how can i get traction - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2005, 01:24 PM
im the guy you lost to.

Wiki Edits: 0

how can i get traction

hey guys, i have a 1986 chevrolet c-10. its powered by a 305 with a crane powermax cam kit with 208*/214* duration, edelbrock performer intake, and performer 750cfm carb. i have a b&m holeshot 1,900-2,000 rpm coverter, a built 350th with stage 3 powerbands, all steel cluthces, solid servo(spins through 1 and 2, barks 3rd gear). i kept the stock gears which i believe are 3:72s. this truck produces a tremendous amount of torque throughout the rpm range and with the truck being lwb, it has very little traction. i have broken transmission crossmember bolts with this transmission, and 2 sets of traction bars. nothing seems to be able to withstand the hard shifting transmission. with this infornmation, can someone please tell me how i can get my truck to hook up? its a daily driver also. i am rather pleased with the performance of the truck, but i just gotta stop breaking traction. thanks in advance guys, im just dont know what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2005, 01:33 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Duh!!! Lighten up the right foot.
Sure would like to get my hands on all that awesome power from a 305!!

Trees
Old 01-29-2005, 01:36 PM

Last photo:

That, or put a VW sedan in the bed..
Old 01-29-2005, 01:41 PM
im the guy you lost to.

letting out is not an option.lol... would adding weight to the rear help? i thihk the fact that its so long is the reason it spins so much, the "awesome power" is just under 300 horses. not really all that much power. got another suggestion?
Old 01-29-2005, 01:59 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

Make sure all your motor mounts are tigh,transmission crossmember and monunt are tight.You can install anti hop bars on the lower edge of the springs,Are the spring shackles and bushings wore out? That seems like it may be a big possibility,as there are plenty of those trucks out there with Large power 350 and even some big blocks that are not having troubles such as yours. I would inspect your springs and shackles,replace the bushings and maku sure the u-bolts are tight and have not slipped,
Old 01-29-2005, 01:59 PM
Cleverly disguised as grownup

Last journal entry: Hollman & Moody
Last photo:

Posi, solft tires, 4 link, fuel cell and battery in truck bed. What if any of these have you tried?
Old 01-29-2005, 02:07 PM
im the guy you lost to.

the leaf springs are weak, but all the bushings and mounts have been replaced. ive mounted the battery out back, but no 4-link. i have semi-soft tires, but ive just ordered some BFGoodrich T/A drag radials(275/50-R15) out of summit, they arent here yet though. the posi-trac.... a friend of mine has a set of 3:08 posi i can get from him, what will that gear change from a 3:72 to a 3:08 do for my milage and times? im on a tight budget, would rail-road irons out back help?
Old 01-29-2005, 02:29 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

While weak springs may not be the whole to the problem,they definently contribute to the proble.When you take off,everything is "soaked" up into your suspension,You do not have posi,so your r/t wheel is bitting,creating lift,two opposite forces working against each other,causing a ripple effect in your springs. If you are off too much it will cause things to break.New leaf springs are not too awful expensive and relatively easy to replace,especially if a few buds help you remove the bed to do the job.Contact a sho pthat repairs diesels,like an independant shop,some places can even make them to order for you. I replaced the ones under my 2nd gen Camaro I used to own,it only cost me about $65.00 for the set. I do not think I got a deal on them but I may have,since I was in there every day for truck and trailer springs.Now those get heavy and hard to put in at times!!!!!!

Last edited by RCastle; 01-30-2005 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:57 AM

Last photo:

Yup, pick ups are to light in the rear, need to transfer weight front to rear faster and more when you launch

el cheapo soft do nothing shocks on the front
add a 1/2"-1" of washers to the D side sway bar link, preloads the R rear
bag of sand R rear
raise the front (rubber spring blocks?)
lower the rear (blocks? clamp the springs?)

Consider all the above as a "tuning" kit that you can swap and change and test to help find what will be the best parts to buy (drag shocks, springs, etc)

? Not sure I agree with RCastle, may need more "squat" in the rear, even softer springs= more weight transfer, "playing" with the tuning kit above will tell you, try stiffening the rear also

Just think about this, it is funny to watch a stock pick up TRY to pull out a boat on a wet ramp or TRY to start to move on ice

Last edited by red65mustang; 01-30-2005 at 06:03 AM.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:38 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Put a load of bricks in the back.......................that's what a truck is for, it's NOT a race car.

BTW, yours must be one special 305. Most will hardly turn the tires................
Old 01-30-2005, 09:02 AM

Cal-Trac bars

Calvert racing sells traction bars that work really good CE has copy cat style called slide a link or something like that.Give em a try.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:22 AM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally posted by poncho62
Put a load of bricks in the back.......................that's what a truck is for, it's NOT a race car.

BTW, yours must be one special 305. Most will hardly turn the tires................
I agree with poncho, adding a little weight in the back is the cheapest and easiest way. I have the same truck as you and it makes a huge difference on traction with a little weight in the bed.

Also, my old 305 could turn the tires pretty good, if it was uphill and raining with almost bald tires, but if it was dry and level, it could sometimes give a little bark.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:52 AM
im the guy you lost to.

thanks for all the help guys. i know its crazy to have a 305 doing this, but its true, every bit of it. when it brokethe tranny crosmember bolts, i didnt believe it myself, but, when you have to pick up the peices yourself, you have to believe it... like i say, the transmission has a lot of money in it, i mean a lot. i dont think its the motor as much as it is the transmission. its already lowered 3 inches in the back and 4 in the front, i know thats not helping. would bigger wheels? and tires help? i was thinking 17's. im putting a piece of railroad iron out back when i get her running again... have a fuel line malfunction now. this iron should add about 100 lbs. to the rear, and im putting it at the very back right behind the bumper, i figure the farther back the better.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:16 AM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

I don't know why you are breaking trans mounts etc.

Did you run solid motor mounts?
Old 01-30-2005, 11:20 AM
im the guy you lost to.

no, no solid mounts, like i say, this is a daily driver. when it does grab traction, itll slam your head against the back glass, and youll say bad words. all i know is tires are getting expensive and i have a headache.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.