Hot Rod Forum banner

How big of a carb do I need?

12K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  Dans83Olds 
#1 ·
I am building a chevy 350 4 bolt for my 83 olds cutlass 4-door. We are making the car a sleeper. We currently have ported and polished heads, a .302 duration .500 lift cam, torker II intake, roller rockers, bored .30 over, 2500 stall, and headers. we are wondering how big of a carb do we need for this engine? we want to put an edelbrock on it to match the intake. thanks.

#27 ·
As you know chucky, I follow you on the agreement of Rochester Quadrajets, gotta love that low end sensitivity and the infamous howl when the secondaries open up. I`ve learned how to tune them for hi performance use, not quite as easy as a holley, but the pay off is better low end response even with the bigger cam. I run a Demon carb now cause I don`t like Holley`s, too cheap. only down fall of the Demon is, there a complete pain in the A** to tune.

#28 ·
Yes! Tho they are made a bit cheaper then they were in the old days, bad castings no prep work to remove the flashing ,etc. But still a better carb then the box stock carter or Edelbrock that is being sold now days in the same price range. And the old Qjets loved to hear and feel the secondaries open on them and leaned how to tune them pretty well back when? Run what ever you can afford or works for You ! Scott

#29 ·
Originally posted by 4 Jaw Chuck:
<strong>

Anyone here ever try a Predator carb? I would like to know what tuning that carb is like. Seemed like the answer when this carb first came out, hardly see them anymore.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Chuck, I used one once on a 66 Fairlane 500 that had a 428 Cobra Jet in it. I bracket raced the car, and I normally ran a QuadraJet on it. I bought a used Predator off of a friend for a song, bolted it on, and it worked admirably. I think the Predator is probably one of the most user friendly carbs ever built, and with simple cam changes, the fuel curve is easily modified for whatever horsepower level you are running. I went back to my Q-Jet eventually, because I felt that my tricked out Q-Jet out-horsepowered the Predator, but I never really concentrated with maximizing it {plus my buddies razzed me about running a box on top of my engine} Cool carburetors, but I really think asthetics killed their popularity.

#30 ·
I have a Old Friend that runs 2 on his 302 SBF Super pro camaro, yes ford motor in a camaro! He turns this motor very hard! With a 4 speed trany, very Fun To Drive!! He has used them for at least 10+ years, very tunable, i think you can adjust the CFMs? and he runs one on his BBC tow and work truck the second designe more street-able with the better idle circuitry, about the only thing that they will fit with out cutting the hood, He loves these carbs.Every body asks if they are fuel-injection!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.