Hot Rod Forum banner

How to check if torque converter is good

19K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  adtkart 
#1 ·
Hi. I got a torque converter for th-350 and i was wondering how you could check the converter to see if it was good. I was told that the only thing you can really do is put it in there and see if it works. I also heard that they dont wear out too often so i shouldnt worry about it.

thanks

#2 ·
The only thing that I know about checking a converter is to reach inside with your fingers and see if the rotating assembly inside will spin smoothly. Be sure to fill the converter with fluid and spin it quite a bit, afterwards dump out the fluid and do the procedure again. This will insure that any trash in the converter gets flushed out before you install it. You are right about installing and hoping for the best.
I would look into buying a new converter just to be on the safe side. The amount of work that it takes to replace the converter afterwards certainly justifies the cost of a new one now. You also may be taking the chance of a trashed converter taking out you otherwise good transmission. On the other hand, I know all about being on a tight budget and needing to get your ride on the road. I have been known more than once to pull an engine from a salvage yard and bolt her into my ride with nothing more than new oil seals and a whole lot of HOPE!

#3 ·
One suggestion, if the converter came out of a car that was wrecked, I would avoid using that converter. Once things twist a little, especially in the tranny area, they are never quite right. That is just my own experience and opinion.

#4 ·
There is a way to check a convertor. You need to use a pair of flat type of snap ring pliars to turn the larger splines inside. There is a 1-way sprague inside there. The splines should turn easy one way and be tighter the other way. You should also check to see if there is excessive play. The easiest way it to take it to a trans shop and ask them to check it, as they would know what is excessive.
As far as getting one out to a car that was wrecked and having problems because of twisting, that's crazy. If anything twisted enough to damage the convertor, the trans case would be broken. There is quite a bit of play available when the convertor is in place. I have never seen a convertor that was damaged in an accident. The only times I have ever seen damage to an automatic transmission during an accident, was either from a direct impact causing a broken case or other external parts, or if the vehicle was in park when hit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.