Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How can I reproduce opposite side in fiberglass body of a 67 Cobra Roadster????
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 08:09 AM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicocan
Thanks again to all, here are some pictures of the the body.
With the body off the car as you have it, the first thing I would do is make a jig on a dolly. Some of the support structure could be wood but I would make the basic frame from steel and work on getting the body true. You may even wish to make the wheels removable because moving it could change the alignment. You could sit it in a place to work on, get it in alignment with the wheels off, then you could put the wheels back on if you need to move it around.

I know some one who made the exact repair you are on a Cobra doing the exact same thing. Since the body is off the car and you will be evidently painting the whole thing which helps.

With the body on a stand, fully aligned, the next thing I would do is sand the right side of the car and spray some grey non fill primer; not a heavy coat, but a light even coat. This allows you to make marks, or a grid to copy from.

A laser is great for making a grid on a car which can be marked out. With a grid you break it into section by section. I have a skid load of poster board for this.

Since you are only making one it would not be necessary to copy this into a computer but drawing programs such as Corel draw make it real easy to copy in form dimensions so they can be smoothed, printed out and duplicated. That is awesome if things are not a 100% right the first time.

I had mentioned balsa wood before but blue insulation foam is great for shaping. This (and the thickness of each section divider) would also determine the distance the sections are divided up into. You should just have enough room to insert the foam, carve it down and then sand it.

Sand foam with coarse sand paper to get basic shape. Fine sand paper does not shape well.

If I were doing it, that is the direction I would go.