how to build a paintbooth - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2005, 07:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

how to build a paintbooth

my dad has an old barn on his property that we are thinking making into a paint booth, what are the materials that i need and how do i build a paint booth

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2005, 07:27 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

moving to garage forum.

Budget RVs
Old 12-10-2005, 05:01 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingj
my dad has an old barn on his property that we are thinking making into a paint booth, what are the materials that i need and how do i build a paint booth
That depends on what you are looking for. Homemade paintbooths are made of most anything. As long as it gives an appearance of being closed off from everything else.

I remember in my insurance adjusting days when I went to a body shop that was actually in a barn. They had dirt floors in the "body work" area, and gravel in the "paint room". Their "paint room" consisted of just a separate room, complete with a "barn door" that you could see thru the slats, and an exhaust fan. Of course they had plenty of lights.

I know of another guy that made wooden swinging doors for his garage, and put in places for filters. The filter areas had doors on them, so he could close them off, and they looked normal. He had a large exhaust fan in the rear of the garage. The inside was finished off, I believe with drywall, and painted white.

Basically what you need is something for the walls and ceiling to seal it off from everything else, to prevent overspray and reduce dust in the paint. You need a ventilation system of some sort to remove the fumes and overspray and replace it with fresh air, preferrably filtered both ways. It is best if you can bring in the air from high, and out from low. You will need plenty of lights. If you think you have more than enough light, double that 4 times. If you don't need sunglasses, it isn't bright enough! There are alot of things that you can do in the dark, or with shadows. Painting isn't one of them! You will also need to be able to control the temperature in some way. Professional paint booths have heaters that will "bake" the finish. You really don't need that, but do need to be able to keep it warm enough for the surface and paint to be comfortable.

For the fans, they do make explosion proof ones. I uderstand that they are kind of pricey. What I have used for exhaust fans, and I am not an expert on fans, so do so at your own risk, is use old furnace fans. There are ones that have belt drive blowers. Since the fan draws air in the sides, you can make a shield that closes off the side with the belt and motor. I use the other side for the air intake, making an adaptor to connect to the vent. I use air return filter vents that accept filters to catch the overspray. I like to use the finer filters, for catching the alergy dusts, as they let the least thru them. I also have found that using the re-useable filters as a pre-filter helps. I actually tried spraying the pre-filters with "Pam"(the stuff from the kitchen for spraying pans with) to kep the paint from sticking to them. That way you can re-use them. That worked fine for me, as the air was not being drawn back into the booth. The intake filters are just the run of the mill air filters.

Just some suggestions.

Aaron
Old 12-10-2005, 12:24 PM

http://www.2manitowoc.com/paintroom.html
Old 12-10-2005, 04:01 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingj
Clean and dry..Well ventilated I would think using an old forced air furnace blowing in to the booth that is filtered and having some filters on the exhaust vents would be fine..

Main thing is keeping the critters and dirt from getting the fresh paint..Warm in the winter now that is another story..??

Lighting..there are some special bulbs and tubes that give better color rendition..cost more that regular bulbs tho..

Do a google search on "paint booth" and there are lot of folks that make those and the price is not all that bad if comparing labor and materials to build your own..

OMT
Old 12-11-2005, 09:45 PM

how to biuld a paintbooth

thanks a lot for the information
Old 12-12-2005, 05:36 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

flat white and plenty of lights. i use metal studs and 1/2 sheetrock. i'm on the farm so theres no restrictions. my doors ar solid filters down to 2 ft from the floor. exhaust is outside.
the side lights are true light bulbs. the one above the bench has reg bulbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	paint booth.jpg
Views:	1241
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	8288  

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.