Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - how can i make a water heater into a a.c. tank?
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2003, 07:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I had a friend that was a painter and he had problems with water and trying to paint... So I came up with an idea to use a condensor from an older Chevy truck (78-79 or so...?) I used compression fittings to pipe in the air from the compressor which was an uprigt 80 gal w/6-hp 2 stage (175psi)... I mounted it to the wall of the garage on a shelf but behind it I placed a simple 20" box fan ($20 from Wal-Mart) and piped it down to a good water seperator which held about 1 pint of water when full... The thing worked so good it would fill the seperator in just a days use... We tested it with an air nozzle at full blast and never got any moisture ever... For some reason his paint work got alot better too...

A note about upping the capacity of your compressor... If you over do the tank size you`ll work the pump to the point of overheating and failing... Pumps are designed for a certain amount of storage in cubic ft... The are also designed around a certain amount of run time at a given speed... So if you need more volume either get a bigger compressor w/tank or dont go over double your presant volume...