Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   How to change oil in Ford 8" (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/how-change-oil-ford-8-a-200835.html)

yragat 06-23-2011 03:12 PM

How to change oil in Ford 8"

' Ford rear has no drain plug. Any suggestions how to drain & refill without taking all apart??

richard stewart 3rd 06-23-2011 03:57 PM

Hi yragat
Opening up the housing is the only way to do this. Also if your
changing over to synthetic gear oil, it's not compatible with Dino oil, so all the old stuff needs to be cleaned out very well.
Rich
PS Refill amount about 41/2 pints

lmsport 06-23-2011 03:58 PM

You can buy a suction tool that will suck the oil out of the fill hole. Most oil change shops have such a tool as they dont usually drop the pan to change ATF.

MOPARINMYCAR 06-23-2011 04:09 PM

Ẁhilst on the subject of ford axles I also need to know what type of oil and also how much is needed? in a 9 inch this is a dry axle as it just had a rebuild.

richard stewart 3rd 06-23-2011 04:16 PM

Hi MOPARINMYCAR

Your 9" is about 5 pints If your using Dino oil you want 90w
if using synthetic (synthetic is what I'd use) 75-90
Rich

MOPARINMYCAR 06-23-2011 04:23 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Richard but what is dino oil ? sorry Im in the UK so not up tp speed with the US terminology :)

richard stewart 3rd 06-23-2011 04:32 PM

Dino oil is the standard oil you've been using for years, oil from the ground is referred to as Dino oil, decaying dinosaurs. I personally use only synthetic oils.
Rich

T-bucket23 06-23-2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yragat
' Ford rear has no drain plug. Any suggestions how to drain & refill without taking all apart??

A lot of the 8" housings didn't have a drain. You need to loosen the bolts and let it drain. Just fill it until it comes out of the fill hole. Unfortunately all the crap will be in the bottom of the housing so if you dont pull the axles and the pumpkin, most of the crap will remain in the housing.

yragat 06-23-2011 05:04 PM

I'm thinking about drilling the bottom and putting a 1/4" pipe plug in it or possibly one of the self tapping plugs they make-----whats the thoughts on that? I figure if any small shavings go in from the drill,maybe when the oil comes out it will bring them with it????

Irelands child 06-23-2011 05:55 PM

I guess I've never seen an 8" without a drain, but since they are so easy to pull the pumpkin - drive shaft, 4 nuts at each axle, 10 around the circumference and out it comes.

I truly hope there is no crud on the bottom. If there is, it WILL get expensive - soon.

To put a drain in the bottom, you not only need to drill the hole, you need to weld in a 'bung' for the threads. That housing is sheet metal, probably about 16ga. Ford punched a hole then threaded the raised steel on most of their rear ends

yragat 06-23-2011 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irelands child
I guess I've never seen an 8" without a drain, but since they are so easy to pull the pumpkin - drive shaft, 4 nuts at each axle, 10 around the circumference and out it comes.

I truly hope there is no crud on the bottom. If there is, it WILL get expensive - soon.

To put a drain in the bottom, you not only need to drill the hole, you need to weld in a 'bung' for the threads. That housing is sheet metal, probably about 16ga. Ford punched a hole then threaded the raised steel on most of their rear ends

I didn't realize it was that thin of metal. Maybe I'll just wait till winter and tear it apart---too busy driving it now--don't know when or if oil was ever changed in it. Can't understand why Ford didn't put a drain in it????

alittle1 06-23-2011 08:37 PM

It would have cost Henry another six bits.

sqzbox 06-23-2011 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yragat
I didn't realize it was that thin of metal. Maybe I'll just wait till winter and tear it apart---too busy driving it now--don't know when or if oil was ever changed in it. Can't understand why Ford didn't put a drain in it????

They put them on the gas tank. :D

enjenjo 06-23-2011 10:11 PM

Take one of the carrier mounting bolts loose on the bottom. With the nut just started on the bolt, knock the bolt into the housing with a hammer. The oil will drain around the bolt. Pull the bolt back into place with the nut, and refill.

yragat 06-23-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enjenjo
Take one of the carrier mounting bolts loose on the bottom. With the nut just started on the bolt, knock the bolt into the housing with a hammer. The oil will drain around the bolt. Pull the bolt back into place with the nut, and refill.

Thanks,I'll try that
Gary