How to on Body Off Build? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2006, 06:50 PM
36 Dream

Last journal entry: The fire...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How to on Body Off Build?

I'm in process of removing the body from a 36 Ford Coupe in anticipation of placing it on a TCI frame that I've got. I've removed every frame bolt and floor pan bolt that I can find, yet can not see that by prying the body is ready to come up. I don't want to call my buddies in for the actual lift until I know that everything is ready.

The body is stripped of everything but the spare tire, which will come off next. I'd like to keep the doors in place as this I believe will help maintain rigidity and lessen the risk of the body torqueing upon removal.

When I pry the body from the frame at the firewall on either side, I do get some movement which is a possitive sign, but only 1/4 inch or so...Any attempt to get the body lifting from the rear has been futile.

Ideas from anyone with experience in pulling old bodies from frames, would be much appreciated. It really seems that I am at a stoping point for the moment. This is my first time, so it is entirely possible I'm overlooking the obvious...

Desperate....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2006, 09:29 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Before tackling any project like that you need a body manual for the car. Almost any decent sized swap meet will have someone selling them. A good body manual will show you where all the bolts are. You'd be surprised where they can hide body bolts on those old things.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:59 PM

Last journal entry: It's getting there
Last photo:

1936 Chevy

Try www.gregsonline.com they have shop manuals for the '36 for $20.00. I used one for my '41. saved a bunch of time.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:29 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Most bolts are installed vertical, but there are a few that come in form the side. The sneaky ones are the two bolts that hold the sill plates on and a couple that are in the side pockets on the frame just in front of the rear wheels (right where the frame rails start to hump up to clear the rear axle. The rear bumper bracket mounting bolts also go through the tail pan of the body and the frame. There are also vertical bolts that lock the floor pan to the X members. I do not remember if any of the woooden strengthening strips are bolted to the frame or not.

If your floor pan is intact, then you are not gaining any thing by keeping the doors on. If they are rusted out badly, I would still remove the doors and tack weld in an X brace from 1"X 1/8 angle iron or square tubing for rigidity.

If you are going to have Buds come by for the big lift, i suggest you raise the front end first and slide a long 2X4 under it and do the same on the back. Prepare the blocks, saw horses or dolly to recieve the body and then one Bud opn each end of the 2X4s can easily move the car to it's resting place. My bud and I have removed several bodies by our selves, using rope bridles and 2X4s and an engine hoist. We pass the 2Xs through the door/window openings, tack a board from one to the other to keep them from sliding to gether and loop ropes from the cherry picker hook to the 2X ends and pick it right up. One of us mans the hoist and the other stabalizes the body.

Trees

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.