How can I reproduce opposite side in fiberglass body of a 67 Cobra Roadster???? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2010, 12:11 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How can I reproduce opposite side in fiberglass body of a 67 Cobra Roadster????

Is there some info about "How to replicate" the opposite side of a car body? my 67 Cobra is damaged (missing) the rear fender, drivers side and the driver's door, I did some work with fiberglass 40 years ago and I want to restore this one. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2010, 12:24 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

the metal working guys do that on a regular basis..go to metalmeet.com and look at the sections on templates..what you are going to need to do is a lot of work as you need to recreate the buck then pull a mold and then make the parts..

sam
Old 08-27-2010, 07:16 AM

You might be better off contacting some of the manufactures of the "kit cars"...Maybe they could make the body parts you need...I would think with the economy the way it is they have some idle time on their hands..
As onemoretime stated, it is a lot of work building molds to replicate just a couple of one off parts..

Dan
Old 08-27-2010, 08:03 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

That is a lot of surface area to re-create, I would agree with those who recommend panel replacement from repro vendors. But, if you really like a challenge, and have much time on your hands,I can begin to detail the process. expect a couple hundred hours work.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:05 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

unless you have another body to pull a mold from you cant. find a body mfg and buy the parts. only way. you cant put a pass qrt on the drivers side.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:15 AM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

Making fiberglass molds of shapes is not hard. It is a matter of mocking up section by section in reverse mold from say wood, covering it with fiberglass, making it as smooth as the car then pulling a mold out. 100's of books and web sites on the how too.

I make my own contour gauges for this sort of thing. Cad or Corel draw is handy for making templates.

If this seems over your head then it probably is. If you can visualize what I am saying then look at how others are doing it, you come up with a plan of action,...

It's not that hard but very time consuming. If you can buy another quarter panel it is an easier alternative.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:58 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

please explain how a mold taken from the pass side of a body can make a part for the drivers side ??????
Old 08-28-2010, 07:00 AM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

Break it down section by section reverse it with contour gauges. It ain't rocket science.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:58 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

you have to remember most of these guys are working in 2 car garages with limited space, tools , time and experience . there will be a name on the body somewhere and they will gladly make the repair parts for you . quick , easy and most likely less expensive than trying to build molds.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:48 AM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

Of course and I said so. But that was not his question and I am not going to tell him what to do.

We wouldn't have a board like this if people were not taking projects on their own and learning how to do things.

If I wanted everything to be easy I would have bought a corvette, I would buy my glitter parts at autozone, spend my Saturdays and Sundays at reading the newspaper or playing golf.

I personally have learned more then I could have from any educational institution by taking on projects such as this on my own. Some times I succeed, some times I don't.

If I had a dollar for doing something people told me I should not or could not do I would have to file tax returns for that income.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gow589
Break it down section by section reverse it with contour gauges. It ain't rocket science.
Thanks to all, I think that if I could find something like those miniature contour tools that copy complicated shapes in a larger size that might do the trick, inch by inch I should be able to reconstruct the missing side of the body and then make a mold. I did try to find parts from the manufacture, but they did not bother answering (Streets Beast)
Old 09-03-2010, 04:12 AM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicocan
Thanks to all, I think that if I could find something like those miniature contour tools that copy complicated shapes in a larger size that might do the trick, inch by inch I should be able to reconstruct the missing side of the body and then make a mold. I did try to find parts from the manufacture, but they did not bother answering (Streets Beast)
I'll be gone today. I can help. Send me a PM but it may be late tonight or tomorrow before I get back to you.

When I do this sort of thing, I use something like 3/16 light plywood to set up sections cut on a band saw. I space it with balsa glued in between and sand the balsa to the ply. Then the mock is fiberglassed, then finished to perfection.

That's a simplistic explanation but it will get your wheels rolling.

You can use a laser to mark off sections to measure.

I can also help you make a contour gauge that will be a bit more useful then what you would buy.

I can help if you want to convert it into a drawing program section by section such as Corel. This is nice because once entered it is all repeatable again.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:37 AM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

Sorry for the multiple post. This web site was freezing up and it did not show it posted.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:52 AM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

This is a much simpler part (Carbon fiber intake duct) but it is all I can whip up before I go. It's give you some ideas:

Old 09-03-2010, 06:18 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

In doing a project such as this it is helpful to understand the concept of stations, waterlines and halfbreadths. A station is a verticle slice through the car from side to side. A waterline is a horizontal slice through the car at some point end to end of the car. Half breadths are vertical slices through the car end to end. Understanding this allows the builder to accurately locate any part of the car or in the car. We start by locating station zero at some arbitrary point in front of the car and then laying out station lines at points down the length of the car..the more stations that we have the more accurate we can make the part. waterline zero is at some arbitrary point when making a original drawing..when doing take off of lines the floor is convenient for locating waterline zero.

So in knowing about this we strike a line on the floor at the center of the car and then lines parallel that establish the half breadths. then we mark out where our stations are going to be located. At each station I would use thin plywood and scribe the station to fit the car body then mark it by writing on it the position it occupies on the grind we drew. it is conventinal to identify stations by the distance in inches from station zero so if the template is marked station 208.5 it means that station is 208.5 inches from station zero and so forth. we also mark the waterlines so the templates or forms if you wish to call them that can be accurately erected to make our mold.

Sorry bout the essay but it is actually not all that hard to do..just time consuming..

Sam

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.