Hot Rod Forum banner

How to adjust Camber on my 1980 Firebird

7K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  MARTINSR 
#1 ·
I redid the whole front suspension on my 80 Firebird and when I put in the lowering springs I think it messed the camber up. It really positive right now. I'm running skinny 15x4 tires in the front and it's really noticeable. You can see the tops are tilted out and the bottoms are pointing in. I had to take it on the highway and got some uneven wear on the outside of the tires now.

So I'm wondering if there's a way to get some negative camber on it. I know eventually I'll need to have it professionally done to get it perfect. I just want it to be better incase I have to take it out again at some point before I get the full alignment. I've never messed with camber before so I don't really know where to begin. I heard I might need shims but I don't know.

#5 ·
An 81 bird has upper control arms, not struts.
Y ou will need an Alignment to get the CASTER correct FIRST. Then the CAMBER can be set , then the toe in. No sense fooling with it yourself.
Be sure to INSIST that the CASTER is set up before the CAMBER or the alignment guy will shortcut it and just set your camber, which can leave you with a car that is a fight to drive.

#7 ·
I'm sorry guys, yep it has the same basic subframe from 70 up until 82, I forgot. So just a simple alignment shimming in the upper control arm should do it.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.