Hot Rod Forum banner

How can I get a stain off my header?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  rcrfly 
#1 ·
I was wiping the chrome off on my hot engine and my rag dropped onto my jet hot coated ceramic header tube and melted it. I pulled the cloth away immediately but it burned some of the rag and it stuck to the pipe. Any ideas on the best way to remove the stain without scratching the pipe? Thanks

#2 ·
can you feel it, like barbecued rag? first thought would be lacquer thinner elbow grease (properly applied not over done) and a rag . Is it a stain? second choice would be chrome polish I suggest chrome polish instead of paint polish because the grit is a little courser then the paint polish. I have polished jet coat before and it is tougher then you may think. I have used a buffer wheel on a drill and chrome/jewelers polish to brighten up areas that were dulling up close to the exhaust ports next to the head, The cautious approach....would be to contact a jet coater, or a headman header company type and see what they would suggest. I am betting you are not the first to have done this
good luck

#5 ·
How Can I Get The Stain Off My Header

Like Henry Highrise I was told by a rodder who has a jet coat buddy that to clean "stuff" off your jet coat use Wenol and 000 steel wool and very lightly
work the stain until it disappears. The whole idea is to remove the stain withoug removing the coating. Time and a light touch I believe is the real key. Wenol, or any very high quality metal cleaner should work if you use the right touch. Good Luck :pimp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.