How big a compessor? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2003, 06:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

How big a compessor?

Ok..Ready to mig weld cab corners but first need to remove the old ones with a cutoff tool...I bought one but my trusty 1 hp sears compressor doesn't come close. I'm ready to buy but unsure how big a compressor I need...I need one big enough to use a cutoff tool and air grinder but also will paint with it. Although I'll paint the whole truck...it will be a fender at a time etc.

How many Scfm's do I need amd how large a torage tank?

Thanks,

Keith

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2003, 09:44 PM
Last photo:

Look for a compressor that is two cylinder piston type, belt driven and rated at least 2hp (not peak hp). Do not take a diaphram direct drive peak rated hp compressor, they suck and are too noisy imo.

Vince
Old 08-08-2003, 10:00 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

check out this link, I am planning to buy one myself
http://www.dodge-charger.com/Charger...threadid=22315
Old 08-09-2003, 06:36 AM

What concerns me is air tools seem to need about a min of 4 cfms an 90# pressure...some hvlp paint guns need over 11 at 40 # pressure I don't think the compessors shown at that link can put that out. I'd love to find out I'm wrong thou...
Old 08-09-2003, 07:41 AM
Home Built Rods No Rules

Last journal entry: Home Made Sheetmetal bender plans
Last photo:

if you get a single stage try and find the most cfm rating at 90psi at least a 60 gallon tank,5hp,if you can get a two stage 80 gallon tank you spend the bucks it'll be the last compressor you ever buy ( my opinion ) and a good name brand
Old 08-09-2003, 08:12 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I have a 5HP 40 gallon oiless campbell hausfeld. It works good for painting, but comes up short on the cutoff wheel. I would say it is as small as you could go and run a paint gun, but it does work. That said, I wish I had spent 100 dallars more and got a larger belt drive unit with larger tank.

Chris
Old 08-09-2003, 01:26 PM

there is no such thing as to big.As the tool box grows so does the need for a bigger compressor.I started with a 6.5 hp with a 60 gallon and now have a 10hp 3 stage snap-on.Buy one big enough the first time, it's an investment
Old 08-10-2003, 08:55 AM

Last photo:

I found the easiest way to get the right compressor (and for the right price) was to build my own. I went to a scrap yard here that is semis only, and i found an air system that had a 16cfm 2-stage westinghouse compressor head! I bought it for $40. I then visited the local scrap metal dealer and bought an old, expired 100 gallon propane tank, same angle iron, and some piping. So, with some time and welding, you can build yourself a very nice compressor for the right price (approx $200 with pressure cut off switch, filters, 4hp 220v motor, etc) compared to some $2000+ shop compressors that are just as good. Just a thought to think about, and its a fun project.
Old 08-10-2003, 09:22 AM

Thanks guys...I guess size does matter....lol Seems like 7-10 horse with 60 gallon tank is what I'm lookin at. Two stage...Will probably visit Sears or Home Depot. Money also matters.

Thanks much for the input.

Slick
Old 08-11-2003, 07:22 PM

Last photo:

Brad- I always admire someone with your ingenuity,my hat is off to you, BUT did you have that old tank hydrostatic tested? If not I would STRONGLY advise you(or anyone building his own compressor) to do so unless it is a tank designed for the purpose and in good condition. In my many years of welding in the mining industry I have seen two tanks rupture and it is almost unbelivable what they can do if it happens. One old 40 gallon tank burst at 175 psi and nearly took the cab off a dm 800 mack truck! The other blew a hole in a garage wall so big you could drive a car through it! I truly wish I had some pictures of that truck as it would surly make my point.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.