How annoying to try to find the snap on guy when he doesn't come around - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2011, 11:29 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Are you talking about the set of three where one is about 18" long and the other two are like a normal screwdrive in length? That IS the best all around clip tools EVER. I have my old SnapOn ones at home and when I have to use them I feel like I am using a friggin ax or something, they are junk compared to the new ones.

I just looked at your link, that is the one. Hands down, nothing has ever came close to it. That set is the best.

Brian
when clips look like huge triangles maybe those other brands will be handy.

I don't want to mess with a clip for longer than a 10 seconds, especially for filthy fender liners. That's why for that tool I don't mind paying more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2011, 07:25 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
I( buy my utility knives at the dollar store.......When the blade gets dull I toss them, usually I loose it before the blade gets dull.
I use a utility knife every day, and the blade is more important than what holds it. I don't like the blade wobbling around when I use it, so I like to use a metal holder that does not retract. I put the best blades in it that I can find, which are Irwin Bi-Metal Blue Utility Blades. They are tougher than anything else I have ever used. They just won't break, which can really injure you bad if it happens. I buy them 100 at a time in this dispenser.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1050.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	55204  

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:47 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
I use a utility knife every day, and the blade is more important than what holds it. I don't like the blade wobbling around when I use it, so I like to use a metal holder that does not retract. I put the best blades in it that I can find, which are Irwin Bi-Metal Blue Utility Blades. They are tougher than anything else I have ever used. They just won't break, which can really injure you bad if it happens. I buy them 100 at a time in this dispenser.
I agree fully with you about the blades. I just bought my first batch of the Irwin - sooooo much better then the usual Stanley Heavy Duty which seem to have turned to butter lately. One cut in dry wall and dull, two and junk.

The holder - since I carry mine in my hip pocket when it's needed, the blade has to retract. One huge cut on my hand with that leak of red sticky stuff convinced me of that (yeah, I could buy a belt knife holder, but then I would have to be able to find it when I needed it)

Dave W
Old 05-14-2011, 06:20 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69

Anyone else dislike snap on but there's that one snap on tool you must have?
I also like their 3/8" impact. I think it's the mg325. The thing is bad arse!
Ever notice if your not looking for him you see one at every intersection anytime you drive????
Heres my all time favorite snapon tool I've used it every day for twenty five yrs..no other compares ,but I'll bet the new ones suck...http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
Old 05-14-2011, 06:24 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Are you talking about the set of three where one is about 18" long and the other two are like a normal screwdrive in length? That IS the best all around clip tools EVER. I have my old SnapOn ones at home and when I have to use them I feel like I am using a friggin ax or something, they are junk compared to the new ones.

I just looked at your link, that is the one. Hands down, nothing has ever came close to it. That set is the best.

Brian
I'll agree with that ....
Old 05-14-2011, 09:05 AM

I have had Snap On impacts in the past,nothing but a pile of junk.I have nothing but IRs which have been trouble free.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicafd
I have had Snap On impacts in the past,nothing but a pile of junk.I have nothing but IRs which have been trouble free.
Same here. All snap on air tools only last a year at best.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:14 PM

Last journal entry: Odds and Ends
Last photo:

I rarely buy from Snap-On only because I rarely need anything, but I do have the cell-phone number of the guy that service my area and when I call, he tells me when he'll be in my park or where he is now/next if I want to go to him.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:35 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaw
Same here. All snap on air tools only last a year at best.
I have two of their electric impacts and they are great! The batteries, on the other hand... the temp sensors won't let them charge as the sensors short out at times requiring a "reset" involving a screwdriver shorting out the sensor effectively opening the short. A BluePoint air ratchet was a dog right out of the box - it still "works" if you want to call it that, but you won't grab it if in a hurry.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:38 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyc63
My speedo says I was travelling at 68 MPH. The ford f-250 diesel 4x4 travelled exactly 2 feet after impact,
I gotta know... which part of the truck moved the 2 feet? The front or the rear?
Old 09-01-2011, 06:13 PM

Last journal entry: Volkswagen V8 Squareback project.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69
isn't that against their guarantee? I thought they were guaranteed for life by no matter who it's bought from? I think that guy just didn't want to go thru the hassle.

