Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How can I turn the Flywheel to get access to convert bolts
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 07:52 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

As you stand in front of the engine, for normal rotation you will turn it clockwise, or toward the driver's side. You can also turn it backwards if you go a little too far and something does not line up the way you want.

If you clamp a set of curved jaw vice grips on the outer ring of the flywheel you can usually turn it by hand that way. The end of the jaws clamps over the outer ring and as you apply leveralge the vice grips will rotate until the inside of the jaws are up against the flywheel teeth. I've also slipped a section of pipe over the vice grips to get more leverage, but you don't need that if the plugs are out.

The vice grips are only good for turning it a short distance, but very useful to reach flywheel bolts or get timing marks to line up. I also painted a white line where the flywheel lines up at TDC, which saved a little time when adjusting valves. Just remember that it could be TDC for either 1 or 6.

Bruce