How to bid automotive media blasting jobs? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2010, 08:31 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How to bid automotive media blasting jobs?

hi i have been an industrial sandblaster painter for 15+ yrs....have used several different media's....black beauty,silica,starblast,walnut shell, etc..........i have no problem bidding structural jobs and tanks......i have blasted a few of my own truck projects with star blast with good results.......no warping or other issues.......my question is really related to when it comes to doing cars and trucks what is the going rate for blasting vehicles.....i of course want to maximize profit and not leave any money on the table....what is this service worth to the serious customer bottom and topline.......i know their are blasters on here as i have read some of their posts. any input or info would be appreciated from the professionals or people that have had it done........what did you pay and what all did it cover??? exterior only...interior or both???? how much????? thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2010, 04:57 PM

Last journal entry: 54
Last photo:

you need to find media blasters in your area and go from there. Talk to restoration shops and other places that would have this work done and ask them what it cost to have a car done. find out who they use and then call them and get a quote. You will have to determine how much material it will take to blast a car(varies on how many layers of paint, type, body filler, ect...) , fuel for your blaster if gas/diesel powered, or electricity having compressor on all the time. You will find out prices vary dramatically between areas. You will have to base YOUR price on YOUR area. Other wise you might find out the hard way that 1)you don't have any work because you are too high or 2) you have TOO much work because you are too cheap. Either way, you will go broke in the long run. With that said, one place here in KC is @1000-1200 for a complete car inside and out on rotisserie. Another shop charges $70 an hour for how ever long it takes. Dont plan on getting rich blasting cars bodies. You warp ONE panel and you will have a mess to deal with from the customer!!!(AND any future customers)
Old 07-12-2010, 06:48 PM

Last photo:

thanks for the different perspective underground.....good info
Old 07-14-2010, 11:58 PM

Last photo:

theres a guy around here that does it(mobile) i seen hes done gravity boxes, heavy equipment, and a did a few of my friends cars.. he is doing mine in 2 weeks.. the bottom of the car,engine bay, inside of the car and i think he just uses sand. i think he charges 75 a hour but not sure.. it was around 200-250 for a car like i said above.. there used to be a media blaster shop but they closed so i dont know what they charged.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:28 PM

Last photo:

thanks.....i am also mobile...i am just trying to expand my services.....i know you have to be careful with cars because warping someones project would definitely not be a good thing.....i know it's not a get rich thing....just enjoy doing it more than steel structure and tanks...i'm in central fla.....so if you know of any shops down here.....let me know......thanks for all the input from everyone
Old 07-18-2010, 12:43 PM

Last photo:

just found this site with some good info http://www.blastoffny.com/pricing.php
Old 07-24-2010, 10:27 PM

Had a '67 Mustang sandblasted here in SD. Undercarriage, engine bay, Jambs, and dusted the interior floors for $300. The customer and I were both content with the price.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:11 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

1,200.00 around here...inside and out ..owner disassembles...
One thing ...when you run into a panel thats stuffed with bondo(and you will),leave the bondo showing or you'll get blamed for the damage...
BTW, I'm in augusta now but I came from central fla (ocala) I might be able to hook you up with a few shops there ....PM me if you want..
Old 07-25-2010, 04:34 PM

I'm in New Jersey and my prices are similar to blastoffny.com

We use a Farrow System which uses Volcanic Glass media with low pressure in a vapor mist to eliminate dust.

Our prices are anywhere from $1200 to $1800 for a complete car both inside, outside as well as underneath.

And yes if you run into bondo.... stop and let the owner know... also take digital pictures before, during and after.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:58 AM

I think a mobile service would be a great idea,I've had my own body shop for over 20 yrs and I've been toying around with the idea of starting a mobile service for paint stripping ,patch panels and 1/4s (just metal work).I already go around to other shops that dont have the time or talent for special work so doing it for private customers isnt that big a step... I think its a big deal for someone to trust a body shop with their pride and joy (not to mention very expensive).Its also THE most important and hardest part of a resto (especially for a newbie),so this might help them get started and put some fire under them.....This might just take off from the feedback I've recieved so far...
Old 08-06-2010, 03:15 PM

Last photo:

thanks deadbody man for the info....i sent you a pm with my info...thanks to all, for your input
Old 08-08-2010, 10:39 PM

Last photo:

here is some pics of my recent blast job.. he was mobile and came out to the farm. he used sand and didnt hurt a thing, he stayed away from 1/4s and did all that you can see.only took a little over a hour. i used aircraft stripper to get all the factory undercoating off. he would have been there alot longer if i had not done it in the first place..

only cost $160 and that was with a $20+ tip. he charges $90 a hour. i thought he charged 75 a hour. he figured about 175 but that was before he came out and it went really fast. me stripping the cars undercoating really helped keep the cost low

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-09-2010, 05:23 AM

WOW, thats in great shape...A mobile service really sounds like the way to go..
Old 08-09-2010, 07:07 AM

Last photo:

The mobile deal is the way to go, there is a guy I used on and off for last 20 years, he is a preacher but has a sand blasting system.

He does have a policy that if he comes to your place, its a minimum of $850 to make it worth while, I think that is fair.

A lot of times, when I'm ready he is booked up for two weeks and I end up blasting myself, that is the only drawback to him is he is busy.

Another friend who owns a restoration shop in the GA mountains, just opened a sandblasting and soda blasting shop next to his body shop.

It was a $45,000 investment and when asked I said you are nuts, well he smart enough not to take my advice and the guy has been booked solid since second week and has hired two extra guys. He is getting about $1000 for 69 camaro type car in and out.

Great business, for sure.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:53 AM

Man ,Try to find a blasting shop in the yellow pages here in augusta and your S.O.L.....There was one shop but not any more it wasnt mobile either...
I'll bet it would take off just as quick here,too....
Now where did I put that fifty grand ????

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.