Hot Rod Forum banner

How can I tell if the transmission has been rebuilt

18K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  SSedan64 
#1 ·
Hi,

I pulled the trany and engine yesterday. My plan is to rebuild most of the engine myself, but send the trany to a shop to get it done. The trany is
an E4OD. The vehicle has 165K.
After pulling it, I saw there was a very new looking, rebuilt torque converter in there, has markings to show it is a remanufactured unit. I have no way of knowing if the unit has been recently rebuilt. There was very little gray build up in the pan and the fluid looked and smelled good.

This is my question:

How can I tell if it has been rebuilt.

#2 ·
Too late to edit and I think I left out some important details.

I never drove the truck, so I don't know how the trany shifted.
Trany is covered in oil from a leaking rear main, or oil pan.
So it is not a brand new rebuild.

What can I check or measure to determine wear and possible life left till the next rebuild. Since it is out, I can get it rebuilt for less than $1,000. But that is money I wouldn't mind keeping in my pocket.
I do realize I can put it back in as is and then see, but like I said, it is out now and replicating work is a little annoying.

Thanks

#4 ·
You made a very good point, one that I had over looked. It has a new torque converter, but the pan gasket looks to be old and brittle.

Is it possible, the converter could have been replaced without draining the pan?

Also, I just took the heads off and found:

2 exhaust manifold bolts missing and 1 broken in the head
2 bent push rods
Engine's been running on 5 cylinders (it's a Ford 460)
Broken timing chain cover
Cross threaded spark plug

That's just the top end. I haven't looked inside yet.

I hope the same person that took care of it last time did not also "rebuild" the trany.
So with that said.........The trany is going in for a rebuild.

Thanks

#7 ·
I checked the pan. It actually looked pretty good. Very fine layer of gray sediment. Outside of trany is covered in oil and dirt. This is what makes me think that just the TC was replaced and not a total rebuild. I would assume the outside would have been a lot cleaner if it was a total rebuild. I'll also try and find a trust worthy shop. But who wouldn't want the money.....
Thanks

#11 ·
I think my greed is getting to me. $1000 is a lot of money and I'm not swimming in it.

The extra work is worth it........

So now before I can put it back in as is. I have to fix my OH SH^&.
Here's what I did. While removing the shifter cable from the shift lever, I got my lefty/loosey, righty/thighty mixed up and turned the nut the wrong way. :eek:

Soon there after I heard a snap and a small clank in the trany pan. I'll have to fix what ever I broke before it will shift in a out of gears.

I'll concentrate on the engine for now. Once thats in the machine shop, I'll see what I broke in the trany. That will another post.

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.