Is this how cleam my parts are supposed to be? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2008, 02:45 PM

Last journal entry: Some finished pictures
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Is this how cleam my parts are supposed to be?

Hello everyone,

I have been fighting to get my sandblast cabinet to work properly and this is what I am getting (pics at bottom). I have a 5hp 60 gal compressor with drying rack and am using aluminum oxide media.

This doesn't look as clean as it should be but to get it cleaner I have to hold the gun close and keep it there for awhile but that takes an unacceptably long time. I am currently using the smallest nozzle my set came with (don't have the exact size but smaller the 1/4 inch).

Am I expecting too much or is my system falling short.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2008, 07:10 PM

Heres the stuff you need to get that rust out.

http://www.1969supersport.com/sandblst.html

fourth picture down, its $7 a bag now. But be carefull I use supplied air when i'm bead or sandblasting.

Rob

http://www.1969supersport.com
Old 06-12-2008, 07:28 PM

Last photo:

I agree with Rob about using fine sand and from those pics your parts look as if they sure enough could stand some more work. I always hesitate to recommend silica sand but because of the health hazards not because it does not work well, it does work quite well for what you are doing. With the small nozzle and anything over 60 PSI pressure those pits will probably clean up with little effort, just be aware of the hazards of breathing silica dust. Even in an enclosed blasting cabinet wear breathing protection at all times preferably the supplied air system like rob mentioned but if not then a good paint spray respirator should be OK, a dust mask is NOT good enough. Silica is very dangerous and you can get enough from just one exposure to cause harm but it does not have to happen since it is fairly easy to deal with.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:27 PM

Last photo:

Thanks guys,

I thought the Aluminum Oxide was the most aggressive media and don't even see the sand at the place I buy it:

http://www.tptools.com/dg/183_Abrasi...ing-Media.html

Is it called something else on their site? This place is close to me and I like getting stuff there.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:15 PM

Heres where they use it.

Underlayment for Patios/Walks
Epoxy systems & industrial coatings
Specialized cement mixtures
Landscaping

Rob

http://www.1969supersport.com
Old 06-12-2008, 10:17 PM

Last photo:

I just love the labels on bags of play sand (that's what it is called on the bag) sold at Wally World, Home Depot, Lowes, etc-

The label lists such uses as play lots and children's sandboxes and this label is located just above the one that reads in bold letters

"Caution do not breath dust created by this product, doing so can cause serious harm or death"!
Old 06-15-2008, 02:30 PM
Stroke Meister

Last photo:

Silica makes up about 25% (wgt) of the earth's crust. Don't wanna breath that now do we.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroke
Silica makes up about 25% (wgt) of the earth's crust. Don't wanna breath that now do we.

DON'T belittle the dangers of breathing silica! It does not take much to cause some serious harm and you can get enough in one session with a sandblaster to cause some serious hurt or even kill you. There certainly is a lot of silica in the Earths crust but that is what's known as "bonded" silica and what we are talking about here is free silica. A sandblaster is nothing to snicker at and improper, or lack of, precautions to protect yourself from the dust produced from using silica containing sand can be deadly!
Old 06-16-2008, 09:44 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Silica sand can also leave a residue that can hinder a paint job if not thoroughly cleaned. Most powder coating places recommend using an aluminum oxide over silica sand for that reason.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:17 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin45
Most powder coating places recommend using an aluminum oxide over silica sand for that reason.
Correct me if I'm wrong (not sure where I saw/read this), but some are also relying on chemical dips as well. Particularly after clearing the really greasy stuff off.

In a while, Chet.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:38 PM

Last photo:

I heard that after removing the major rust you can soak it vineger to remove the rest. May be a better alternative to using a dangerous media.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:18 PM

Last photo:

Navel jelly or Ospho will dissolve out the remaining rust, get it at any of the home stores, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. The Ospho is a watery Phosphoric acid solution and the Navel jelly is just that, a jellied form of the same stuff. The Navel jelly will cling to surfaces and all you have to do is apply, let sit, brush with a stiff brush, repeat as necessary. Same thing with the Ospho except you have to stay with it to keep it wet. Advance Auto has a version of the Ospho called "The Right Stuff" I think and it is about the same thing only cheaper but Ospho is not expensive anyway. This is a mild acid (same acid found in soft drinks but in a stronger solution) that is very safe to use but be careful about spilling it on concrete or wood. Usually what I do is to use Ospho to remove the last traces of the rust then I wash it clean with soapy water then hit it with the blaster to remove any traces of the acid and flash rust from the soap and water rinse, leaves the metal completely clean.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:01 PM

Last photo:

Put enough coats of paint on it...it will smooth out!

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.