Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How can I make carbon fiber
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2004, 11:47 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Well... air dry is the wrong wording... Yes it cures at room temp (or lower...) since you are using the same resin as for normal fiberglass... but the resin used cures by chemical reaction (thats why it produces heat).

Oh and a tip that I forgot to mention is if you are planning on doing any perfectly flat panels, you can just use a sheet of glass for your mould.

Vacume bagging wouldn't hurt, but you don't strictly need to do this. It would make sure there are no bubbles (or help, most of that is up to you when you are laying it...) but other than that it is not nessesary. Treat the carbon fiber as you would fiberglass essentially... and you WILL need to back the CF with fiberglass or kevlar at least a couple layers, since it would break if it is not reinforced. YOu could use CF, but it is not nessesary, and frankly quite expensive.

Oh and FYI, you can get fiberglass (strand/mat/weave), CF, and Kevlar from Http://www.aircraftspruce.com

Others have done it without a mould... but because you want to have the CF patern on your stuff, you CAN NOT sand it at all, it would sand through the CF layer, and then destroy the weave patern. so I think that A female rather than a male mould would be the only way to go about this.

Note that I am in no way a composite expert... Just saw you were getting no insight what so ever, so I thought I would chime in.. Most of my "knowledge" comes from doing lots of research into moulding some custom pannels for cars... I just ended up with a good solid car, so that wasn't needed. Though I am considering taking a mould of the fenders once they are nice and straight.

HTH

Matt Watson