how to build a 327 for my 63 c20 fleet side - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2010, 12:19 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

how to build a 327 for my 63 c20 fleet side

I just picked up my 63 C20 fleet side it has a 327. I absolutely know nothing about what I would need to buy in order to make it run half way between a stump puller and a street machine. I know my C20 is a very heavy truck and am looking to get a bigger engine latter down the road. I would also like to put this 327 in a car some where down the road so would like to build it right. I have 1,400 to spend on it now and more latter if need be. looking for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2010, 05:58 AM

Last photo:

There are many ways to go about it. For the truck you'll want something that gives it more low end grunt for pulling power. Not to mention that truck weighs quite a bit.

If you don't know much about engines, I would purchase a book on rebuilding...There are tons out there and a good place to start.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Rebuild-Yo.../dp/1557880298

PS-maybe look to something like the Edelbrock Performer or any type of RV/Truck Cam and dual plane intake.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:50 AM

Last photo:

My dad and I built a nice 327 for his 55 chevy 210/4spd. Sm Journal 327 +.030. Reconditioned rods, stock steel crank, refurbished over the counter fuelie heads w. 2.02/1.60 valves, KB hypereutectic pistons. compression is mid to low 9s, car runs on 89 octane. Edelbrock Performer (non RPM - dont ask me why) AirGap, Edelbrock 1406 carb w. elec choke and a comp cams 262H. Pertronix Ignitor II ignition conversion and coil.
Plenty of bottom end, has a nice idle through the 2.5" exhaust, ported rams horns, LONG cherry bombs (burnt out now) and turn outs before the rear axle...GREAT street rod motor for him.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:44 AM

Last photo:

You can't build a good 327 for that little. You need about twice that. I would look into buting a running vortec 350 do a intak/carb/dizzy swap and install a used zz4 cam. It'll total around 1500.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:02 PM

First thing you need to know is that a 327 is a strong mid-range configuration. (2500-6000 rpm's) That means that if you want it too make any bottom end torque at all below 3000 RPMs then you will need to focus on that like a laser. If you already have a stock quadrajet intake that is a good start for making torque. Stay away from single plane intake manifolds. For a good street 327 I also prefer a regular performer intake to the RPM for the reason given above. The next thing you'll need is a good set of heads. I went with a ported set of fuelie heads, Vortecs would be even better. What heads do you have now? Whatever you do here, if you go with aftermarket heads then DO NOT GET HEADS WITH HUGE INTAKE RUNNERS! Factory fuelie heads have all the flow a street 327 will ever need, and once again their small (by todays standards) runners are a plus for making torque with small cubes. If you want something for the strip that is a whole different ballgame.

The cam I went with is just a little Elgin E1029p. .050 durration 214/.443 lift. $55.00 from Competition products and it is VERY similar to the 350 horse cam. Not quite as much duration but the dynamic compression should be better, more bottom end torque.. Yet hitting 6500 Rpm's should be a walk in the park. I will also be using high ratio 1.6 rockers on the intake which will bump the lift up to about .470.
An excellent performance piece for a 327 would be a hydraulic roller cam because that way you could maximize lift without too much durration. But finding one with the right specs for street use in a 327 could prove challenging as the market is mostly focused on 350 and bigger motors.

These are quite different from building something with a longer stroke. If you went with a cam that is suitable for a stroker or a 400 you would end up with a guttless pig until it hit 4-5000 RPM's. So take extra care when picking your intake and cam, and give 'er a good set of heads. That is my advice, and otherwise they go like he!!.. Oh, and carburetors on the smallish side (600-700 cfm's) are quite suitable.

Have fun..

Last edited by 65smallblock; 08-31-2010 at 12:16 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.