How To change to Disk Brakes 1967 Camaro - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2003, 03:29 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How To change to Disk Brakes 1967 Camaro

I want to change to disk brakes on my 67 camaro with out changing the spindles using GM parts , i have changed 55s and my 63 impala and others with a bracket kit that bolts to drum brake spindle and uses all GM parts to change, This is a lot cheaper than the Kits every one offering these days ! Anyone have info on this ? Thanx Scott

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2003, 05:14 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I think discs were an option on 67s, although probably rare. My friend had a 67 Chevelle with discs, so I would imagine that Camaros could be had with them. Even if you have to change spindles, it's not that big a deal.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:01 AM
Rebuilt Excitment

Last photo:

The drum and disk spindles are different from what I understand. Trying to find 67 disk brake parts might be a little difficut. I would just get a kit from someone like Master Power. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:23 AM
Last photo:

I agree, trying to find an original 67 with disk brakes is going to be more difficult than finding a conservative in the entertainment industry.

You are more apt to find a early to mid 70's Cutlass, or Monte Carlo to get the spindals, calipers, booster, and valve off of.

Or, just buy a conversion kit.

Vince
Old 11-03-2003, 10:58 AM
Air Trans

Last photo:

Finding a 67 original disc will be difficult. They came with 4 piston calipers and run $199 plus core. The spindles and steering arm are differnt than drum. There is hope though. 68 and 69 camaros came with single piston calipers and are $49. You can also find spindles and disc brakes off 68-74 novas and clones.

Do a search on the knowledge base here and you can find more info. search for 67 Camaro disc.

Also do a search quick on ebayof this

64-72 Chevelle 67-69 Camaro Disc Brakes

They are going for $279 right now great deal.

little over 2 hours left on auction
Old 11-03-2003, 04:56 PM

Last photo:

I found what i was looking for in a FireBird site not a thing in the knowledge base except the Big money stuff 7-$900 or more!I think i can do this for less than $500 Buying the spindles new from GM they still sell them, new rotors rebuilt calipers,and try to Find the caliper brackets in the boneyard GM sells them to .I have my used parts man checking at work for the whole works ?not many around here any more! Thank for all the info, Scott
Old 11-03-2003, 05:46 PM

You can use your drum spindles with slight modifications. You have a PM on the way to help you out
Old 11-03-2003, 06:55 PM

Last photo:

Thanks i got it , I felt sure this could be dun with stock parts.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:04 PM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

The knowledge base has all the change over information that you need. You can find the parts easy for less than $300.

Troy
Old 11-04-2003, 02:25 AM

Last photo:

The spindles can be machined to work. You might try try www.camaros.net , look for a post by davidpozzi, & then click on his site. He has lots of info on 1st. gen Camaros. Also, I think someone sells machined ones on an exchange basis. Try www.stevesnovasite.com Q & A section.

67 & 68 used the leak-prone 4-piston calipers, but later single-pistons will work. 69 Camaros, 69-74 Novas, & 69-72 Chevelles have what you need. Also GM clones of those cars. If you get Chevelle parts, you should use your Camaro steering arms, as the Chevelle ones will not work. Check David's site for info on different length steering arms. Might just get quicker steering in the deal too.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:17 PM

Last photo:

Great Site !! Thanks; jimfulco I had trouble finding a complete list to rob the parts from..
Old 11-26-2003, 10:59 PM

If you are thinking of changing to the '71 and later spindles, watch out! The mounting to the frame has a different geometry, which can be made to work but you will end up with about 3/4" more shims than stock and may have an interference problem with the steering column or the exhaust. The trick way to go is buy the aftermarket tubular upper control arms bare for about $270 and get the ball joints and bushings somewhere cheap. That way you can run the "tall" spindles from, say, an '80s IROC or '71 and later Camaro/Firebird (many other A-, B-, C-, and X-bodies also) and get the benefit of better steering geometry. These spindles keep the tire flat to the road in corners, drop the ride height about 1 inch and lower the roll center for better high-speed stability. And once the money is spent, the car will be better forever. You can also incorporate the steering box from a Camaro or Firebird with this for more responsive steering.

One thing-- the '74 Nova was a rear steer, yours is front steer. If you run the '74 Nova spindles, just swap sides and you are good to go.
Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:29 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

Don't you ever check the date on the post that you are answering? He probably had the brakes changed several weeks ago. But you did have some good advice.

Troy
Old 11-27-2003, 10:28 AM

You can use the later camaro and mid size disc brakes on your '67. Find a junker and take the whole spindle and brake mounting portion of the setup. Someone here gave you a list of donor cars, there are a dozen or so. It does not have to be chevy, the pontiacs, olds etc of the era will work. When you take your drum setup off, you will see that half of yours and half of the disc steering parts are needed to bolt your suspension to the newer disc setup. There is one bolt head which may have to be ground down a little to clear the rotor. Don't get talked into an aftermarked setup. I did mine for about $100 including the junk parts, rebuilding the caliper, new seals and installation. Remember that you will also have to change your master cylinder because the disc caliper uses more fluid flow than the drum wheel cylinder. When you find the disc brakes, use the same master cylinder and proportioning valve that the car had and it will work on yours.

It is also a great improvement in braking.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.