Hot Rod Forum banner

How to change oil in Ford 8"

3K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Irelands child 
#1 ·
' Ford rear has no drain plug. Any suggestions how to drain & refill without taking all apart??

#8 ·
yragat said:
' Ford rear has no drain plug. Any suggestions how to drain & refill without taking all apart??
A lot of the 8" housings didn't have a drain. You need to loosen the bolts and let it drain. Just fill it until it comes out of the fill hole. Unfortunately all the crap will be in the bottom of the housing so if you dont pull the axles and the pumpkin, most of the crap will remain in the housing.

#9 ·
I'm thinking about drilling the bottom and putting a 1/4" pipe plug in it or possibly one of the self tapping plugs they make-----whats the thoughts on that? I figure if any small shavings go in from the drill,maybe when the oil comes out it will bring them with it????

#10 ·
I guess I've never seen an 8" without a drain, but since they are so easy to pull the pumpkin - drive shaft, 4 nuts at each axle, 10 around the circumference and out it comes.

I truly hope there is no crud on the bottom. If there is, it WILL get expensive - soon.

To put a drain in the bottom, you not only need to drill the hole, you need to weld in a 'bung' for the threads. That housing is sheet metal, probably about 16ga. Ford punched a hole then threaded the raised steel on most of their rear ends

#11 ·
Irelands child said:
I guess I've never seen an 8" without a drain, but since they are so easy to pull the pumpkin - drive shaft, 4 nuts at each axle, 10 around the circumference and out it comes.

I truly hope there is no crud on the bottom. If there is, it WILL get expensive - soon.

To put a drain in the bottom, you not only need to drill the hole, you need to weld in a 'bung' for the threads. That housing is sheet metal, probably about 16ga. Ford punched a hole then threaded the raised steel on most of their rear ends
I didn't realize it was that thin of metal. Maybe I'll just wait till winter and tear it apart---too busy driving it now--don't know when or if oil was ever changed in it. Can't understand why Ford didn't put a drain in it????

#19 ·
Irelands child said:
Not fun, messy and slow ----- but it does work.

Same car but with the top and hood on. Does look different though. I need a better photo and will soon (if the rains ever stop)

Dave W
I sold my 26 T and now have a 30 Roadster----What I always wanted---didn't build it---Price was right

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.