How can I prevent Engine Heat into passenger area? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2005, 12:16 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How can I prevent Engine Heat into passenger area?

HeyYa'll, This is my first post, and I'm thinking about buying a '31 Ford Model A Street Rod. Many years ago, I had a 1928 Studebaker Touring Sedan that was original, and the ENGINE HEAT coming into the car was sooooo HOT that you would sweat in the wintertime! Now that I'm back into the mindset of getting back 'into' cars, I would like to know if there is a way to prevent the engine heat from frying me, especially during the HOT HOT North Carolina summer days. Also, I've looked at several other STreet Rods, some do NOT have heat or AC; is that an hard/expensive addition? Right now, I'm just about finished restoring a 1992 1/2 Limited Ed./Special Ed. 5.0L Mustang Convertible. She is a sweet 'fox,' but I've got the Street Rod FEVER!!! Any help would certainly be appreciated, and I'm so happy I found this forum.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2005, 12:24 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Good floor insulation.........and lots of air through the engine compartment, to get that hot air out.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
Good floor insulation.........and lots of air through the engine compartment, to get that hot air out.
And don't forget the firewall to insulate.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:56 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

You can buy the heat insulation in sheets and cut it to fit. Also use header wrap on the headers, keeping heat in the headers keeps it out of the engine compartment.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:19 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

As far as the insulation part is concerned one can go to a HVAC contractor and get some "duct board" this is a fiberglass material with aluminum foil on one side used to make heating ducts..it is rigid and provides a good insulation..cutit to fit the interior side of the firewall and floor boards..should help some..

A/C Vintage air makes a good setup for street rods if you choose to go that way..

OMT
Old 08-08-2005, 07:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I too have a 1931 Ford Model A that I will soon start working on. My plan is to use a SBC LT1 engine. I will be insulating the fire wall from the inside to cut down on engine heat transfer. Good air flow is another way to help this problem. Are you going to run the full hood and sides?

Steve
Old 08-08-2005, 08:27 PM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

One key is to keep the fold-out windshield. Henry Ford was quite the smart dude and he did this to the windshield for a reason. Also on a stock Model A the dash rail had what they called a ventilator. Basically this allowed air coming in thru the fold-out windshield to be forced down the back of the dash rail toward your legs.

If you can keep these two features and insulate the firewall and floor, you should be able to keep your cool.

I have a Model A Sedan, running a SBC & Block Hugger Headers. Not only is the fold-out windshield functional, but it looks way cool on a chopped car!
Old 08-11-2005, 08:49 PM
Jacks 1977 Corvette

Last photo:

Why not just block the heater flow from the manifold with a shut off valve on the hose?
Old 08-14-2005, 06:59 AM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

Heater........ Who puts heaters in Hot Rods?
Old 08-15-2005, 01:07 AM

If you live in Holland, or England. Than you would definitely want an heater.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:05 AM
Beats pickin' cotton

Last photo:

I bought some insulation stuff from Summit and it made a big difference. I didn't get the top of the line stuff and it still made a big difference. I can only imagine if I stepped up for some of the better stuff how much more it would block out. I used to get alot of hot air transfer up from my floor boards and when I installed new carpet, I added the insulation along with it and it did make a difference. Grab a Summit catalog and check it out.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:19 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Heck, go to Lowe's and buy a roll of foil/bubble wrap insulation. I forget what it's called, but it's relatively cheap, light weight, and works great. Looks just like the small bubble bubble wrap with aluminum foil on both sides (might be reflective mylar). I put it in the roof and doors of my car as well as BOTH sides of the firewall. Use aluminum foil tape for seams, spray on contact adhesive to stick on metal. It lasts under the hood and doesn't look bad either. Mine is a 63 Rambler wagon, you can see a pic of the insulation on the firewall in my album.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:17 AM

Last photo:

Lying Sorry Coward!!!!!

Thanks for the replies. I never thought about using that foil/bubble wrap from Lowes, and its cheap too. It would probably help with noise too. My only problem now is: The $%^&*! man that agreed ('word/email' agreement) sold the 38 Chevy Coupe out from under me. I had already gone to the bank and had a Cashiers Check cut made out to him, and had already set-up a delivery truck, insurance, DMV, etc. and was waiting here all day yesterday for my Coupe to be delivered. It was not until late yesterday afternoon that I received a one line email from him that said, 'sorry, sold it to a man from Houston, TX for $3,000.00 more.' What a sorry, lying coward he is! Now my 'dream' car is a nightmare. I have posted a pic of 'Ruby' (I had already named her) so ya'll be on the look out for this car in the Houston, TX area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 001.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	6488  

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.