Hot Rod Forum banner

How can I lay this clear without getting overspray? Pic

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  pro70z28 
#1 · (Edited)
2 coats of clear there. Each time i spray a panel it looks good and shiny, but when I start another panel, overspray makes it look like crap. Can anyone explain a technique on how can I avoid overspray on panels so I can avoid lots of sanding after the final coat? I attempted to lay it on thicker but ended up with runs and probably trapped solvents, so I will sand with 600 and let it breathe in the garage

I'm using a Sharpe Platinum gun and pressure set at 45. If I set it any lower, the pattern almost splatters. The clear is Painters pride mixed at 4:1

Would adding thinner make it flow better?

Thanks guys!

#2 ·
I spray the top first. Then the hood. Then the full length of the car, not just panel by panel. Then I start at the crown of the opposite fender and spray the other full side. then the back. ............. and I don't waste any time doing it. Start with a full cup so you don't have to stop to fill half way through. I also spray more then 1 coat at a time if I'm getting any dry overlap so the first coat will help melt the over-spray from the second coat. Just have to be careful to not get too much wet paint at one time = sags, runs.
Everybody has their own method but this works for me. Sprayed conversion vans in a custom shop for years that way with excellent results.

You have to have overlap someplace unless you have more than 1 person spraying, so it's best to make those overlaps in the least conspicuous places like where the fender rolls over the side or a corner, etc.

#3 ·
I usually divide the car into three major sections when applying clear front clip, doors and roof, and quarters and decklid-- I go up and over with the clear and change sides to start the next section so the clear doesn't setup enough to not allow the next application to melt in-if this makes sense. Also change your start and stop location on each coat. There's many ways to do this- one side, then the horizontal panels, then down the other side will work also. But if you're only spraying a few panels and having problems with overspray not melting in then your clear is just locking up too fast. Try a slower hardener. I'm not familiar with the clear you are using-is it spec'd for the temps you are spraying in? Bob

#4 ·
You can reduce it with the proper reducer but usually not more than 10%.
Good ventilation will help also because IF you aren't moving much air,the heavy fog will make things worse.
When you "end" a line,release the trigger to just air as you exit off the panel and flip the gun outward,then come back with the next pass. That will help blow some of it away too.
Worst places are when you change from down to sideways like a fender or quarter so don't stop with the top,keep going down.

#5 ·
Thanks for the great tips guys. Yeah I think that is my problem, i'm stopping too much without a game plan of what to hit. For example I would first hit half of the roof, then half the hood, then the side of the car, and then the rear. Load up the gun, wait a few, then hit the other side. Now that you guys mentioned that it makes more sense.

I'm using a medium reducer, and it sets up pretty fast.
The gun i'm using is HVLP and the room really isn't getting foggy when I spray, but I will try that shooting of air as I finish the line, that's a great tip. I have to wait till the weekend to hit it again, and now I can't wait!! You guys don't know how frustrating this was for me. I know now what i'm doing wrong, I bow down to you guys!!

I will let you guys know how it goes on saturday. Thanks for all of your help!

#6 ·
I took you guys advice and the advice from another member and it came out looking great. Hardly any overspray. I did the top, hood, rear, then sides. I mixed up 2 cups so i wouldn't have to wait and it all blended in very nicelly.
Thanks for your help guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.