how to add a firewall brake booster to a '50 chevy - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2003, 04:50 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Thumbs up how to add a firewall brake booster to a '50 chevy

I have a 1950 chevy coupe that somebody started to convert the front brakes to disc. The disc's and calipers are installed, but the power booster isn't there. The car is a 3 spd manual trans. From what I have seen, new power boosters that would mount in the original location won't work due to the manual trans. How do I solve this problem for as little money as possible?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2003, 05:55 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I am adding power brakes w/ firewall booster on my '53 Chevy pick up. Am also adding a Chevy tilt column so that makes it a little different from your appilication but I think you can use my method anyway. I got the booster and the inside dash/firewall/brake pedal bracket from under the dash of a Caddy at Pick-A-Part. I got the Caddy but any full size GM car(mid-70s thru mid-80s)have brackets will work. This installation will require disassembling the car dash to install easily but if you are installing power brakes, you are doing a lot of work anyway. I left the existing truck support bracket there and modified the dash side of the new bracket to bolt in place using the stock pickup steering column bolts. Having these two brackets there give a very strong structure with triangle bracing in two planes. Takes a little cutting and welding but it's not brain surgery. You might need to lengthen or shorten the bracket to fit in the car but that is easy too. The firewall side of the new bracket wants to be flat with the firewall, then drill the holes in the firewall to match the holes in the bracket. Cut a hole in the firewall with a hole saw to clear the brake booster pushrod rubber boot and the bracket will bolt in place and give a very rigid mount. Added benefit is that you have the brake pedal and stop light switch already mounted. The pedal may be a little too high off the floor (it is in my truck)but you car might be ok. If the pedal is too high you can cut the arm and weld in an inch or so of the right size of cold rolled steel bar, heat and bend the pedal arm to put the pedal the proper distance from the accelerator pedal and you will have a CHEAP, factory looking power brake installation.

[ January 03, 2003: Message edited by: willys36@aol.com ]</p>
Old 01-03-2003, 12:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I'll posts some pictures of my installation soon to make it more clear what I did.
Old 01-04-2003, 06:30 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I did similiar to willys with my 57 truck. I used a mid seventies chevy truck setup. I had to cut down and reangle the under dash bracket and pedal assembly. After that, just cut a hole in the firewall and bolt in the booster. I did use the 78' pedal assembly also.

Chris
Old 01-04-2003, 11:26 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

You could also do a completely under floor setup which would allow you to clear your shifter mechanism. Buy an 8" chevy vega booster and mate it to a GM master cylinder. You can mount it as far back as is necessary to clear the clutter of the shifter with a long rod. It will fit inside the frame rails and will have plenty of road clearance. You can fabricate the cradle you need if you are reasonable proficient with a mig welder or you can buy the cradle from a vendor, there are lots of them. This leaves a nice clean fire wall if you want the stock look.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.