How to change 9inch axle seals? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2006, 11:10 PM
Meat-Head Extroidenaire

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How to change 9inch axle seals?

Well today i thought id pull the wheels off the ol cougar... wash em up nice like and ... to my surprise...yess indeed i have not 1 but 2 axle seals leaking! bahhh so i pull the tire off , take off the 4 nuts holding the axle in then.... whats the next steps .. from here i have no clue. i kinda wish i had another 9inch to play with and learn from but alass ...

anyways thanks for any help

bill
ps. is it just the seals gone or could there be anything else wrong in there.. i know for a fact its gear fluid and not brakefluid thanks again ! (y)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2006, 11:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

If you have the 4 nuts undone that hold the bearing retainer plate in you can pull the axle out . Grab the axle flange and pull. If that doesn't get it free, (it probably wont) Try tapping it with a hammer a few sharp raps. (don't get too wild here with the hammer) You may need to get a slide hammer with a crows foot adapter on the flange to break the axle free. In a pinch you can use the brake drum with a couple of pieces of thin wood between it and the backing plate. put 3 lug nuts on 3 studs in a "Y" pattern and start turning them in evenly until the axle comes free. If you see the drum center flexing alot stop Use a junk drum if you have one. Stack up more wood if you run out of stud length.(I really hate doing it that way,) Once you have the axle out you replace the seal. Use a little silicone on the outer part of the seal where it contacts the rear end housing. Check the axle bearing for looseness. It should spin freely but not rattle. It is a sealed bearing. make sure that it's seals are intact. There should be no roughness when you spin it. If you are in doubt have the automotive machine shop check it. Check the area that the seal rides on . It should not be grooved excessively. Put a little gear oil on the seal lip. When you replace the axle in the housing be sure not to drag the rough axle shaft over the seal. Check your brake shoes for oil contamination and replace them if necessary. Hope this helps, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 03-13-2006, 12:07 AM

Last photo:

Make sure to check the vent tube, a clogged vent is a common cause of seal failure.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:33 PM

Last photo:

Good advise on the ford stuff. I have a 66 mustang and just finished this job + new bearings on the axles + sending differential to be rebuilt. The only thing I would add (if ya'll don't mind me jumping in ) is when you spin the bearing that's on the axle, it should offer quite a bit of resistance to just spinning. If it just spins freely on the axle, it has lost all of it's grease and will soon fail. It should turn by hand, but if you spin it and release...it should not go round and round like a wheel. Just one of those odd things about a "sealed" type bearing. Hope this helps...
Old 03-14-2006, 10:34 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott
Make sure to check the vent tube, a clogged vent is a common cause of seal failure.
Those pesky dirt dobbers love to make a nest in that little tube
Old 03-14-2006, 11:11 PM
Meat-Head Extroidenaire

Last photo:

well Ive come to the conclusion that the decease was the vent tube , and will be changing it post haste ! also i will forgo checking the seals and bearings and i will install all new as well as the carrier bearings and seal.. why not right?! And as well figured out that i have sealed bearings with the seal inside of the tube and not at the end. Once again thanks

bill C

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.