How bad did I get Ripped? (carpet installation) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2004, 08:21 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

How bad did I get Ripped? (carpet installation)

Hi, got alot of help over in the exterior section when painting my truck, so I thought I might post a ? for yall. I have a 1976 IH Scout II that I recently had carpet installed in. I used a local upholestry shop that was reccomended by a local resto shop. When I went in to get an estimate, Of course I asked how much. I did not ask for a budget or cheap job, and was quoted $450 for the entire car. I explained I wanted the carpet run up the sides in the back of the vehicle, as well as the tailgate covered. I chose at his suggestion to use NO padding or juting underneath so there was nothing to hold water under the carpet.

Well I am FAR from pleased. After picking up the truck I started noticing problems.

1. There are glue discoloration all over the seams and even some spots in the middle of the carpet.

2. 90% of the carpet edges are NOT glued down, so they roll over a bit.

3. the carpet is about 1/2 inch short of the doors. With the Door sills on though it is covered.

4. The rear sill that goes in front of the rear seat will not fit anymore.

5. When I pulled the old carpet it went all the way up the fire wall, He ran the carpet just under the pedels, and left the Kickpanels bare as well. Also at the bottm rear of the door the are tiangles left bare. He also Did not cover the Tailgate as requested

6. He covered over me Access Panels on the inside? So I cannot get to my gas neck.

7. The Roll bar feet, Spare tire holder and Brights Switch (On Floor) were just covered over. He cut slits in the carpet and it looks messyThe carpet is lose around the area and the slits are just rough cut. I figured it was givin that theay would be removed and we attached ON TOP of the carpet?

8. He broke the corner of my transmission cover and tried to glue it back. I prolly would not of noticed had the carpet not been coming up in the area.

Am I expecting TOO much in some of these areas? Or does this sound like a far from professional job?

Thanks for any input on this.

Rob

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2004, 10:12 AM

Last photo:

State Auto Repair

http://www.caag.state.ca.us\consumer...nts\automotive

In California we use the automotive complains department. You can not sue anyone in the automotive repair industry until you go to this department. If they agree with you, the store has to refund the money or they sign a paper for the court and they force them to return the money. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FIX IT YOUR SELF. They can then claim that you caused it. As for a good shop, just post the question for a good shop in your area here. Lots of good ones available.

hr41pearl
Old 01-21-2004, 10:18 AM

Brother, sounds like you got took coming and going on that one. $450 for glued down carpet and no padding. You could have done a 1/2 @ssed job yourself for under $75.

I would definitely be taking that back for a full refund or a major redo.

JC Whitney has custom fit/molded carpet for just about anything made, usually about $130
Old 01-21-2004, 11:40 AM
Last photo:

Hate to break it to you, but if you do not have a contract that states what you were to receive, it is your word against his.

Vince
Old 01-21-2004, 02:28 PM
Are we having fun yet?

Last photo:

Thom is right. Take your vehicle to them. If is as bad as you say they will notice it also and will be able to get it repaired and /or your money back. If it happened to me someone had better call the cops because the ******* would hit the fan. It really pi$$es me off when you spend hard earned money and get ripped off.

Norm.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:00 PM

Last journal entry: 2 years later
Last photo:

I would take it back to him first, he can't fix a problem he doesn't know about.tell him you want it repaired or refunded, If he puts you off at all , tell him you will take the steps to get satisfaction.
make sure you're there when there is people around. but keep cool, he doesn't have to deal with an idiot. mike
Old 01-21-2004, 03:09 PM

Thanks guys

I have already voiced my dissatisfaction the same day I picked it up. I am taking it in tommorow, but do not think he will be willing to rework. He allready told me he did extra work to make it look nice. (in the back of the truck he bound the top edge). I wanted to laugh and let him know it would of never left the shop had there been cut, rough and unraveling carpet the lenght of my truck, and that I did not consider that extra just part of the job I asked for. Anyway I will get some photos posted of the job.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:24 PM

Last photo:

Paper

I had a very good shop take a job to do the frame on my 41 PU. They have been in Classic Trucks several times. Three years later I was tired of waiting. We talked but nothing happened. I HAD PHOTO'S from the beginning. He ended up paying me back 100% and no charge on the little work he did. RECORDS & PHOTO'S are COOL. For both of you. Mike is right. Keep your cool. Every state, I am told, has a department for the auto industry. USE THEM. People want to be good and good records help them to stay that way.

hr41pearl
Old 01-21-2004, 06:45 PM
First name...............Shawn

Last photo:

Being in the business my self, i don't understand how some people can consider themselves professionals. Please post the pictures, i want to see them.

