How big Ford '33 interior door pulls? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2004, 05:10 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How big Ford '33 interior door pulls?

Guys

I'm looking for a nice chrome interior door handle for my (suicide) 32 tudor and the oval '33 handles look nice in catalogs, -but I don;t want anything too bulky. Nothing original is listed for the 32

I've never seen the '33 handle on a car (in England) so can anyone tell me how big they are? (outside dimensions of the oval) - or anyone have a photo of a 33 door panel showing all the handles??

Advice appreciated, thanks
Limey

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2004, 05:37 AM
First name...............Shawn

Last photo:

I know exactly what door pulls you are talking about. My guess would be 3"-4" wide. Do you have a Lebaron Bonney catalog? That would be the first place i would look.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:43 AM

Last photo:

I've seen them in Moss and Bob Drake catalogs but no sizes given

Anyone??
Old 02-25-2004, 08:24 AM

Last photo:

they are BIG, the stock length door handle is about 5 inches long. and it sits such that when the roof is lowered your passengers knee is at risk of hitting it (and a 33/34 suicide door has its name for a reason!!)

i think Rodline carries them in reproduction (i hate recomending them, as the new owner is an azzhole and cheated me out of some money, delivered the wrong thing, and was 8 months late doing it)

i would use an rear inner door handle from a 1980's mercedes, they are very cheap, excelent quality. and the chrome lasts a lifetime

btw, were you at the ESRA nats in Herning, denmark this past summer?
Old 02-25-2004, 10:11 AM

Last photo:

Deuce 454 - thanks for the reply - though we may be at cross purposes as I had in mind the oval door-closing handle which '33s had - sounds like you are referring to the door opening handle??

Haven't made it to the ESRA nats yet as I only got the 32 on the road in middle of 2003, but its a trip I;d like to do.

Anyone got a '33 oval handle they could measure?

Thanks
Limey
Old 02-25-2004, 12:49 PM

Last photo:

you are correct, i was refering to the opening handle.. sorry, the reason i ask is that i was there and perhaps we had bumped.. it'd be cool if you posted som pics of what you were up to, always cool to see other projects.

Im aiming to be done before the Nats this summer, but it sure is a long drive to barcelona from copenhagen in an open roadster, not to mention the gas price with a Big Block chevy and 3.73 gears...
Old 02-26-2004, 02:55 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Limey, not sure what you are really looking for so will throw in some food for thought. The title of your thread ...door pulls, is what 's confusing to me. The chrome handles in Bob Drake are for locking and opening the door. They are made from pot metal and will break if used to pull the door closed, thus is not a door pull. Door pulls to me, are an armrest with a cutout to hold onto to pull closed, or a strap that is firmly anchored to inner door skin.. The chrome jobs in Bob Drake are a tidy package, but I don't think the 32 and 33 are that interchangeable. You can email Bob Drake and get the correct info from them. Quite often, their catalogs and web page does not get close to what they really have in stock.

Trees
Old 02-27-2004, 02:19 AM

Last photo:

It seems that you can't buy the oval door pulls any more (Drake & Moss all out) so this thread is dead!

As I have suicide doors on my sedan I need something inside to pull the door closed - don't want to use the window winder or door opener handle as they aren't too strong, and in England I don't always have the window open! Maybe I should look at a small armrest-type handle

Trees- thanks again for the anti rattles- still going great!

Limey
Old 02-27-2004, 06:58 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Limey,

If you could find the pull you want, how would you attach it to provide a solid base. Is there something metal behind the upholstery where you can get a good grab with some screws? (Just wondering because I'm currently using my door handle to pull shut and this thread got me thinking about how wise that is.)

Dewey
Old 02-27-2004, 07:25 AM

Last photo:

cboy

I guess I'm in an unusual position with an original English bodied '32, which has wooden door frames and a 7/8" plywood panel thru the middle! (seems to be a hangover from model A construction methods)

Now looking for alternatives - something nice in chrome

Limey

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.