How can I reproduce opposite side in fiberglass body of a 67 Cobra Roadster???? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2010, 07:01 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,184 Times in 1,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gow589
This is a much simpler part (Carbon fiber intake duct) but it is all I can whip up before I go. It's give you some ideas:

VERY cool stuff there. Nice example of what can be done with simple tools at home.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2010, 07:16 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Break it down section by section reverse it with contour gauges. It ain't rocket science.

I am no fiberglass expert but I used to do a lot of repairs for the RV shop that was next to my body shop. Like I said, I am no expert but I made parts from scratch all the time, well most of the time it was simply "parts of parts".

But you could even make a buck from wood and foam and bondo. Create that buck right on (well actually, under) the body where the missing part goes. Polyester prime it and sand it smooth. Lay cloth/resin over the top of buck and onto the edges of the body where the part had been broken off of and after it cures sand it smooth and apply polyester primer over that and sand it smooth then remove the buck out from the underside and wham, you have a new part.

I agree that buying a new part would be a heck of a lot easier but I did this exact thing a few times when the part simply wasn't available.

Chicocan, I would spend a good amount of time searching out the manufacturer of that body or similar bodies and see what it would cost to get the parts you need. Sometimes we are pleasantly surprised at how cheap it may be. The materials to make the moulds and or bucks AND then make the part can cost quite a bit and simply buying the part may be cheaper.

I would look into it before jumping into this. There have been more than once in my life when I thought I was out of luck and went another route only to find that the stuff was available for MUCH cheaper than I had done. I can give you a number of examples on my Rambler right now! Thought these parts were impossible and bought them on the net only to find out they were available at my local parts store (IN STOCK) for less!

So do some research.

Brian
Old 09-03-2010, 07:48 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

dont waste time on streetbeast. you will never see the part. there are dozens of mfg out there and the parts are going to be very close and much cheaper. i have ordered parts many times for glass cars. just tell them what the damage is and they will make a part that can be trimmed to you fit.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:57 AM

Last photo:

Shine, I hadn't caught that this was a Streetbeast, that changes things. He is likely going to have to build these parts. I don't know anything about the Streetbeast "Cobra" but if it were one of their "34 Ford" looking bodies there is no friggin way another companies part is going to work! The mould for these bodies weren't pulled from the real thing! Or at least not the real thing as we know it. The original bodies were modified to make the mould simpler. If the "Cobra" is anything like the other bodies I have seen from Streetbeasts, no other body is going to work. You basically have a "one off" at this point and have to create your parts.

Brian
Old 09-03-2010, 07:59 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Cool post, What happened to the old stuff ??? Many times I've repaired glass by reusing all the pieces...some pics would be a big help...
Old 09-03-2010, 08:07 AM

Last photo:

You can get awful creative when you are forced to!
I remember doing an RV once where the fender was ripped from the body, gone. It was no longer available and I had to make one. I noticed that the one on the other side could be swapped over and only need a little modification. This fender was ABS plastic and I used it for the mould! I waxed the inside of the fender and sprayed a gel coat and laid up the other fender inside of the that one.

I pulled it from the "mould", made the little modification and bolted it on the body. It was about a quarter inch smaller, but who was to notice?

Brian
Old 09-03-2010, 08:21 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Yup, you can only see one side at a time...At least its not metal...makes things a lot easier..
Old 09-03-2010, 08:23 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

trust me , streetbeast did not do a mock up. they simply bought a body and pulled a mold as did just about all of them. it would be much simpler to do a little fit work than to build molds and parts. but then again i do this for a living and not a hobby. i would be insane to spend the time making a part i could pick up in a couple of weeks right here in texas. a lone star part would be a good start.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:28 AM

Last photo:

Shine, have you ever put a fender or door or hood or grille from a Streetbeast "34 Ford" on another body or vise-versa?

Brian
Old 09-03-2010, 08:42 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

the reason the 34 is different is that streetbeast is an old kit car mfg. one piece bodies . no one else makes them so they had to tool up for it. but the cobra is just too common to do the tooling. i'm sure it is made with cheap resins and lacks some of the inner strength but i doubt they are a unique body.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:31 AM

Last photo:

I don't build Street beast "Cobras" (or any other Street Beast cars) "for a living" or even as a hobby. But I do know that the company as a whole is NOT your typical "reproduction" auto parts or cars company. It's ONE goal was to make money. And being EVERY SINGLE PART OF EVERY SINGLE STREETBEAST I have ever seen is TOTALLY differerent and "odd" to say the least (have you seen their frames? ) I would have to say that the "Cobra" body may be "similar" but it is by no means an exact copy of ANY car ever made.

Here is a Street Beasts "Cobra".

And here is another one, even these too look like they have different flares on the back.

Here is another, don't know the manufacturer.

Here is another...

And another....

Notice they are all different? Now, I "doubt" I would be so stupid to change the design being there are plenty out there to pull a mould. It would be much "simpler" to do it that way, but Street Beast has proven they don't do anything "simple" (Have you seen their frames? ).

Nope, if I am going to assume that just like EVERYTHING else they make (have you tried to put a tilt front end from their "Willys" on a real Willys?) the body would be different in some way. And I don't mean simply a different flare, I mean a TOTALLY different shape. And unless you used a profile guage and spent a bunch of time you would never know! Not until you are trying to mate up the parts you just cut up of course. Then you could find that the fender has a half inch higher crown in it or something.

Nope, unless it was a streetbeasts part I wouldn't guess that another manufacturer would be the same.

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 09-03-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

It can be done in an even easier fashion. We have in the past used blocks of florist's foam hot glued to the inner structure. This foam can be shaped with a cheese grater (surform file) to just below the proper contour, then finished with filler and primer to create a plug. This will get mold release applied before glassing to create a mold for the part you wish to create.

Of course the "devil is in the details," but with a little care you can come up with something that will work.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necoo
Making fiberglass molds of shapes is not hard. It is a matter of mocking up section by section in reverse mold from say wood, covering it with fiberglass, making it as smooth as the car then pulling a mold out. 100's of books and web sites on the how too.

I make my own contour gauges for this sort of thing. Cad or Corel draw is handy for making templates.

If this seems over your head then it probably is. If you can visualize what I am saying then look at how others are doing it, you come up with a plan of action,...

It's not that hard but very time consuming. If you can buy another quarter panel it is an easier alternative.

Thanks you for the post.

Last edited by OneMoreTime; 09-08-2010 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Advertising. Please see: commercial posting guidelines.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:14 PM

Last photo:

Thanks again to all, here are some pictures of the the body.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cobra-RearDamage-A.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	792.0 KB
ID:	48006   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cobra-Rightside-A.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	48007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cobra_DoorOutside-A.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	649.5 KB
ID:	48008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cobra_DOORINSIDE-A.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	48009  
Old 09-12-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
This is a much simpler part (Carbon fiber intake duct) but it is all I can whip up before I go. It's give you some ideas:

Thanks for the picture

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.