How annoying to try to find the snap on guy when he doesn't come around - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 08:18 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How annoying to try to find the snap on guy when he doesn't come around

My boss is too cheap to ever buy snap on so they don't come around. Not in a hurry to order on line so I have to roach around the other shops at lunch to flag him down...pathetic! Looking for their clip tools. Gonna fix my wife's honda and some roacho stole my small 10" clip tool. Still have the big one but am adamant about getting the right clip tool before starting...geez, it's only like 4 fasteners but I insist. Just a rant and I hate thieves and dishonest people. No consideration for what it takes others to get what they stole. Sorry for the rant.

btw, this is the BEST clip tool you'll find, unless others have copied it.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....group_ID=13618

Anyone else dislike snap on but there's that one snap on tool you must have?
I also like their 3/8" impact. I think it's the mg325. The thing is bad arse!

Advertisement

Last edited by tech69; 05-09-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2011, 11:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The only problem with SnapOn is the price they gouge you for on really common items like this nearly identical tool for $5. That same trim tool from the SnapOn guy here in Canada would likely be over $30.

http://www.princessauto.com/workshop...r-trim-remover

My favorite gouge from them is this item;

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

Seriously? $35 for a $5 knife? What a rip off!
Old 05-09-2011, 11:53 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

I hear you but that trim tool is really better than anything else. As for a box cutter, I agree. I pay no more than $8 for that, but they do have a few good tools that are worth it. The funniest thing is seeing snap on tools on craigslist for months that don't sell.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:51 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I( buy my utility knives at the dollar store.......When the blade gets dull I toss them, usually I loose it before the blade gets dull.

Budget RVs
Old 05-10-2011, 06:48 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I generally buy a Stanley box cutter and always on sale somewhere - and probably have 6-8 as I'm like Poncho. I lose them and of course always find them again in exactly the same place it was left (and that, my friends is a terminal condition called CRS).

My Snap-on tool box has many Snap-on tools. I really like the feel. I can't afford their prices now - especially since some are being made in the Far East and are no better then Craftsman now. The last one I bought new (1/2" long comb.) was about the same price as a full set of the Sears 5/16-15/16. I will still buy them at swap meets if the price is right, but as a hobby mech. now they are a luxury. I even have some -shudder- Harbor Freight.

Dave W
Old 05-10-2011, 08:05 AM

Last photo:

Haa Haa

I even have some -shudder- Harbor Freight.

HaaHaa, Me too. I love to see the prices on SnapOn items compared to what I paid for less expensive brands that do the job just as well and last just as long. Don't get me wrong, my tools are a mixture of many brands as bought through the years. Craftsman, S-K, Proto, Williams, Armstrong are some of the older tools. I originally bought a Craftsman mechanic set many years ago, not a metric tool in it. Alot of the tools I added were the metric, then more sizes and styles, then eventually anything I needed but didn't want to borrow. Flea market tool stores are a great place to find high quality used tools.
About the "Shudder" Harbor Freight tools, yep, I have a bunch of Pittsburg tools. Sometimes it just makes better sense money wise. Seems that pro mechanics have the life long dream of owning every tool in the SnapOn catalog. They may get ridiculed by other mechanics for having ANY tool in the box that isn't the coveted SnapOn. A good friend of mine is a pro mechanic with all high dollar tools. I recently gave him a drawer by drawer tour of my "Shudder" USGeneral tool chest. He was quite impressed with the variety of tools and the quality of the chest.
Here are examples of how ridiculous the price of SnapOn is on the basic utility tools forementioned. These are catalog prices and can be bought for less in your local store. Call me tight, yep I'm tight and I'll laugh all the way to the bank.
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece...set-66188.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece...set-93859.html
Old 05-10-2011, 08:31 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I just replaced the axles on my 5th wheel camper using my $9 HF set of impact sockets
Old 05-10-2011, 02:09 PM

Last journal entry: 1953 kenworth
Last photo:

Snap-On rep never comes around?

Buy a tool box and put it on 100 bucks a month repayment. He will be like a well oiled machine. (the problem of course...is constantly seeing top/middle AND bottom chests at Crappy Tire/Sears/etc for less than what you paid for your HD Road Chest)

I love Snap-On. I paid 2 grand for the HD Road Chest. My last one? Check this out. I fell asleep on the way home from work and rear-ended a semi parked on the shoulder. My speedo says I was travelling at 68 MPH. The ford f-250 diesel 4x4 travelled exactly 2 feet after impact, and my road chest came through the front of the box, through the cab, and into the dash...while I...almost went through the windshield. Much later...I got the box back, and it was almost useable....it was STILL square, top lid was gone and the drawers were hooped....but you could tell what it was...which is more than you can say for the pickup.

2 people can hardly lift my new one...BEFORE you put tools in it!
Old 05-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,187 Times in 1,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69
I hear you but that trim tool is really better than anything else.

Are you talking about the set of three where one is about 18" long and the other two are like a normal screwdrive in length? That IS the best all around clip tools EVER. I have my old SnapOn ones at home and when I have to use them I feel like I am using a friggin ax or something, they are junk compared to the new ones.

I just looked at your link, that is the one. Hands down, nothing has ever came close to it. That set is the best.

Brian
Old 05-10-2011, 03:19 PM

Last photo:

I had a SnapOn guy who used to come by the building I was in and visit his friend next door, never coming in my shop or anyone elses in the building, expecting us to go and hunt him down watching for when he would be there. I would talk in and ask him "You don't mine if I give you some money do you"?

I got on a kick and bought a bunch of new tools one month, new box and a bunch of other stuff. You should have seen that jerks face when I saw my Mac box. I had asked him about boxes and he new I wanted a SnapOn but he didn't come and ask for the sale, he was pissed that I bought a MAC. I just smiled and said "I thought you didn't want me to give you money, Bill comes in and wants me to so I did".

Brian
Old 05-10-2011, 06:50 PM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

I love my Mac and Snap-on tools. Most of them I have had for 20+ years. You can get by with less expensive stuff a lot of times.
Snap-on has a hard time keeping dealers in a lot of areas. They can;t make a living stopping at shops that don't buy much stuff. Plus corporate treats the dealers like crap so they burn out and go broke at a fairly high rate. Corporate approves credit for GC but sticks the dealer with the item(s) if they get repo-ed.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:18 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

I have some mac tools. They still give me half off for my old training and still don't bother to check. Their 1/4" ratchets are really good. Also got a 3/8" too. I keep them at home til a job comes along that's worth it. As for snap on, I'd say they are waaay over priced but they are good. I can think of a couple tools that are good... AND worth it in my opinion .the clip tool, their 3/8" impact(mg325), and according to Martin their pry bars. Oh, and their blue point 1/4" torx stubby sockets. They look soo cool too. Every time I pull them out someone always complements them. Other than that I stay away.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:18 PM

Plus Snap On is having warranty problems.There are dealers refusing to replace broken tools because they not purchased from the certain dealer.Snap On tends to overprice tools and had a dealer that came at the shop I co own,was kicked out 2 years ago for not coming around and I was treated like crap.Have a very reliable Matco dealer coming in on Tuesdays,I get treated very well.Had a Mac dealer,retired back in Febuary.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:01 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

isn't that against their guarantee? I thought they were guaranteed for life by no matter who it's bought from? I think that guy just didn't want to go thru the hassle.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69
isn't that against their guarantee? I thought they were guaranteed for life by no matter who it's bought from? I think that guy just didn't want to go thru the hassle.
That's what I'm thinking.

Brian

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.