray, always a little rust there.

The only parts you can't buy repop, that I know of, is a cab, and the wiper arm assy., under the cowl. NOS parts are available but starting to get spendy.

These trucks are fun to drive and fun to own. Check out
67-72chevytrucks.com. Way to many ideas, and these guys know these trucks. Have fun!

AAAHHH!! Just reread your post. You havn't bought it yet. Post some pictures and we can help with areas to look at.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.