how to blend ss metallic panel on new paint job - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2012, 06:54 PM
two cups of tea

Last wiki edit: Need more horsepower for my 305 Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

how to blend ss metallic panel on new paint job

Ok fellas so I screwd up I just paintined my dd in a In a ss metallic charcoal gray&all went well but I did notice some body work I did is showing where I didnt blend the body filler correctly its in a few small areas almost looks like a run.Noone else can really notice but its driving me nuts so I wanna fix it.I lm guessing I sand it down to how it should be till its all flush&even&go out a inch or two cover the rest of the area&re shoot?Im just scared the color will come out off.PLEASE HELP

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 09:31 AM
two cups of tea

200 views with no ideas
Old 05-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,076 Times in 959 Posts
Ok, here's an idea, leave it.

The learning curve is VERY, VERY steep on blending a SS metallic, VERY steep.

Even panel painting a whole door for instance in a SS metallic with the same paint that the car was shot in is asking a lot of a guy who hasn't painted a lot of cars. Just a little different technique and it can produce a little different shade. If it's the hood or roof, yeah you can get by with a lot. But a panel on the side of the car like a fender, or door, it WILL stand out.

The odds that your repair will be more noticeable than the flaw you are fixing is great.

Just where is this flaw and how big is it? For a daily driver, I personally am not that picky. I once was, not anymore. I want to be able to park it at the supermarket without having it in my head while I am picking out my breakfast cereal.

I like to make the judgement call this way, when someone walks up to your car from a distance, how close do they have to get before they start seeing flaws? If from thirty feet they see "A damn nice car", I'd say that's good enough for a driver as this is as close as 99.9% of people are going to be to it anyway.

Brian
Old 05-21-2012, 10:36 AM

Last photo:

Brian speaks the truth.

Metallic paints have tiny metal flakes in it, you knew that. Here is what happens. If you spray dry, the flakes tend to stay oriented they way they hit the panel. If on edge, that stay on edge. If the flakes hit the panel flat, they stay flat.
Flakes laying flat reflect more light, making the paint look lighter. Flakes on edge do not reflect as much light, and the paint looks darker.
If you spray wet, the flakes tends to settle to a flatter orientation. This is why if you do not spray metallic paints with exactly the same overlap on gun passes, you get "tiger stripes"

So, to match the paint on the car doing a spot repair, you have to match every condition you had when you sprayed the car the first time. Same temperature, same humidity, same paint application conditions, every thing exactly the same. If you are very experienced spraying variables are reduced. If you took extensive careful notes of how you sprayed the car, you might be able to reproduce the results.

So, if you really want to redo the paint and body work, you can. It is your car. But there is a very good possibility you will have to redo the rework a few times to get it right.

I suggest if you decide to redo the car, take very careful notes, and the results of the paint. If you do not like what you see, the notes will give you an idea of what not to do.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:27 PM

Last photo:

I feel your pain. The color will come out off. I have a few of those and thinking about reshooting the whole panel, but then you panel might look different than the rest of the car.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:54 PM

Last photo:

" I just paintined my dd in a In a ss metallic charcoal gray&all went well but..."

"Ok, here's an idea, leave it.

The learning curve is VERY, VERY steep on blending a SS metallic, VERY steep."

I assume you used hardener in the paint. That means any paint will sit on top of the repaint, NOT melt into it. The blend line WILL show up no matter what you do or how you do it. Clear coating the entire panel will change the color.

Like they said 'perfection is for the gods'
Old 05-21-2012, 03:37 PM
two cups of tea

Woah!Thanks fellas tons of info,I guess I should just be happy my first paint job came out good epically for a ss metallic,Im gonna try to post a picture of the issue.I think it bothers me more so just because the rest came out so well&I knew I needed to sand the filler down more but got ahead of myself.
Anyways you cant see it from more than a couple of feet away,Ive showed it to a bunch of people&they say Im just being a spaz.My old man said if it bothers me so much through a big mopar magnet over it.Im gonna try to live with it&if it eats@me Ill just shoot the whole panel&hit the rest of the truck with a coat or 2 later on this summerIts on the cab where the back seat is.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.