I can tell you first hand how the Snap-On guarantee works. I was a dealer from 1979-1982. ALL tools that bare guaranteed are covered by ANY Snap-On dealer. If you can't get a dealer to take care of a broken tool problem, simply contact Snap-On corporate offices. As a matter of fact, I am getting ready to do just that. I have some tools that the chrome is peeling off of (I bought them when I was a dealer mechanic, prior to becoming a Snap-On dealer), broken screwdriver tips, etc. The way the program works, a dealer replaces the defective tool (s) and, if it was the way I did it, waits until he has enough of a stockpile of broken tools to turn in. Once he does that, he is issued credit (cost) of those tools that he can use to pay his own tool bill when he needs to restock his "wagon". As far as skipping some places because they don't buy from you. Yeah, I was guilty of that at times too, but just then, something turned around. It was my last year in business and times were a little tough. I was contemplating getting out of the business, as I was only working 3-1/2 days per week. One of my accounts was Fabick Caterpiller in St. Louis. I made my usual stop and skipped seeing everyone. I got a call from the parts manager and he said he needed a few tools. I went back to see him and took a $42,000.00 order. that definitely made my day. I profitted over $12,000 on that one sale.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:57 PM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

It seems to be a story you hear more and more. The reason is that they screw over those guys so bad when they are trying to get started. I personally know 3 guys who snap-on broke. One instance snap-on corp (E.C.) had extended credit to a shop on a bunch of high dollar shop equipment, then the guy gets busted for growing pot and goes to jail. Now the equipment goes back to the dealer and he is financially responsible for it. So he can't get any extension on truck inventory until he has ponied up for the repossessed stuff that snap-on had oked.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I quit buying from them many years ago.... Over priced and never see the man come around.. There's tool's out there that is just as good...
Old 09-01-2011, 07:15 PM

Last journal entry: Volkswagen V8 Squareback project.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowbilly3
It seems to be a story you hear more and more. The reason is that they screw over those guys so bad when they are trying to get started. I personally know 3 guys who snap-on broke. One instance snap-on corp (E.C.) had extended credit to a shop on a bunch of high dollar shop equipment, then the guy gets busted for growing pot and goes to jail. Now the equipment goes back to the dealer and he is financially responsible for it. So he can't get any extension on truck inventory until he has ponied up for the repossessed stuff that snap-on had oked.

Snap-On tried to bust me, but I had them by the "short hairs". As long as you were a top producer, they really didn't mess with you, middle of the road producers would have a field manager ride with them and try to get them pumped up, the lower producers, Snap-On would do everything in their power to get them to quit, when in fact, those are the guys they should have been trying to help. I was want was called a full equity dealer, which meant, I didn't owe Snap-On a dime and the only way I allowed a field, assistant or branch manager on my truck was if I personally invited him. Consigned dealers had to allow them on at any time. I lucked out and paid my business off in 20 months, lock,stock and barrel. Snap-On had no idea how much inventory I had until I quit. When thjey inventoried my stock they had to write me a check for $93,000 That really gave my field manager a lump in his shorts. You see, he made his money from what each dealer under his wing ordered, not what he sold, what he ordered. He could care less what you sold, just order,order,order. Now, when a field manager has 7-8 dealers in his field group and he gets 3% commission on what a dealer orders, think about it, that's a lot of money. For example, the push in 1981 was each dealer to purchase $250,000 (at cost) of tools that year. Now multiply that by 7-8 dealers and then his cut is 3% Not a bad chunk of change. I could tell all kinds of stories about Snap-On
Old 09-02-2011, 07:57 AM

Last journal entry: Odds and Ends
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Square
One of my accounts was Fabick Caterpiller in St. Louis. I made my usual stop and skipped seeing everyone. I got a call from the parts manager and he said he needed a few tools. I went back to see him and took a $42,000.00 order. that definitely made my day. I profitted over $12,000 on that one sale.
I always like the tale of the farmer in bib overalls who was being ignored at the Cadillac/Lincoln dealership. Walked across the street to the Lincoln/Cadillac dealership where he was greeted in a friendly manner and promptly bought a fully loaded sedan for full sticker and paid cash.

It's an old chestnut told at too many sales meetings, but the moral of the story is that if you make your living in sales, you need to sell at every opportunity because your biggest sale might have been that one guy you just ignored.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.