Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   How to apply waterborne wax and grease remover? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/how-apply-waterborne-wax-grease-remover-181871.html)

panelwagon62 07-30-2010 05:56 AM

How to apply waterborne wax and grease remover?
 
Ok I just picked up a gallon of spi WB wax and grease remover. One question, do I spray it directly on to the panel then wipe off, or spray a rag with it, wipe down the panel then wipe off with another clean rag? If not what's the reasoning? Thank you

OneMoreTime 07-30-2010 06:18 AM

either way is fine..spray directly for intial cleanup and spray a bit on a clean cloth for tacking between coats..do yourself a favor and get a big box of the white lint free cleaning cloths from somewhere..only wipe in one direction and not in circles until no more dirt shows up on the cloth..

Sam

panelwagon62 07-30-2010 08:08 AM

Alright thanks for the tips. The wipes we use at our shop are by kimberly clark and they are called "wype-all" but I don't believe they are lint free.

302 Z28 07-30-2010 08:39 AM

Wype-All are OK, that is what I use. Be sure and wipe the surface dry and do not let it evaporate dry.

Vince

MARTINSR 07-30-2010 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
either way is fine..spray directly for intial cleanup and spray a bit on a clean cloth for tacking between coats..do yourself a favor and get a big box of the white lint free cleaning cloths from somewhere..only wipe in one direction and not in circles until no more dirt shows up on the cloth..

Sam

Sam, you don't mean wiping down between coats of color do you? I have to say, and experianced painter could pull that off (though they don't because it is unnecessary but only in a rare case) but a newbe wiping between coats of paint could really cause some harm. And most certainly not between coats of clear! Without a doubt you do not want to do that!

Just to clarify for Panelwagon

Brian

panelwagon62 07-30-2010 09:52 AM

Martin, thanks for the clarifcation!! But I have always used solvent bourne and this is the first time with water bourne so I wasn't sure if the same basic rules applied.

MARTINSR 07-30-2010 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panelwagon62
Martin, thanks for the clarifcation!! But I have always used solvent bourne and this is the first time with water bourne so I wasn't sure if the same basic rules applied.

More clarification. :D You CAN clean off a base coat with the waterborne wax and grease remover. If you were to know or suspect something got on it, the waterborne wax and grease is the stuff to get it off. But wiping down between base coats or clear coats is NOT usually done.

Brian

302 Z28 07-30-2010 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR
More clarification. :D You CAN clean off a base coat with the waterborne wax and grease remover. If you were to know or suspect something got on it, the waterborne wax and grease is the stuff to get it off. But wiping down between base coats or clear coats is NOT usually done.

Brian

Exactly, it's been so hot around here that by the time you make your way around a car with the first coat it's time for a second. If you pause to wipe it down between coats you will probably have to scuff before the next coat :D .

Vince

MARTINSR 07-30-2010 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 302 Z28
Exactly, it's been so hot around here that by the time you make your way around a car with the first coat it's time for a second. If you pause to wipe it down between coats you will probably have to scuff before the next coat :D .

Vince

There are a number of things that can happen and most likely would. Most likely simply leaving something there like lint or a smudge.

The base is so touchy that keeping the area clean and simply leaving it untouched throughout the application is best.

Brian

panelwagon62 07-30-2010 09:57 PM

Scuff between coats of base?? Why would you?

MARTINSR 07-30-2010 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panelwagon62
Scuff between coats of base?? Why would you?

Who said that? You DON'T EVER scuff unless you have a flaw to remove.

Brian

OneMoreTime 07-31-2010 12:34 AM

Being more clear...While in a perfect world we should not need to scuff or tack between coats of base and clear we do need to inspect between coats to see that no bugs or dust bunnies have up and bit us..and if so we need to fix that issue before proceeding with the paint job...then if one has been bitten then we do what we have to do..

Sam

panelwagon62 07-31-2010 05:17 AM

alright, i think i may have misunderstood what was said. Got it now.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.