First of all, someone said $450 is too much for a cut and sewn glued in carpet. That is WRONG. That is a normal price for the job, had it been done right. Decent nylon carpet for a truck that would cost $150-$200 alone, PLUS the labor. You could not buy good carpet for $75 to cover the floor in that truck.

1. Glue discoloration? You mean like the glue bled through the carpet, or its glue over-spray? Sounds like this guy is a bit heavy on the trigger of the glue gun. If its glue over-spray, as long as its not very much, it can be cleaned off with denatured alcohol or lacquer thinner. If he slipped and got some glue over-spray somewhere, he should have cleaned it up.

2. If the edges are bound with vinyl binding, the edges never will stick well. Most spray adhesives do not stick to the face of vinyl. But the vinyl binding should only be like 1" wide, which should not allow the carpet to roll up.

3. If the door sills cover the edge of the carpet, I don't see a problem there.

4. If there is only carpet (no padding), how is the carpet so thick that the rear sill wont fit?

5. Did you specify to have kick panels made and covered? To me, a "carpet" job wouldn't include kick panels. But 99.9% of the work i do is full interiors, i cant say Ive ever done a carpet only job so i might be wrong. And the carpet should go as far up the firewall as possible. Any bare spots on the floor that doesn't get covered by a trim panel, sill plate, or whatever is just ridiculous.

6. Did you specify to not cover that access panel? Sounds like it might be laziness again on his part.

7. Carpet can be trimmed around such things like these very neatly, it just takes a few more minutes. Again, it goes back to whether you requested these things to be unbolted or not. If i had to re-carpet a car or truck that had a roll cage in it, i would NOT unbolt the roll cage (insurance companies have strict rules about working with safety devices such as these, at least my insurance company does). But again, it could be trimmed neatly around the base of the roll bar.

8. Is your transmission cover fiberglass? If it was, he should have told you and re-glassed it, not glued it. A good upholsterer should be able to work with fiberglass. Or he should have mentioned it to you to see how you wanted it handled.

I don't think your asking for too much. A simple call to a GOOD business man would be all it takes to fix the problem. If he isn't an *********, you should be able to talk to him in a polite fashion about fixing the problems and get a polite response. Just don't call him all pissed off, that wont get you anywhere.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:20 PM

Bad Carpet Photos from Earlier Thread (editied)

USE THIS LINK TO SEE PHOTOS

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...elected=744840

Last edited by Alexander; 01-22-2004 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:10 AM

Last journal entry: 2 years later
Last photo:

holy sheep ***** batman.I can't believe anyone (let alone pro)would make such a mess.It looks like a couple of 12 year olds done it.
wasn't it a buddy that recommended him.?
I don't think I would have taken it from the shop until it was fixed. there's no way you didn't notice that right off.
I think i'd hire a few BIG buddies to accompany me back to his shop for replacement or cash back--- NOW!!!---
sorry for telling you in the other thread to keep cool. mike
Old 01-23-2004, 08:17 AM

That's a $400 interior job?! Looks like 10 minutes with a caulk gun and a $20 roll of industrial carpet. I would not be a happy camper.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:22 AM

Well this is my daily driver. He was reccomended by a local resto shop. He knew I was going out of town and had it an extra day from the time he quoted. I had to pick it up and get on the road. He had it parked outside and it was raining.I made my displeasure known about not getting the kickpanels or tailgate done as requested!! and the carpet stopping so short on the firewall. I took all my stuff that he did not reinstall (door seals , console etc). It was not till I got in there and started to put it back toghter I noticed THE COMPLETE LACK of proffsionalism. At this point I do not even think I want to give him a chance to fix it.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:24 PM
First name...............Shawn

Last photo:

Yeah, that looks like some cheap carpet. That guy is a professional? And I merged your two threads so a new visitor to the forum can follow the story better.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.