How to bond? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2013, 12:13 PM
Heathen

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How to bond?

I've installed a popper with a rubber tip in the nose of my hood. It "pops" the hood about 3/8", just enough to make it easy to lift. Trouble is the popper is leaving a blemish in the paint where it contacts the radiator support. I have a small round SS disk, about 1/16" thick that I want to bond over this blemish. I've tried drilling a hole in it, but it's too tough for my drills. This disk came with a set of poppers I bought before and was meant to be attached with double sided tape. Way to thick to look or work well. Any ideas as to what would work the best?

Thanx, Alan

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 02:26 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I would use something like Speed Grip...
Come's in different drying times.. Just make sure you have it where you want it..
Old 04-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Heathen

Last photo:

Thanx, guess I'll visit Dean at the paint supply store and see if he's got any of this!
Old 04-21-2013, 03:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvo View Post
Thanx, guess I'll visit Dean at the paint supply store and see if he's got any of this!
Only thing about this you need the gun to go with it..I think the gun was $65,00 But come's in handy,, I used it for the first time a while back... I like it...work's very well.. There is other ones, But I use this one..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NOR-04615.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	73380   Click image for larger version

Name:	manual-applicator-gun.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	73381  
Old 04-21-2013, 03:22 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

It is an excellent product and less expensive than 3M's Body panel adhesive...what gets me about both or any brands...they never give you enough mixing tips. Recently I used 3M's 08147, the 30 second stuff and I completely ran out of tips...so I pushed out equal amounts of A & B, mixed it with a razor blade...real quick...30 seconds later...it ain't coming apart. It's amazing what they've done with adhesives, these are sand-able and prime-able.

Ray
Old 04-21-2013, 03:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
It is an excellent product and less expensive than 3M's Body panel adhesive...what gets me about both or any brands...they never give you enough mixing tips. Recently I used 3M's 08147, the 30 second stuff and I completely ran out of tips...so I pushed out equal amounts of A & B, mixed it with a razor blade...real quick...30 seconds later...it ain't coming apart. It's amazing what they've done with adhesives, these are sand-able and prime-able.

Ray
Good point... I always pick up a extra pack of tips.. They are not that much I think for 5 or 6.. Another thing is When your done using it,, Take the tip off wipe the end of it,, Don't let them two colors make contact..

It will get hard on the end of the tubes..
Old 04-21-2013, 05:34 PM
Heathen

Last photo:

I used Fusor 129 in my rain gutters. Dean loaned me a gun, which was great. But then my friend Chris at Extreme Metal and Paint loaned me his pneumatic gun. Talk about a walk in the park. Just gotta move extra fast! Thanx, all!
Alan

PS That stuff looks like it will work, but I need about one dime size dab for this disk. How about Gorilla Glue?
Old 04-21-2013, 05:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvo View Post
I used Fusor 129 in my rain gutters. Dean loaned me a gun, which was great. But then my friend Chris at Extreme Metal and Paint loaned me his pneumatic gun. Talk about a walk in the park. Just gotta move extra fast! Thanx, all!
Alan

PS That stuff looks like it will work, but I need about one dime size dab for this disk. How about Gorilla Glue?
not sure it would work,, Never had any luck with it... Remember the old saying,, You get what you pay for.... Give it a try,, Don't cost much if it doen't work..(gorilla glue)
Old 04-21-2013, 06:00 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Randy is right, products like Norton's Speed Grip, 3M's Body Panel Adhesive are adhesives that are tried, tested and true. These are structural adhesives used to bond new quarter panels on cars and many other areas where structural integrity is important. You don't need to use very much, after you have applied the adhesive, clamp the two objects together and allow to cure, many times you will rip the metal before the adhesive lets go. There are others on the market such as Fusor and others, I'm sure they work. My experience is with Norton and 3M's product and can speak to their reliability.

Ray
Old 04-21-2013, 06:11 PM

Last photo:

You are just trying to keep this disc in place - there won't be any load or sheer on it. A small dab of silicone or emblem adhesive will do the trick.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Heathen

Last photo:

Emblem adhesive, that sounds good. The reason I referenced a dime size dab is that I can't see buying a $50? tube of 3M for that job. Thanx again!
Alan
Old 04-21-2013, 06:21 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
Two sided tape just as it would he held on any car made in the past number of decades seems right to me. Two sided foam tape holds on an amazing amount of things on late model cars from the step on a rear bumper of a mini van to emblems to door seals to side mouldings, it's a killer product for something like this. No oozing out and getting all over no need to hold it until it sets. Just put two sided tape on and stick it where you want it.

It's a neat product to have around, does a million and one things.

Brian
Old 04-21-2013, 06:27 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Randy is right, products like Norton's Speed Grip, 3M's Body Panel Adhesive are adhesives that are tried, tested and true. These are structural adhesives used to bond new quarter panels on cars and many other areas where structural integrity is important. You don't need to use very much, after you have applied the adhesive, clamp the two objects together and allow to cure, many times you will rip the metal before the adhesive lets go. There are others on the market such as Fusor and others, I'm sure they work. My experience is with Norton and 3M's product and can speak to their reliability.

Ray
Very true about ripping something a part...

Here's a truck I added some step shavers to and the roll pan.. I used the Speed grip to bond everything on the truck,,, Well it's a pro street truck,,, A few months after I did it,, He called me up and said he wanted me to fix some crack's in the fender,,

I went over to see it and asked what happen ???? He said someone was trying to steal his wheels one night and they didn't get away with it, But he went some wheres in the truck and didn't see he had just one lug left on one side..

WELL !!!! THE Wheel came off the truck going down the road and the truck fell on top the wheel tryed to rip EVERYTHING off the truck.. NOTHING I had bonded came loose... But cracked it in a few places.. So I have to say it's very strong for sure... Now you can use ANYTHING you want too... You asked I told you about it... Use what you want to..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	103_6912.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	73384   Click image for larger version

Name:	103_6911.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	73385  
Old 04-21-2013, 06:29 PM

Last photo:

Don't really care to put silicone on a car.. Seems to cause rust...
That's just me..
Old 04-21-2013, 06:36 PM
Heathen

Last photo:

Martin, I have some two sided tape, just seems like it would be too thick. I'd like to have this look like it's just sitting there, but not move.
New Interiors, your right, I did ask and I appreciate your suggestion. But again, I'm not made out of money so I don't want to spend BIG$ when I need such a small amount of adhesive. Thanx everyone!
Alan

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.