How to bond? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2013, 06:42 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Alan, have you tried the two sided tape? Stuffs pretty thin and if you cut it to fit what your putting it on...chances are you won't see it. Do you see any two sided tape on emblems on cars?

If you haven't tried it, try it. Just might be the cure your looking for and you had it all the time.

Ray
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 06:43 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvo View Post
Martin, I have some two sided tape, just seems like it would be too thick. I'd like to have this look like it's just sitting there, but not move.
New Interiors, your right, I did ask and I appreciate your suggestion. But again, I'm not made out of money so I don't want to spend BIG$ when I need such a small amount of adhesive. Thanx everyone!
Alan
No problem Alan... I do understand that... What every you use,, Just put a dab of it in the middle and Nothing should come oozing out if you don't try to cover the whole peice.. That little dab in the center will smash just right..
Old 04-21-2013, 06:46 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
Very true about ripping something a part...

Here's a truck I added some step shavers to and the roll pan.. I used the Speed grip to bond everything on the truck,,, Well it's a pro street truck,,, A few months after I did it,, He called me up and said he wanted me to fix some crack's in the fender,,

I went over to see it and asked what happen ???? He said someone was trying to steal his wheels one night and they didn't get away with it, But he went some wheres in the truck and didn't see he had just one lug left on one side..

WELL !!!! THE Wheel came off the truck going down the road and the truck fell on top the wheel tryed to rip EVERYTHING off the truck.. NOTHING I had bonded came loose... But cracked it in a few places.. So I have to say it's very strong for sure... Now you can use ANYTHING you want too... You asked I told you about it... Use what you want to..

I just remember being told about it when it first came out and was very sceptical...then the 3M guy came around, stuck two pieces of fairly thick metal together and with some hydraulics he had rigged up, began trying to pull the two pieces of metal apart...the metal tore but the area with adhesive held up...I was sold.

Ray
Old 04-21-2013, 06:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
I just remember being told about it when it first came out and was very sceptical...then the 3M guy came around, stuck two pieces of fairly thick metal together and with some hydraulics he had rigged up, began trying to pull the two pieces of metal apart...the metal tore but the area with adhesive held up...I was sold.

Ray
My friend is a very good painter, (one of the best) He was fixing his little girls car seems like everytime I went there,, Well he would always show me how it would rip the metal everytime and not the glass part he would bond on... Strong stuff,, I don't remember if it was the speed grip or not.. But it was one of them for sure...Now I'm hooked..
Old 04-21-2013, 07:09 PM
Heathen

Last photo:

Here's the disk I'm trying to bond. I took the car for it's first post paint ride today. I forgot that the disk was just sitting there. The popper seems to have held it in place just fine. Guess I could always go with that option!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7602 (2).jpg
Views:	33
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	73391  
Old 04-21-2013, 07:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Here's the disk I'm trying to bond. I took the car for it's first post paint ride today. I forgot that the disk was just sitting there. The popper seems to have held it in place just fine. Guess I could always go with that option!
Very nice !!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to NEW INTERIORS For This Useful Post:
evolvo (04-22-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 08:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Don't really care to put silicone on a car.. Seems to cause rust...
That's just me..
There's nothing about silicone to attract or hold water, or dirt that would promote rust. The panel adhesive you recommended is wonderful stuff, but it seems to me overkill in this situation.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:43 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedanbob View Post
There's nothing about silicone to attract or hold water, or dirt that would promote rust. The panel adhesive you recommended is wonderful stuff, but it seems to me overkill in this situation.
Just seen over the years when silicone was on a car it always had rust where it was...

The stuff is over kill just for what he want's to do.. But it does come in handy having it around the shop for other things... If he needed to use it for other things I say buy it... But if he is just doing this and will never need it again.. Buy something else... It is some $$$ for it..
Old 04-21-2013, 08:49 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

I had a Scion in the shop that had been rear ended HARD. The quarter was all buckled up and upon inspection you could see that it had been bonded with "structural bonding adhesive" and not very well done either! Very poor job of surface prep for the adhesive and other than a couple of spots over the wheel well it held everywhere else. It was a hack of a test for the stuff.

How about my son's science project from a few years ago?

Welding or Bolting vs gluing panels on, a science project...

And a follow up test. Follow up peel test from my sons science project on welds vs glue.

Brian
Old 04-21-2013, 09:03 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Just seen over the years when silicone was on a car it always had rust where it was...

The stuff is over kill just for what he want's to do.. But it does come in handy having it around the shop for other things... If he needed to use it for other things I say buy it... But if he is just doing this and will never need it again.. Buy something else... It is some $$$ for it..
Sure it does Randy, 6 months ago a customer, before he loaned it to me, warned me about a die cast model of a project car I'm on now that he owned...The mirrors where always falling of, you can't buy them separately and the die cast car cost him about $130. I needed the model so I could do an artist rendering, and implement the custom changes of what his car was going to look like after I was done...sure enough...the mirrors broke off ... off course...I looked at the mirrors, and said to my self screw it...I glued them on with 3m's 08147...30 seconds later, you could not tell...saved me $130...customer was happy, the mirrors where in tack...he did comment though that the mirrors felt as though they where on tighter than before, I agreed and told him that he mentioned that the mirrors falling of was a constant problem, so I tried to reinforce them to avoid the problem in the future.

When his car is done in 2015, I'll fess up...until then it's going to be my secret...saved my butt and I got the rendering done and the job will consume my working days and nights for several years to come.

Ray
Old 04-22-2013, 07:52 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Martin, I have some two sided tape, just seems like it would be too thick. I'd like to have this look like it's just sitting there, but not move.
New Interiors, your right, I did ask and I appreciate your suggestion. But again, I'm not made out of money so I don't want to spend BIG$ when I need such a small amount of adhesive. Thanx everyone!
Alan
My next idea would be window Urethane. It's 1K and doesn't need a special gun.

Brian
Old 04-22-2013, 08:19 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
My next idea would be window Urethane. It's 1K and doesn't need a special gun.

Brian
Don't that stay soft ???
Old 04-22-2013, 08:28 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Don't that stay soft ???
Nope, it may seem flexible in a 3/8" thick bed under a window but in reality it is pretty hard when fully cured. It is very similar to the silicone recommended as well, but fully cured and this thin as we are talking it isn't soft at all.

We are talking a bond that is used for structural parts of the car. On a late model unibody it is used to bond the glass, and many trunk floors by Mercedes and Chrysler.

Brian
Old 04-22-2013, 08:31 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Nope, it may seem flexible in a 3/8" thick bed under a window but in reality it is pretty hard when fully cured. It is very similar to the silicone recommended as well, but fully cured and this thin as we are talking it isn't soft at all.

We are talking a bond that is used for structural parts of the car. On a late model unibody it is used to bond the glass, and many trunk floors by Mercedes and Chrysler.

Brian
Yeah.. I would say your right...
Old 04-22-2013, 09:44 AM
Heathen

Last photo:

Quote:
Very nice !!!!!!
Aw, gee, shucks!! Thanx, NEW INTERIORS. Guess I should post over in the Does your car get attention and do you like it?. Cause I love when someone gives me a for my car. Truth be told, I think anyone who says they DON'T like that acknowledgment is full of it.
And again, thanx for all the help with my little bonding issue!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.