How to achieve the best ground? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 09:39 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How to achieve the best ground?

Am building my 72 Chevy from the ground up and as I live in South Texas close to the coast rust is a giant issue. Therefore EVERYTHING on the truck is getting the best coatings possible. My question is how do you keep grounds on this without opening the truck to opportunitistic rust? Is tapping my holes after epoxy primer and paint and putting dielectric grease into them going to be the best method? Any other suggestions?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Campo
Am building my 72 Chevy from the ground up and as I live in South Texas close to the coast rust is a giant issue. Therefore EVERYTHING on the truck is getting the best coatings possible. My question is how do you keep grounds on this without opening the truck to opportunitistic rust? Is tapping my holes after epoxy primer and paint and putting dielectric grease into them going to be the best method? Any other suggestions?
These are two good ideas. The other item to assure good metal to metal contact is star washers. They bite right into the metal.

Chet

Last edited by T-bucket23; 02-14-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:50 AM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

Before priming the metal, grind an area where the ground connection will be.
Next, solder a piece of copper sheet about 1" x 1" square to that area.
Mask the copper before paint.
Drill a hole through the copper and body/frame to make a tight connection when bolting on the ground lug.
Ground lugs should be tinned copper.
Paint or seal the connection area.

vicrod
Old 02-14-2012, 02:36 PM

Last photo:

Excuse my ignorance but what is tinned copper? Is that when you solder and you coat the item with solder first? I like all the ideas set forth here. Especially if I use the star washers in conjuntion with the copper idea.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:23 PM
life is a ride

Last photo:

Tinned is tin plating. Very common on electrical terminals and connectors.

vicrod
Old 02-14-2012, 06:36 PM

Last photo:

I'd grind and prep the area, install your ground wire using star washers the seal the entire area, bolt washer etc with some undercoating spray or I like line-x bed liner..... that'll seal the entire area from corrosion and if needed, allow you to remove it later….. that’s how I did when I was stationed in Florida.

Copper will corrode in the salt spray and you will get some exposed copper when the star washers bite in when tightening the bolt. You could apply the sealant over the star washer/tinned copper etc…. but a lot of trouble when the 1st method works very well.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:01 PM

Last photo:

Be sure you are grounded,
1. Body to Frame
2. Body to Engine
3. Body to Battery
4. Engine to Frame
5. Engine to Battery
6. Frame to Battery

I would grind any paint away and use star, or cutter washers on every connection, along with the dielectric grease to seal it up. The larger gauge wire, less likely to have issues with accessories later.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:58 PM

Last photo:

I have the same trouble hear . I use die electric grease on everything . I solder the connections ,, then grease them and heat shrink pre installed tubing squeezing out the excess grease . I do the smae thing on my boat trailer lights except i use black rtv to hepl seal the solder joint up . Im 4 miles from the bay .
Old 02-16-2012, 05:17 PM
life is a ride

Last photo:

Star washers are a band-aid method for a good connection. Star washers may dig into the metal but will cause a decrease in the contact surface area required for good current flow.
Copper may oxidize when exposed to air but it remains conductive unlike rusty steel.
Contact compounds and conductive greases help to seal the connection.

vicrod
Old 02-16-2012, 07:27 PM

Last photo:

Beg to differ with you, star washers make a very good ground connection, after they dig in, the inner portion of the washer comes in full contact with the base metal and makes a solid connection, probably why auto makers use them. rusted steel, like oxidized copper (copper sulfide) will not conduct electrical current worth a flip.

Both if protected from the elements will last a very long time with little maintenance, I believe grease will not last in hot areas (engine compartments) very long without reapplication etc.....

Using the copper takes a lot of time to prepare properly and if you have never tinned copper before..... good luck. Drilling a hole, adding a star washer, encapsulating the area with a good quality sealant is, IMO, the best method
Old 02-17-2012, 06:13 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD Guy
Beg to differ with you, star washers make a very good ground connection, after they dig in, the inner portion of the washer comes in full contact with the base metal and makes a solid connection, probably why auto makers use them. rusted steel, like oxidized copper (copper sulfide) will not conduct electrical current worth a flip.

Both if protected from the elements will last a very long time with little maintenance, I believe grease will not last in hot areas (engine compartments) very long without reapplication etc.....

Using the copper takes a lot of time to prepare properly and if you have never tinned copper before..... good luck. Drilling a hole, adding a star washer, encapsulating the area with a good quality sealant is, IMO, the best method
X2 star washers are the key, always have been

Chet
Old 02-17-2012, 05:57 PM

Last photo:

Get one of these piloted bonding brushes from yardstore.com. they do a great job of removing paint, rust, or anything else that can keep you from getting a good ground. It does a lot nicer looking job than sandpaper or scraping with a knife. Star washers are used by the automotive industry, because they attach grounds directly to painted surfaces and star washers cut through the paint. The aviation and marine industries require grounding surfaces to be properly prepped and star washers are not used, because they damage the metal around the hole and wil cause cracks. There are many good sealers to apply over the connection. LPS3 does a great job and will last for years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1686%20%28Small%29.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	63042  
Old 02-21-2012, 06:26 AM
gearheadslife

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:

I just plug weld the grounding straps end ring then paint over the area..
no hole to allow rust to start, there is a reason they stoped drilling holes for trim.. rust..
Old 02-21-2012, 06:36 AM

grounding issues

Ok, you guys all have good ideas. But what do you do like in my case? Ihave a 1987 Chevy Camaro Iroc Z-28 where you have to watch were you put the grounds because it is a unibody. Now what do you do?
Old 02-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

I like to use battery terminal converters... the kind that convert side post to top post.

Its just a lead nub with a bolt cast into it. What I do is make the grounds as one of the last things. Paint and coat what you want, then I drill and tap the frame for those bolts (I forget 5/16"?). Now the only exposed metal you have is in the threads.

You can put a little loctite on the threads if you wish - both to seal out water and to prevent the lug from backing out. It will probably reduce the surface area for current flow but not by much.

Then you can use one of those big flat braided straps to ground something. I have done that to ground diesel engine blocks to frames and never had an issue, even with the massive cranking amps they need.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.