Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How To Clean The Floor Pan
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 07:07 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
use a heat gun . cheap at hf and wont burn down your garage.
Harbor freight?????? Not you too ,Shine......
No one should ever use acetylene to heat up undercoating ,what we use is the small ,blue Propane bottles...The diffuser tip is the wide ,oval tip that slips over the torch tip very little flame comes out. its what house painters use to strip paint off old wood houses.(by softening up the paint)..I'm sure someone ,somewhere could start a fire an burn down their garage with a propane torch but that same person would be using the heat gun outside in the rain.or painting a car with a kerosene salamander for heat.
.Someone mentioned using common sense....

I've used both, the heat gun works ,its just way too slow for me,especially if I'm working upside down and on my back..The feature I like most on my torch is the one finger on/off switch,you can set it down without fumbling around or using a striker to light it....
BTW, you dont need an open flame to start a car on fire, mig welders start more fires than a cutting torch ever did,Mostly because the danger is obvious and people are prepared if something goes wrong...Everything in this business is dangerous so...use common sense and be prepared ,just in case...Just having a water hose around isnt good enough and mostly useless for the type of fires that would happen working on cars...You NEED Fire extinguishers that are charged and properly rated....and dont go to HF for them either....
If your thinking of working on cars at your home the fire extinguishers go in before the car does...