How can I bend Lexon - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2004, 07:41 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Lightbulb How can I bend Lexon

I'm ready to construct a Windshild on my roadster. I would like to use 1/4 inch Lexon or Lexite. This is sold at my local Menards with claims its 100 times stronger than glass. My problem is how to bend this stuff. I plan to run a V'd windshield with just the bend in the middle,no frame or glue. I also thought I would not run a frame on top. I guess I need advise on bending it without scratching or messing up the center. Thanks for any ideas or advise.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2004, 08:03 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I am not sure if there is a good way to bend lexan. Plexiglass is easy, but it is crappy at everything else.....like durability. I am not sure if lexan is a thermplastic or a thermoset, but if it is the first there is no way to heat and bend it. I have tryed heating lexan with a torch for bending and it seems to start to bubble and take on contaminants when it gets hot enough to bend even if it is heated slowly. This makes me think that it might be formable with a good heat gun or other clean heat source where you could control heat. Obviously a torch is not a good choice, but I was just playing around.

I know this rambling does not help too much. I would just try a small piece with a heat gun and see what happens. If it works, you just have to devise a way to clamp it down and get a nice straight bend.
Old 07-25-2004, 01:04 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

If you know someone around your area that has a press brake (larger sheetmetal brake) you can bend the Lexan with no damage to it. Lexan is super tough and almost indestructible. One big thing to remember is that if it is used for a windshield it will scratch. There is no way around it. Period. It is plastic. Do not wipe any dust off but use water to rinse it off first then use a very soft cloth to wipe it dry. Any off the shelf paper towels will eventually scratch it. During the day it will not be so noticible but at night when a headlight will hit it you will see nothing but swirls after a period of use. I don't know if you could go to place where they make eyeglasses and see if you can get some of the scratch resistant coating that they put on the plastic eyeglasses. I'm not sure how that is applied.

Kevin
Old 07-25-2004, 01:07 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

I beleive you can buff Lexan.
Old 07-25-2004, 01:16 PM
Just one of the guys

Last photo:

Lexan can be buffed but it will never have the optical clarity as glass or as when it was new. Any dust in the air will stick to the lexan just as in a glass windshield but when it is wiped will put very minute scratches into it. Just look thru a motorcycle windshield at night and you will see what I mean. Also any bug splatter should be wiped off immediately (large bug splatters) and not allowed to cook on the windshield in the summer heat. Don't get me wrong...I'm not trying to say DO NOT use Lexan. Many people have. It just takes a lot more care than a glass windshield.

Kevin
Old 07-25-2004, 01:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:

I really dont think that you can just bend lexan in a brake, but I could be wrong. I have tryed to cold bend a small piece and it would not even budge. I am willing to bet that 1/4 inch will not hear of it at all. 1/8 inch .....maybe. I can even explain how tough that stuff is unless you have messed with it.

As for the scratching that is no crap. I have lexan in the rear of my S-10 and just lightly wiping off dust scratches it. I am thinking that a hand glaze or something might remove the scratching.

chris
Old 07-25-2004, 01:20 PM
Just one of the guys

Last photo:

Lexan will bend in a brake. But I am talking about a larger hydraulic brake with the proper punch and dies. A brake will bend metal, it will bend plastic. It takes a little more to work with though because it has somewhat of a memory. You have to overform it so it will come back to the angle that you need.
Old 07-25-2004, 02:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Cool. I just thought that lexan might have to much memory to get a clean bend without some heat. You learn something every day.

Chris

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.