how come i always have to beat the crap out of my crank? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2004, 02:31 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

how come i always have to beat the crap out of my crank?

new timing gears/chain. had to literally beat the damned crank gear on with a punch and a hammer! what gives? i worked my way around the gear with every stroke but still. this can't be a good thing. then the harmonic balancer is basically the same thing. doesnt seem like it's on all the way still, but it's the same crank/balancer i took off. i like to use a nice 8x8" block about 18" long to pound it on. i tried to screw on my last one and stripped all the threads out and had to retap (bogus unit from summit that had to be re-machined AND shortened) , so on this one i'm hesitant to use an "installation tool". i got it on as far as i think it will go, the bolt is tight and turning the engine over(w/o plugs in), but there is a mark on the snout of it i can still see that seems to me could only have been put there by the front seal. i hate these frikken things! (ps the cam gear and crank gear lined up really good before i put the cover on)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2004, 02:44 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Heat up your crank gear in the old ladies oven. That expands it and it will slip right on. If you do a lot of balancers you should find a long piece of threaded rod with the same threads as the balancer bolt. Then you can thread that in and with a nut, pull it on.

Budget RVs
Old 05-25-2004, 05:55 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Another good one is put it in boiling water, that way you can carry the pot wherever you're working and it will stay hot right until the moment you need it.

Mike
Old 05-26-2004, 11:58 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

i did the oven thing when i had a brand new balancer. this one is the one part i didnt clean all the grease off of. my wife would shoof me if i stuck it in her oven. i left it in the sun and the crank was in the shade and it went on pretty easy. the point is i am not sure it is on all the way. i see what looks like a wear line on the snout out in front of the cover that seems to me it should be farther in. i will know when i bolt on all the pulleys, but i dont want to find out then. that s the hard way, like i've been learning everything else.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:06 PM

They should fit tight. Lube the bore and the shaft with oil. I've put over 100 engines together and have never stripped the crank threads. Trust me, it's much easier with the correct tools. The installation will not strip the thread because you have full thread engagement before the threads are under tension. Also the threads won't be turning inside of each other so they won't try cross thread.
You think thick that you're having bad luck, I've had people bring me cars that they had broken the broken the bolt off in the crank by trying to pull the balancer on with the crank bolt. They thought that some how I should be able to get the piece of bolt out and fix the threads without pulling the motor.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:45 AM

Last photo:

heat should make the metal expand making the hole smaller but hey if it works do it,maybe because it makes the metal softer, when i was in college to fix airplanes we used to freeze our bearings to make them fit easier and you wouldnt have to force them as much bc the metal compresses on itself im not sure if it really made that much of a difference but we did it anyways lol
Old 06-14-2004, 02:00 AM

Last journal entry: Dug up some old pics
Last photo:

HEHEHEHE BOGGIE
just find a peice of stainless tube that wil fit over the crank and whack it on. the only reason its tight is cause its probabnly not going on square, plenty of lub helps too. With the balancer you will hear a different sound so youll know its on
Old 06-14-2004, 06:22 AM
Marcel

Last journal entry: Choo-choo town
Last photo:

balancers

I, to have never had trouble with installin a balancer. I didn't beat it on although I have hammered them on. The main thing I try to do is make sure the balancer is straight with the shaft. Also make sure the device you us to push it on is screwed al way in. Don't try to lock it tight tho, if it does brake, it'll be harder to get out. I've made puller (or pusher) for thirty year with no problem. I you're cheap ( thrify) use and old bal. bolt, saw the head off, and well a piece of allthread on the cut end. Be sure to grind a point on the ends which are going together, then you can grind down the extra ( over size) of weld. I don't use a bearing, but if you had one , it'd be good I D er. I do put some grease between the washer and the nut to make (reduce friction) it easyer. Heat does expand metal, just don't get to hot, it also distorts it. Make sure you leave it in the heat long enough to compretely heat it . If you heating it with a torch, becareful not to over heat, itll mess up the rubber moumt in the bal. Also heat from the out side in, because it do expand and you want the out side to expand first, this prevents it from expanding inward and closing the hole. Sorry this was so long. Its easy if you've done it forever. And anythings easy if you've never don 'it.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
heat should make the metal expand making the hole smaller but hey
thats a funny misconception... wrong, but funny.

heat does make the metal expand, and as it expands, the circumference grows and the hole in turn becomes larger.. so heating does make the hole grow..
Old 06-15-2004, 11:17 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

"how come i always have to beat the crap out of my crank?"

Sam,,, please,,, don't make me answer that one !!! You'll go blind, if ya don't KNOCK IT OFF !

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.