Hot Rod Forum banner

How to adjust lubricator?

8K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  mikeweb 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I purchased an SMC NAL4000 lubricator but it didnt come with any instructions on how to set it up, primarily how many turns one should turn the dial in order to get the correct oil drop rate.

My primary tools are impact and cutoff wheel.. basically just a weekend mechanic.

Could someone provide some insight? It looks like the following image except it has a dial beside the fill plug that one can turn by hand

I go all this off ebay for $22

See less See more
#4 ·
The mfg. of the lubricator has no idea how you will use it. It depends on the air tool you are using and the requirements of the tool. You could be using air cylinders to very large impact wrenches.

By the way once you use a air hose or line with a lubricator everything becomes coated with a oil film. You can't spray paint with it or inflate tires. Use one length of hose just for air tools and the lubricator.

#5 ·
Start somewhere in the mid range of the adjustment. The tools you are using should show minor signs of lubricating oil. It shouldn't spray or drip out the exhaust but you should be able to feel an oily residue at the exhaust. Adjust the the drip rate until you get that slightly oily feeling at the exhaust.

As mentioned, that may be different for different tools. All that being said, you have made a wise choice to use a lubricator that will keep your tools consistently oiled. You will be rewarded with long life on your air tools.

As the previous poster mentioned, DO NOT use any air hoses or lines that have had a lubricator on them for spray painting. Oil (and silicone of any kind) will give you so many fits during spray painting that it will drive you crazy! Bypass the lubricator and only use a clean air line for spray painting, however, keep the drier/filter because water is equally bad for spray painting.

#6 ·
Rule of thumb for air tools requiring lubrication is one drop per minute.

Personally I do not like those lubricators as they contaminate your air lines and require periodic maintenance. A couple of drops every time you use the tool works fine 99% of the time, inline lubricators are more for continous use like on an assembly line.

My advice, keep the drier/filter and regulator and don't use the lubricator. Most people end up taking them off anyway.

#7 · (Edited)
This is how I have it currently set up, I put a quick connect between the filter/regulator and lubricator incase I need oil free air (I have a 2nd hose). I never paint, however you never know what the future may hold.

I guess the best way to set this up is to run the given tool (impact for example) for 1min and count the amount of oil bubbles that appear in the sight glass and adjust from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.